Talking Heads Stop Making Sense remaster sound quality

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jojopuppyfish, Oct 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member Thread Starter

I recently bought the remastered special edition soundtrack of Stop Making Sense and I find it to be quite loud.
    I was looking on discogs and while I like the new song list (Closer to the original concert)
    I was wondering if the Japanese cd from 2015 is a good mastering (Less loud) than the original 1990s remastered cd
    Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense: Special New Edition
    WPCR-28605
    Any info on this cd?

dartira likes this.
  2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I have that disc. It's the same mastering. But I don't consider it to be slammin-too-hot.

The new master with extended song list is the way to go. Hopefully that will get released some RSD as a box tripple.

jojopuppyfish likes this.
  3. jojopuppyfish

Would I be better off ripping the stereo track of the blu ray for best sound?

4. Nope. It's the same. I'm also not really happy with some of the EQ choices for the remaster.

You could. Is it 5.1? If so, you'll need to fold it down to stereo as well. I re-EQ'd and it helped a bit lower the volume did too but it doesn't restore the loss in dynamics unfortunately. The Blu-ray is VERY dynamic as I recall.

5. jojopuppyfish

The blue ray is better than the Laserdisc. The Laserdisc was better sound than the DVD

wayneklein likes this.
  6. I quite agree--or at least with the DVD. Never had the laserdisc (although I had laserdiscs and a player) just never got it around to buying it.

7. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

For sure, you're not going to get a better sounding mastering than the Blu-ray track. My copy has a stereo mix in addition to a surround mix.

8. You know I had forgotten about that. Maybe I should just rip it as well. Thanks.

jojopuppyfish likes this.
  9. jojopuppyfish

BTW someone just asked me.....is there a good sounding vinyl pressing of the special edition version of this concert?

10. Rgfinch

Rgfinch King Rocky

From what I recall the two sound pretty different - the blu soundtrack is more bassy I think and sounds more like a live recording than the CD which sounds like it's been cleaned up / overdubbed. The extended CD is HDCD encoded so I have both that and the blu soundtrack on my DAP.

11. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Does the HDCD use peak extension?

12. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain the Special Edition expanded version is CD only.

GEK likes this.
  13. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Another vote for ripping the Blu Ray stereo track. Having already got the shorter CD of SMS I just bought the Blu Ray when it came out and ripped it. Sounds great.

14. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Weren't there multiple stereo tracks on the Bluray or was it just multiple 5.1s?

[I don't have mine handy to check...]

15. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Multiple 5.1 mixes.

mark winstanley and jmxw like this.
  16. jojopuppyfish

17. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

18. Rgfinch

Rgfinch King Rocky

No

19. jojopuppyfish

I listened to my rip this morning in the car and the mix on the Blu Ray stereo rip is a little different than the cd....but it sounds much better

20. olinko

olinko Forum Resident

SimonSaysCake likes this.
  21. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I can almost guarantee there's only one mastering of the expanded 16-track edition. They're all very likely going to sound the same. If a Japanese one was tweaked a little, it was still based off the 1999 master.

Your only other option is the audio from the blu-ray.

I'm genuinely surprised a double-LP hasn't been issued...it seems like a no-brainer that would be a huge seller.

EasyEB, Man at C&A and olinko like this.
  22. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

I would love a double vinyl of the complete set

Man at C&A likes this.
  23. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

That live version of Naive Melody is great!

I remember buying the 45 of Slippery People to get my hands on it back in the day... :uhhuh:

Amoepe, Jack_Straw and olinko like this.
  24. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

This thread got me to check out the audio of the film (stereo mix) vs. the 16-track reissue, and I'm surprised how different the mixes are. I knew they replaced the snare with a trigger/sample on the original, but I'm surprised they kept it so prominently on the 9 original LP tracks (and concurrently surprised they left the drums mostly natural sounding for the other songs). I never really noticed when listening to the album or watching the movie, so good job to the sound engineers, but going back and forth between the two mixes of the same song is eye-opening.

I'm not sure which one I prefer. The CD/album mix seems to be a bit more three-dimensional and powerful, but feels less like a live recording. The blu-ray mix feels more live, and has much more natural drum sounds, but sounds a little weak next to the album. It does have better dynamics, but not drastically so. Luckily the '99 CD, while still a bit compressed, wasn't as bad as most CD's of the era.

scobb, mark winstanley and olinko like this.
  25. olinko

olinko Forum Resident

I don't think I'm able to listen to the Blu-Ray objectively, I keep thinking they messed with it, like the album was somehow the original untouched thing (which of course it isn't)

But then again, the first version I'd ever heard was the DVD. And to this day I still don't know which version's BPM is 'normal'. Is it just me or is the tempo different on every release?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.