The last movie you saw in the theater

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

Well that's a relief, I thought I had somehow lost my taste for good pop music.

mrjinks likes this.
  2. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

If you see that song in the context of Jackson telling her earlier about having “something to say” and that she owes her audience to tell them "the truth", it makes the contrast even more striking.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  3. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Free solo. It was definitely one I was wanting to see for a while as an amateur rock climber. Hoping to see Mid90s this week as well.

Don't go to the cinema quite as much anymore, at least for the big action movies, since my tinnitus has really flared up considerably over the last year or two and the local ones revamped their sound system to be bigger and louder. I used to go 3+ times per week.

Synthfreek likes this.
  4. Chris DeVoe

My wife saw it and was knocked out, but I just can't handle seeing someone hanging a thousand feet above jagged rocks by their fingertips unless they have a really good reason.

"Because it's there" is not a good enough reason.

Saw it last weekend. Very odd choices by the director - shot in 1.33 (4:3) in 16mm, so it looks pretty rough. They should skip releasing this on DVD or Blu-ray and go straight to VHS.

Get yourself a pair of Etymotics EtyPlugs. I keep a pair in a pill case on my keychain and never go anywhere without them.

5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Probably was "Sisters", that comedy with Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. Not my choice. It was my buddy's birthday so he picked. It was actually better than I thought it would be but it's pretty forgettable. 3 years ago.

Before that, The Departed. That was in 2006.

I don't find movies more enjoyable if presented on the big screen unless it's material that will seriously benefit from it. When the original Star Wars movies were re-released back when the Special Editions came onto the market, I went to see Empire Strikes Back (my favorite) in the theater. Nobody talked and the sound and picture were breathtaking. *That* was worth it. But a movie like The Departed does not, IMHO. Loved the movie but would have enjoyed it just as much at home.

Nowadays, there are no special effects extravaganzas that I am interested in watching so there's no point in going anymore. If I were into superhero movies, I'd probably be addicted. :D

6. Chris DeVoe

Yesterday I saw The Sisters Brothers, a Western, not a "special effects extravaganza" at all, but one that benefited from the huge screen and wide stretches of empty western wilderness.

7. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Saw Beautiful Boy. My wife chose it. I was skeptical going in (since I had not chosen it, j/k, well somewhat). I wasn't thrilled by the casting choice of Steve Carell as the father. The subject matter, drug addiction, has not usually been handled well in past films.

When I first saw it, Carell was good enough but in the first half I was confused by the editing of some of the flashbacks. And some of the scenes of the son being high were troubling since they seemed somewhat attractive.

But Chalamet was very good as were Maura Tierney as the step mom and Amy Ryan as the mom, plus the kid who played the son in the middle period was very good. Still I was not that high on it, heh, when I left the theater.

But thinking back, the editing flashback treatment made perfect sense, and I think the direction Carell got was very good. Still have some concerns about how well the subject matter itself was handled, but on the whole it was good.

So I end up giving it an 8/10, which is pretty good.

8. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Other Side Of The Wind (ugh!), free, at the LA County Art Museum. Last paid for, I think, was Dunkirk in 70mm on first release.

9. Chris DeVoe

Carell has been doing some amazing work in recent years, and I can hardly wait for Welcome To Marwen. I don't know if he just has great taste in scripts, or has a wonderful advisor, but I haven't seen him being bad in anything.

Edit to add: Checking his IMDb he has done some really bad stuff, like Dinner for Schmucks. I really enjoyed Seeking a Friend for the End of the World, Foxcatcher and The Big Short.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  10. Chris DeVoe

Sorry to hear that. I saw the trailer at Chicago's Music Box theater, and it looked like something assembled from a bunch of different films, and thought "if that's the best trailer they can make, this has got to be a complete mess." The odds of it being an "Undiscovered Masterpiece" were not good.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    TeacFan likes this.
  11. Chris DeVoe

Just talked to my wife about our plans for movie tonight. Looks like we're going to go see The Nightmare Before Christmas in the theater. It's become a cultural touchstone for a whole generation of kids, it will be pretty cool being the only people there who saw it when it first came out.

12. shiwo

shiwo Well-Known Member

A Star is Born

13. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Yeah, I know you're a huge fan of going to the theater. The potential is there but since the at-home viewing experience has progressed by leaps and bounds in the last 15 years or so, movie-watching in a theater isn't as alluring as it once was.

If I had a choice between watching a movie on a 24" CRT TV on a DVD and going to theater, I'd pick the latter, of course. :D

14. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I can top that. Breach, 2007. I enjoy the home theater experience.

eric777 likes this.
  15. Chris DeVoe

Can we please, please, please not debate seeing films at home on the television set in this thread? Please?

Unless you measure your television screen in feet rather than inches, it's not even slightly comparable.

16. Hardy Melville

to be clear my concern over casting Carell was whether he would be employing what he seemed at risk of being typecast in from those very films, myself liking him very much in Friend and Short. Those films were beginning to suggest to me that unlike his comedies he was approaching his "serious" roles in a too similar way.

I am still not sure he was a good casting choice for Beautiful Boy, but I think the direction helped him look too much like the same character he was in those films.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  17. Hardy Melville

I am not an avid movie theater attendee, but I guess we see one about every other month. It's fun to get a big serving of popcorn and see the film on this big screen with great sound. It's an outing, which is fun, too.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  18. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

"Hotel Transylvania 3" with my daughter.

If it wasn't for her or my Star Wars friend I wouldn't go to the theater at all. No interest in public the experience.

19. Horse Majeure

Horse Majeure Forum Resident

The Death of Stalin,five months ago.

20. Hardy Melville

I meant above regarding Steve Carell that the direction helped him look NOT too much like the characters he has played in earlier more serious roles.

21. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

22. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I know what you mean. I'm 66 years old so I remember going to the movies pre-cellphone days.

eric777 likes this.
  23. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I deleted my posts.

24. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

More than ten years ago. It was Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix. Never went to cinemas since then.

25. Chris DeVoe

Thanks.