Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - Sony 36-CD box-set - November 11th 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Sep 27, 2016.

1. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

There's a few errors here and there in Judas!. Something about the date of the Lennon limo ride. And he says that Dylan was playing a Martin guitar at the Paris Olympia show.

However, reportedly it was Clinton Heylin himself who urged/recommended that Sony/Columbia/Dylan release all of the 1966 tour recordings in one shebang (minus a few reels that were missing or duplicated, ie., Richard Alderson's Manchester electric Nagra set, etc.) - instead of just a selection of shows. This turned out to be Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - the 36-cd set that we know and louvre, and is the subject of this thread.

Based on this, I have vowed to never say anything 'bad' about Heylin again. He can claim that he knows what Dylan's future songs are about, and what Dylan is thinking at this very moment in time, and that would be fine with me.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  2. rihajarvi

rihajarvi Forum Resident

a frenzied, cross-continental investigation of shirt sleeves, backdrops, audience reactions and dvd extras – or, as we like to call it, just another day in dylanland on the shf

Crispy Rob, HominyRhodes and SlimLee like this.
  3. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

I got this about 6 months ago, ridiculouslycheap, still haven't opened it. Its a bit daunting.

So is this thread, but I'll have to pick through for highlights and recommendations.

4. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I feel ya. I opened my box to read the (disappointing) booklet, but have yet to play a single disc. Like you, I just kind of look at it and become overwhelmed. It therefore falls to the bottom of the playlist.

Strange box set. I'm not playing it, and it's not even on "to play" stack. Yet there it is. You can't even sell it, because the postage would be killer. :D

johnnybrum likes this.
  5. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Paris, Newcastle, RAH 1 (to experience the majesty), RAH 2 (to hear the tolltaker taketh; just don't listen to this first), Liverpool, Dublin and Glasgow (this route was our friend Mitchum's itinerary).

You'll discover your own favorite shows or instances, of which there are lots to appreciate.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  6. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Just pick a concert at random from the first 31 CDs and play it.

7. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

If my mem'ry serves me well, in "Judas" Clinton was less than accurate in his reporting of the backstage conversation(s) Bob had with Allen Ginsberg in December 1965. Clinton reports them as one conversation held at one of the Berkeley shows the week before. Sleuths here determined later, on the release of the so-called "Ginsberg Tapes" in 2017, that they took place at two different venues (San Francisco, 11 Dec and San Jose, 12 Dec). These are understandable errors given the book was published before the tapes were released. However, he has since gone on record to question the findings here that "Berkeley" is in fact San Jose, and appears to remain welded to the notion that he is correct. It's not a major problem, just a bit tiresome.

I kind of agree with this despite his claim that the BOTT First Acetate is probably a fake and a number of other faux pas over the years. If he cut out the personal attacks on other writers and musicians, producers and, well, everyone his books would be more pleasant but I don't expect to stop buying them any time soon.

mickdoby and HominyRhodes like this.
  8. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Must admit, I only play the acoustic sets, as I find the electric sets spotty at best.

budwhite likes this.
  9. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

I've not only vowed to never say anything bad about Heylin again, I've also stopped reading him!

Dark Horse 77 and HominyRhodes like this.
  10. Percy Song

:laughup:

HominyRhodes and notesfrom like this.
  11. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

When I first got the set I spent about a month or so listening to a concert per day in the order of the discs, but I can understand that that may even be too much for some. Fortunately, at that time I was on a real Dylan-kick so it was a breeze.

Just take it one show at a time, you've got nothing to lose!

DeeThomaz likes this.
  12. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

I posted this in another thread, but listening to the 10/30/65 Hartford It Ain't Me Babe and I really love the arrangement - it's a shame Dylan dropped this in 1966

NumberEight and anth67 like this.
  13. strat95

strat95 Senior Member

14. The top link is the original American release. The bottom link is merely an import version which appears to be from Japan. They are identical except where the discs were pressed.

