HMV overtakes Amazon for physical music sales

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Jim B., Oct 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Of course, this is only for the UK.

3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Great news. Nice to see HMV doing well after it's near demise a few years ago.

DaveJ, ispace and Graham like this.
  4. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

HMV Record Shops in Japan were amazing not surprised at all

5. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

I'm surprised, as I've wandered in to HMV and it seems to be dominated by games and videos now.

scobb and sound chaser like this.
  6. Good news, I assume Fopp is a big part of this success.

DaveJ, AJK74, tin ears and 1 other person like this.
  7. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

and closed in Canada :cheers:

gregorya and melstapler like this.
  8. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

I'm guessing this includes HMV's online store too.

I noticed Amazon UK have an offer on at the moment that if you buy a CD or vinyl album they will give you three months access to Amazon Music. This is clearly an attempt to hook people on the latter and is almost giving a signal to customers I think that they don't really want us to buy physical product anymore, they would prefer us all to subscribe to their streaming service.

Giacomo Belbo likes this.
  9. FRom what I've read Amazon doesn't have an either/or approach. They want both, to sell products like cds, boxed sets, vinyl, and sell to services, like downloads and streaming.

10. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Does this include FOPP?

11. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

It doesn't surprise me, Amazon have been getting less and less competitive since the Channel Islands VAT loophole was closed and Sainsbury's gave up, they seem happy to leave a lot of the market to marketplace sellers and pocket their cut, they also seem to be getting a lot of listings wrong, recently I ordered "Halloween 3" soundtrack and sent me "Halloween 2" changing the listing to that, when I asked to return it and swap for 3 which was now £5 more expensive it couldn't be done, had a few similar experiences with Amazon over the last few years, CDs instead of vinyl etc. These days I spend most money with Universal's Sound Of Vinyl site, generally good prices and reliable service, the one occasion they forgot to send me a free tote bag they refunded the cost of the record to make up for it. I'm also buying a lot of new vinyl on eBay, especially when they have discount codes, a lot of Amazon marketplace sellers can be found there often with better prices or free postage, plus good independents such as Juno, I just wish my local shops were more competitive, but they don't seem bothered.

12. Squiggsy68

Squiggsy68 Forum Resident

The two stores nearest to me - Worthing (small to medium sized store) and Brighton (medium to large) don't carry games any more. I know - I was looking to buy Red Dead Redemption 2 from them on Friday as I have £50 in Pure Points on my card!

I'd reckon the split in those 2 stores by floor space is approx 40% DVD / BluRay, 25% CDs, 20% Vinyl and 15% Books, T-Shirts, Headphones etc.

13. Godbluff

Godbluff Forum Resident

They hardly have any games these days, since Hilco took them over five years back they seem to have decided to largely drop out of that market. They were a bit of a mess under the previous owners, selling all sorts of tat and losing focus on what they should be concentrating on, but these days they're much more music focused and the prices are pretty decent, usually the same and frequently less than Amazon.

hamicle likes this.
  14. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Could well be they've changed, as I'd given up on them and my last graze was probably 12 months ago.

It was only a matter of timing but the arrival of HMV in Lancaster caused a fantastic independent, Ere Ere Records, to close and I've never forgiven them, although I'm sure Amazon would have done the same if they'd been around. Even back in the day HMV's stock was limited and the staff clueless about music, want something obscure forget it, akin to the Devil in my eyes.

coffeetime likes this.
  15. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Congratulations HMV! Keep up the good work.

johnnybrum, SteveM and windfall like this.
  16. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

I remember Ere Ere! Back in 94-96, my wife (then girlfriend) was a student at S. Martin's. I was up there every weekend seeing her, and Ere Ere was part of the weekly shop along with Our Price etc. Back when a town having a university attached to it guaranteed at least one killer music store and often more.

17. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

Super news.:edthumbs:

melstapler likes this.
  18. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Yeah, thanks for closing all of your stores in Canada.
    Just thanks.

19. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

What is HMV?

20. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I was kinda surprised when they took over the That's Entertainment store in my home town. I half expected it to be vacant for months. Their prices match or are close to Amazon's. The CD selection is pretty deep (as deep as you could expect for a physical store), but the vinyl selection was quite small (although they did have a 2 for £25 sale).

21. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

A music chain in the UK (there's a HMV chain in Japan, but they are not the same business).

22. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I'm using Amazon as little as possible these days & buying CDs from my local record shops (Fopp & Coda here in Edinburgh) where I can, seems I'm not the only one.

23. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Amazon UK & USA gave up selling to Australia
    HMV I found very expensive in Hong Kong

24. Plectrum Electrum

Plectrum Electrum Forum Resident

Good news. My local one is still absolutely full of CDs and vinyl. In fact, when I was in recently they were offering half-price CDs if you bought the equivalent vinyl.

tin ears likes this.
  25. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

I was in the HMV flagship store in London last week and spoke with one of the staff. He told me that the HMV online store, now only shipping to the UK, was going to 'go global' soon. I hope he's right.

DaveJ and maui jim like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.