Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

What is amazing is that yesterday I went to a NYC shop and came across a very rare record by the singer that I mention above, priced fairly high. I shared a few stories about the singer with the dealer. At the end of the stories, he told me that I could have the record for free. Who says New Yorkers are not cool?

2. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Thank you for the interesting story.

3. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

I envy you. One of my top Miles albums, and I like ALL his output. :)

JeffMo and ohnothimagen like this.
  4. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Found a used CD copy of this great album for a buck this week. Surprise bonus: Joe Pass on guitar!

bluemooze, Soulpope and frightwigwam like this.
  5. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

¡Whoop whoop!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  6. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

One of my favorite Billy Harper records is "the believer". It's about the journey from doubt to acceptance. The sound of the tracks so vivedly reflect the program.
    1 is it not true, simply because you can't believe it?
    2 I do believe
    3 believe for it is true!

bluemooze, jazz_case, xybert and 3 others like this.
  7. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

In my earlier reply, I was just kind of riffing on the general theme. Paying more attention to the playlist you already proposed, I see now that most of my previous recommendations probably don't fit the style you've established. Finding other tracks in that mood/style is not so easy for me, but I'm going to take another crack at it.

Maybe: J. J. Johnson - "Lament"? (YouTube: )
    Maybe: Ernie Watts Quartet - "My One and Only Love"? (YouTube: My One and Only Love (Ernie Watts Quartet) )

I thought also of Chuck Findley's flugelhorn improvisation on the New American Orchestra's re-imagining of Vangelis's music from Blade Runner. That nails the sad mood, but probably doesn't have quite enough "jazz" feel to comfortably fit with the rest of your playlist (here it is anyway, in case you want to make the call: Blade Runner Blues )

This is hard!

8. hamishd91

hamishd91 Forum Resident

Thank you for your efforts anyway! I’m trying to be very strict - if it doesn’t immediately fit, it doesn’t make the playlist. Pork pie Hat is the King so far. .. then again Mingus is the King no matter what.

Ray Cole likes this.
  9. PlateMail

PlateMail Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Started the morning with this album. Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin' (Music Matters 33). Drinking the first cup of coffee for the day looking at that cover, while listening to the album, is a great way to start the day.

10. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Damn good album, eh?:D
    If you were to put a gun to my head, when it comes to Miles' pre-electric music, I'd reckon Miles Smiles is by far my favourite album of his. Side two in particular:righton:

soundfanz, JeffMo and SJR like this.
  11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

The only drag about this cd (the American single cd) is that it omits the introductions and talks by Carmen that are awesome. The 2 LP and the Japanese 2 cd set include them. I love Jimmy Rowles on these recordings.

Tribute likes this.
  12. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I saw many US vinyl copies of this, but never seen one with AT/GP stamp on side 2.

13. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

I discovered Billy Harper many years ago as soloist in the reeds section of Gil Evans Orchestra (There Comes A Time) and I was quite impressed by his playing basically hard bop but influenced by free improvisation.
    I liked much his work on the last album by Lee Morgan where some his compositions were played by that fantastic septet.

Now, I'm interested to his live recordings in Japan for Steeplechase. Do you know something about it? I have seen that the three released albums are still in print.

Mugrug12 likes this.
  14. Lonson

Charlie Parker "The Savoy Recordings Vol. 4" Japan CD

[​IMG]

15. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    This was waiting for me when I returned home from a business trip...a great first listen this morning. Crosby's late period renaissance is inspirational; his last 4 albums have been stellar.

bluemooze likes this.
  16. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

[​IMG]

I've been wearing these CDs out since I picked them up last week. Little Feat is a new discovery for me. It's like early Funkadelic & Skynard had a love child and I swear there's electric Miles influence on Time Loves A Hero.

17. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

How about Ella Fitzgerald's 1959 version of Frank Loesser's "Spring Will Be a Little Late This Year"? Sarah Vaughan's mid '50s version ain't bad either

18. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

19. Lonson

Little Feat with Lowell George were a great band. My favorite is "The Last Album" but they're all worth a listen.

Jackie P and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  20. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

I once set up a hand held recorder next to an open window during a thunder storm and recorded it while Peace Piece played in the background... They fit together perfectly. The rain, the birds... Even the sound of passing cars, tires hissing against the roadway.

It was also the first Bill Evans tune I ever learned to play.

This was the last Bill Evans tune I ever learned to play. Then I switched to electric bass and haven't touched my piano since... Maybe for good reason, lol. This vid is so old, it seems to have gotten a little out of sync... oh well.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  21. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Superb band as Lon said. One of my favorites of the 70s. Tough for me to pick a favorite but Sailing Shoes, Feats Don't Fail Me Now and The Last Record Album are up there in my book. Lowell George was very special and the rest of the band knew how to take care of business.

NP Paul Desmond - Take Ten (RCA)

Bobby Buckshot and Jackie P like this.
  22. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Rodrigo Amado: A History of Nothing

Amado on tenor with:

Joe McPhee: pocket trumpet & soprano saxophone
    Kent Kessler: double bass
    Chris Corsano: drums

On Trost Records - wonderful but a notch below the earlier This is Our Language on Not Two Records

In any event this is a stunning jazz group who plays freely improvised music in a manner somehow different than other seemingly similar ensembles. Mr. Amado is a very special talent.

23. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

I highly recommend going to the Internet Archive and looking up Little Feat Ultrasonic Studios 1974-09-19, and Portland 1978-06-11 (and pick up 6-10 Seattle while you're at it). The '74 set, recorded for radio broadcast, is their most famous boot, and probably their best recording. Pat Lee's tape from Portland is a great AUD on a night when the band is really feeding off the audience, who were really into the Feat even though I think they were opening for Warren Zevon on that tour. I like the Portland and Seattle recordings even more than the official live album from that year. IMO, Little Feat is one of those bands that are best heard on stage, and those are my favorites--although you have plenty of other choices on the Archive. Btw, Lowell George's son Forrest apparently has commented on several shows there (he's a Dead fan, too) and gives the Archive his endorsement.

Bobby Buckshot, jazz_case and jay.dee like this.
  24. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

25. I just got this on XRCD from Elusive Disc's 19.99 sale. These XRCDs really sound amazing. I liked it so much, I went back and ordered Jackie McLean, Bluesnik, in transit to me now.