Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Catching up a bit here, I Gotta Know is one of Elvis' most playful and enjoyable songs. I prefer it to the 1960 A-sides, actually.

Speaking of singles, I have no idea why RCA thought that releasing Milky White Way as a single in 1966 (!) was a good move from a commercial standpoint...but from an artistic point of view, it's an absolutely gorgeous song, with one of Elvis' sweetest, most sincere vocals (which is saying something, given that virtually everything he was recording at the time was sweet, and almost everything he recorded throughout his whole career was sincere). It's also quite atmospheric, which isn't something that one tends to think of when it comes to Elvis' music. This is definitely one of those gems that deserves to be better-known.

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  2. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

After the smash success of Crying In The Chapel after quite a drought, the Colonel thought releasing other "Easter Specials" on 45 from Elvis' gospel back catalog would also catch on. Didn't happen, even though they tried 3 times.

Dave112, RSteven, Shawn and 1 other person like this.
  3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Known Only To Him
    Written By :
    Stuart Hamblen

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, October 30-31, 1960: October 31, 1960. take 5

Again we have the piano accompaniment and Elvis using his full vocal range. These recordings seem to really accentuate how beautiful Elvis' voice was.

GillyT, Dave112 and RSteven like this.
  4. mark winstanley

I Believe In The Man In The Sky
    Written By :
    Richard Howard

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, October 30-31, 1960: October 30, 1960. take 4

This track starts with a tight vocal harmony with the backing singers and moves into a moderate tempo track that bounces along nicely. Elvis seems to really put in some very pretty, gentle vocals on this albums. Even any of the power singing is held back, unlike in his pop hits. It would seem out of reverence and it is so moving in its measured performance.

5. mark winstanley

Joshua Fit The Battle
    Written By :
    Traditional, arranged and adapted by Elvis Presley

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, October 30-31, 1960: October 31, 1960. take 4

Here we have another peppy, bouncy track that brings a bit of an up feel to the album.

GillyT, Shawn, Dave112 and 1 other person like this.
  6. mark winstanley

He Knows Just What I need
    Written By :
    Mosie Lister

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, October 30-31, 1960: October 30, 1960. take 10

Another track with a gentle sound and Elvis singing in his lower register and moving into his higher register. He certainly had a flexible voice during this period of time.

Dave112 and RSteven like this.
  7. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Elvis really does show off his very wide singing range in this stellar cut and really throughout the whole album. The sheer beauty in those scales are just mesmerizing. One of my favorite quotes about Elvis's voice range and its unique characteristics is the following one:

"I suppose you'd had to call him a lyric baritone, although with exceptional high notes and unexpectedly rich low ones. But what is more important about Elvis Presley is not his vocal range, nor how high, or low it extends, but where its center of gravity is. By that measure, Elvis was all at once a tenor, a baritone and a bass, the most unusual voice I've ever heard"
    - Gregory Sandows, Music Professor at Columbia University, published in "The Village Voice".

8. mark winstanley

and even more importantly for me .... he sang the song, it wasn't a gymnastics exercise

Dave Hoos, Dave112, Brian Mc and 3 others like this.
  9. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I am totally agreement with you here. As Peter Guralnick has pointed out many times before, there may have been singers born with more virtuosic singing skills, but no popular music singer has ever sung a song with more feeling and passion than Elvis, when he was fully connected with the material.

10. mark winstanley

11. mark winstanley

12. mark winstanley

Swing Down Sweet Chariot
    Written By :
    Traditional, arranged and adapted by Elvis Presley

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, October 30-31, 1960: October 31, 1960. take 4

"Swing Down Sweet Chariot" is a traditional spiritual song, a humorous variation of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot.

Popularised by the Golden Gate Quartet in the 1940s, it was recorded by Elvis Presley for his 1960 album His Hand in Mine then re-recorded for his 1969 film The Trouble with Girls. The 1960 version featured backing vocals by The Jordanaires, and the re-recording featured the Mello Men on backing vocals. The same variation of the song for "The Trouble With Girls" was reissued in the 2010 boxed set "The Complete Elvis Presley Masters"; but this time, it features an all-female group singing background vocals.