15. Percy Song

They are the same thing. The initial run of box sets worldwide sold out on pre-order and so further sets were manufactured. They may be manufactured in different territories but the contents are identical.

It is terrific, by the way. Truly wondrous!

16. strat95

strat95 Senior Member

Thanks for the info Phantom & Percy.

Do you think that Limited Initial Pressing has more collectibility? Is it identifiable? By the bar code perhaps?

17. If it's a real Japanese pressing, that may have some limited additional collectibility over a domestic set. Japanese releases tend to get a premium over domestic versions from certain collectors.

I'm just speaking in general, I haven't really investigated or followed this set since buying it day one.

18. strat95

strat95 Senior Member

Just looked on discogs, not that all info there is accurate, but they only show 2 versions, the Japanese as you mention Phantom, and the rest of the world.

It is peculiar that the limited initial pressing costs more if it is identical to the subsequent pressings.

19. Percy Song

I don't think it has any more value; it's not like it's a white label promo or a mis-pressing or anything like that. I'd say it's unlikely to have a different bar-code.

The important thing is to get one before all the stock is gone; they won't be pressing any more!

You might actually find a new one cheaper elsewhere, like eBay. There are Chinese counterfeits on the market, so be careful.

20. strat95

strat95 Senior Member

Again, the "limited" in the product description and higher price leads you to think there is something more or better? No need to spend more money for nothing then.

I have searched ebay and it seems that's where a lot of the counterfeit box sets get sold, unless there are reputable sellers, but how would one know for sure?

21. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I think most people know in their gut that something is a counterfeit. Usually price tips you off. Then there's item location. Under the price there is an "Item Location" line - NEVER EVER, EVER, believe that. Instead, scroll lower down under the listing until you find the "Business Seller Information" box. This is likely where your product is.

For box sets, I don't ever want bootlegs - so I don't buy from China or Hong Kong. For Japanese Mini LP.s I stay away from Eastern Europe.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  22. strat95

strat95 Senior Member

There are many stories online of people buying counterfeits when they are advertised and the read deal. They receive them and then find spelling errors on the packaging!

Thanks for the tips.

I hope these counterfeiters don't get smarter with the way they operate, thus fooling more people.

Hopefully they don't find a good spell checker either!

23. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Some of the bootlegs are actually quite good. How many Bowie booxes do you think they sold? And those are easy to spot, because the CD's are silver instead of gold. Yet there were lots of them out there. I know there was a bootleg Dylan Complete box, because I've seen that first hand. Comparing it with my own, original copy, the CD's were quite rough in feel - with sharp edges almost. The card sleeves were more cheaply made than the real deal - but the book itself was actually quite good.

For box sets I want, I just don't bother to cheap-out on them. I likely overpay. But that's okay. I accept it. I want original box sets. I rarely go cheap with them these days. Take the Jethro Tull bootlegs that arte missing the booklet. WTF?

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  24. floyd

floyd Senior Member

I ordered the set off Amazon warehouse deals it said “used like new” for $70. I know it has actually been at that price or near for a new one but I missed those deals, and eventhough it will probably get to that price again I decided to just get it. The few times I have ordered from warehouse I have been pretty happy.
    I would think I don’t have to worry about a counterfeit one, but I suppose some unscrupulous person could return a counterfeit one to get a real one, but I don’t know if someone would go to that much trouble.

Vaughan likes this.
  25. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

I bought a deluxe bob box from somewhere Eastern (forget where) at a too-good-to-be-true, and when it turned up it was a genuine!

I think it was the "Another self portrait" one. I know that the record labels often ship 'cheap' copies to the far east to counteract the counterfeit versions: a long time back I bought a cassette from hmv in Singapore or Bangkok that was £2, where I also saw a fake version in a market for £1. I don't know how effective this policy is, if money is tight then even at such a slight price difference people might well make to with the fake one.