The last movie you saw in the theater

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

You've missed some really awesome experiences. Over the summer, AMC showed the entire Harry Potter series, two films every Sunday for $5.

I've seen all the films at home on my 10' projector, and it still is not the same.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! (1988). :)

Matt Richardson and milankey like this.
  3. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Actually I never was interested in the Harry Potter series.
    Back then a friend just invited me to watch few of those films with him. Generally I'm not much of a cinema goer.

4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

There's no debate. The thread asks the last movie I saw in the theater and that's what I described. Since it was many years ago, I then explained that since I'm not restricted to small old TV at home nowadays, that it is the reason I don't go to the theater as often as I normally would otherwise.

Whether an experience is comparable or not is up for the individual to decide. I wasn't comparing, merely stating if I went back in time where my two choices would be the theater or crappy old small fuzzy TVs that I would pick the former.

:chill:

5. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Thanks for starting this thread!

The last film I saw in a theater was The Old Man and the Gun, which I talked about in the Robert Redford Is Retiring thread. (I liked it, but wanted more of Redford and Gang, and Redford and Spacek, and far less of Casey Affleck).

I am hoping to see The Hate U Give this weekend, but if that doesn’t work out timewise, I will probably see Bohemian Rhapsody.

Al Smith and Chris DeVoe like this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

That's a false dichotomy. I've built a few really amazing home theaters, and not a one of them truly compares to even an average movie theater. My home theater is no longer state of the art, but is still very decent - and we'll choose a movie theater every time.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. Chris DeVoe

You're welcome! I noticed that all of us theater-going types were huddled together in the MoviePass death watch thread, and figured we needed our own place.

Fair point, but going into a charisma-off with Robert Freaking Redford is a mug's game.

I want to see that, but please don't skip The Hate U Give. It truly is an amazing piece of work.

brownie61 likes this.
  8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Yes, "WE". Not ME and not many people in this thread. If it were the only way to see things in HD in bigger sizes than 20", I'd line up. Since there are alternatives I'm OK with and aren't a compromise to me, I opt to avoid the theater.

All bets are off if the old Star Wars are re-released in theaters yet again, though. ;)

9. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Hunter Killer last Saturday afternoon. It was a decent adventure movie with some drama. I have never been to the ocean, any ocean, and the deep water scenes were impressive enough to stave off any curiosity about that- for now:).

The Hud and Chris DeVoe like this.
  10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Rocky Balboa

or Jurassic Park

I forgot which one was first.

11. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Actually have a pair of those but about half the time we take the other car and so I don't have my keys on me. We'll end up seeing a movie spur of the moment and I don't think about the earplugs until the movie starts getting loud.

As for movies next week, The Front Runner looks interesting. I was a young child during the time period of the movie and so I'm unfamiliar with the scandal.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  12. Chris DeVoe

Go ahead and make me feel old.

mrjinks likes this.
  13. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

14. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

The last movie you saw in the theater?

Had to be this spring or summer - but I do not even remember. How pathetic is that!

15. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

Hereditary maybe? I used to go to movies all the time with my wife when we were just looking for an excuse to leave the house/something to do. Not as much free time now (3 kids) and we are less willing to spend it on movies.

16. California Couple

For now I am going with this one - October 2017:

[​IMG]

sorry about the giant photo - but I do not know how to make them smaller

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  17. California Couple

Found it. Only took me 30 minutes!

January 2018

[​IMG]

The Hud likes this.
  18. Chris DeVoe

The best part of the film was the credit sequence with footage of the real Tanya competing, and all these people who had been in the theater snarking were forced to realize what had been lost due to her idiot husband and his even bigger idiot friend.

The Hud likes this.
  19. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

Today - a screening of the 1950 Jean Cocteau film 'Orphee'

Most Recent new films - 'Under the Wire' - documentary about the final assignment of the war correspondent Marie Colvin and her photographer

'Columbus'

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  20. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Halloween

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  21. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Bohemian Rhapsody, got back a little while ago!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. Chris DeVoe

Was it enjoyable?

23. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

We saw The Hate U Give tonight. Other than being an excellent, emotional, empathetic look at all the sides of the people's viewpoints throughout the cast, I couldn't help wondering how such an adorable lead character from an ABC After-School Special, parachuted into a Spike-Lee-joint-lite movie. But it held our attention...and, our tension.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

And did Malik's prosthetic teeth get a supporting role credit?

Matt Richardson likes this.
  25. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

"Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again" - The movie was awesome! The theatre experience was not.
    1-Run by young people more involved with their phones.
    2-We waited over 20 minutes after the "Silence your Cellphone" message was played but the movie never started.
    3-When my sister went to see what the problem was, there was only one person at the concession stand. She had to go find the person to start the movie.
    4-When the movie played, the center speaker was loud but all the other speakers were very low.
    5-When I emailed the Regal company & told them what happened, All they responded with was a "Regal strives for excellence,we are looking into the situation & implementing new guidelines, thank you for contacting us" kind of response.