The song's chorus is quoted in the funk song "Mothership Connection (Star Child)" by Parliament.[1] That portion of "Mothership Connection" is, in turn, sampled by Dr. Dre in his Grammy Award-winning rap song, "Let Me Ride".[2]
    -----------------------------------------------
    This is an uptempo little song with really nicely arranged vocals. The interplay between the main vocal and the backing vocals give it some real rhythmic interest. This song is good fun and really shows that Elvis knew that as much as he loved Jesus, he wants folks to enjoy the album by keeping a good balance of more uptempo songs, so the album wasn't a dirge from start to finish.
    If Elvis had survived it would have been interesting to see if he would have done any production and arrangement for other artists.

Shawn, RSteven and Dave112 like this.
  13. mark winstanley

Mansion over the Hilltop
    Written By :
    Ira F. Stanphill

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, October 30-31, 1960: October 30, 1960. take 3
    Another sweet piano ballad. Lyrically speaking of the House that is being prepared for those saved by grace through faith.

RSteven and Dave112 like this.
  14. mark winstanley

21st December 1960. Elvis is inducted into the Los Angeles Indian Tribal Council

[​IMG]

artfromtex likes this.
  15. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

How cool. I bet he loved that!

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  16. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

mark winstanley likes this.
  17. mark winstanley

If We Never Meet again
    Written By :
    Albert E. Brumley

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, October 30-31, 1960: October 31, 1960. take 1

Again we have the piano and backing vocals making this songs base. This is a very traditional song and is sung, obviously beautifully. A restrained and tender song of longing to meet again in the Kingdom.

18. mark winstanley

Working On The Building
    Written By :
    Lillian M. Bowles & Winifred O. Hoyle

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, October 30-31, 1960: October 31, 1960. take 5

We finish the album we a bouncing traditional call and response gospel tune. I love this style of old school gospel song.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  19. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Me too. Probably my favourite track on the album.

mark winstanley likes this.
  20. mark winstanley

[​IMG]
    Elvis' January 1961, his 26th Birthday party

21. mark winstanley

With fans on the West Coast January 1961
    [​IMG]

artfromtex likes this.
  22. mark winstanley

More from Elvis' Birthday party
    [​IMG]

RSteven likes this.
  23. Madlove

Madlove Hare Hunter Field

He's signing a copy of Are You Lonesome Tonight?

24. mark winstanley

Easy reference guide
    1959 home recording
    - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Feb 23 1960

Touch Of Gold Vol 3 EP - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Mar 23 1960
    Stuck on you Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Fame And Fortune Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Apr 6 1960
    Elvis Is Back - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 1 Make Me Know It Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Fever Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Girl Of My Best Friend Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 I Will Be Home Again Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Dirty Dirty Feeling Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Thrill Of Your Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Soldier Boy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Such A Night Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 It Feels So Right Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Girl Next Door Went a Walkin' Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Like A Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Reconsider Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 12 1960
    Elvis - Frank Sinatra show - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jul 5 1969

It's Now Or Never Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Mess O' Blues Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Oct 1 1960
    GI Blues
    track 1 Tonight Is So Right For Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 What's She Really Like Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Frankfort Special Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Wooden Heart Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 GI Blues Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Pocket Full Of Rainbows Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Shoppin' Around Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Big Boots Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Didja Ever Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Blues Suede Shoes (revisited) Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Doin' The Best I Can Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 1 1960
    Are You Lonesome Tonight Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Live 1972 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    I Gotta Know Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 23 1960
    His Hand In Mine
    track 1 His Hand In Mine Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 I;m Gonna Walk Dem Golden Stairs Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 In My Fathers House Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Milky White Way Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Known Only To Him Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 I Believe In The Man In The Sky Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Joshua Fit The Battle Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 He Knows Just What I Need Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Swing Down Sweet Chariot Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Mansion On the Hilltop Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 If We Never Meet Again Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Working On The Building Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

RSteven likes this.
  25. mark winstanley

Sorry I got a little behind with the reference list guys

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.