JBL is reissuing the classic L100 speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Monsieur Gadbois, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

Drop the credentials and think outside of the box. Most of the music I love was never even recorded as an “absolute sound”

Dennis0675 likes this.
  2. Dale Smith

Dale Smith Well-Known Member

3. Dale Smith

Dale Smith Well-Known Member

I agree, back in the 1970’s JBL were the speakers we all wanted . Those lucky enough to own a pair had bragging rights. JBL’s were in most recording studios and used at most concerts.
    My first real Stereo consisted of a Marantz receiver, Dual TT and the Large Advents. I saved money and finally purchased my dream system...McIntosh Integrated Amp, Thorens TT and JBL L00’s.
    I updated to Newer McIntosh gear including their CD player but kept the L100’s for 43 years. I finally sold them for insane money to an advid collector.
    I would have loved to have purchased JBL again, but have not seen their speakers at any of the better audio shops. They seemed to have gone the boom box route.
    JBL owned the Speakers market in the 1970’s They made great drivers and excellent marketing.
    If the L100 Classics sounds as good as they look, I will be a buyer.

ssmith3046 and 360-12 like this.
  4. One of the high en audio shops in the Seattle area just got them in. I just want to hear them but I’m not a buyer now. Just Want to compare to my original pair.

5. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

If you are saying you agree with the quote "JBL.com has nothing about these speakers", check the proper website L100 Classic - JBL Synthesis

6. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

I just heard them at RMAF in Denver, and a lot of people were saying they are "bright" sounding, but I think they sound the way JBL wants them to sound. I thought they sounded bright, and that's with my 64 year old ears. Not saying they sounded bad, though. Actually interesting to listen to. If you just mainly want to "rock out", they'll get the job done.

7. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Do these come in left and right diver layout, in pairs, or the left and right speaker have identical layouts?

8. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

I want to hear these speakers but my local dealer can’t even get a pair out of the box! He’s already sold 5 pair to people who haven’t even heard them. Just last Friday he let me know he had a pair in stock but by the time I got there, they were sold, again before he could unpack them.

Once the initial hype dies down, I’m sure I’ll finally get a chance to listen to them. I guess that may be after the holidays, though.

Fruff76 likes this.
  9. I have folks who come to my house and see my vintage pair downstairs. These are speakers that make them smile (they love the blue foam grills) and they all seem to like the sound. But these are not really audio folks and they are not used to listening to music through good systems. They don't seem to hear the difference between these vintage speakers downstairs and my newer B&W 70s upstairs.

10. Fruff76

They’re identical layouts.

11. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

I love large 12" or 15" 3-ways! Glad to see something like this coming out on today's market. Hopefully these sell well and inspire other large designs. It seems like most everything is a tower or bookshelf design these days. By the way Music Direct is calling these bookshelf speakers???

12. Fruff76

That’s exactly why I was compelled to review this and add my experience to the forums.

Eigenvector and BrentB like this.
  13. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

They are very amp dependent. Driving them with a Pass XP22 pre and 250.5 they sound amazing, big classic sound. No harshness or brightness at all. However when I moved them to my office and drove them with a Cambridge integrated they became bright, so I turned the tweeter down. I’ve ordered a Luxman L-505ux II to use with them, we’ll see what that does.
    They definitely need a sub, I’m using s Martin Logan sub with them.

Fruff76 likes this.
  14. Fruff76

What’s your impression with the sub?

15. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Works well. They are great if you are a fan of classic rock. Kick some serious a$$.
    Can’t say I’d want them in either of my main systems but in my office they are fun for non critical listening.

Shawn and Fruff76 like this.
  16. rocknron

rocknron Forum Resident

Hey Mazy, which shop in the Seattle area? I live in the area and would love to take a look and have a listen. P.S. I've been a member of this forum for many years and have enjoyed your posts and "cool pics" of your home and furnishings!

17. Gig Harbour Audio got a pair in. Not sure if for demo or a customer.

18. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I have been listening to a pair of Klipsch Heresys for almost 30 years. I wonder how the new L100's would compare. I'm using a SS amp, not tubes.

19. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

I finally got a chance to listen to these today! My dealer managed to get a pair out of the box and onto the floor before they were sold. They had only been played for a couple of hours before I heard them and they were in a big, open showroom so I was likely not hearing them at their best but I have to say I’m impressed! A pair of these may be following me home soon..........

[​IMG]

20. Fruff76

I have mine set up in the basement, which is a medium size room. The sound is big, and very forceful. I finally got around to getting my turntable hooked up last night and, WOW!

Manimal and Eigenvector like this.
  21. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

You won’t regret it. I now have them running with a Luxman amp and Martin Logan sub in my office and haven’t turned on the big systems in the last week.
    Zeppelin never sounded better.

22. Fruff76

Which copies are you using? Cd, vinyl, reissue? I have the reissued LZ 1 coming today on disc. I have an early vinyl pressing of 3 that is awesome and the Classic records quiex LZ 3 which is amazing. I also put on what I believe to be a very early pressing of Black Sabbath Black Sabbath last night and the JBL’s just crushed it!

23. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I just used my original US pressings. I have complete sets of all zep pressing but thoss were handy

Fruff76 likes this.
  24. Fruff76

My zep 3 is a little thin sounding. Maybe it’s a later pressing.

25. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

I find it strange they need a sub...

lobo, LitHum05, bruce2 and 1 other person like this.