Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Nicely spotted, I reckon so.

artfromtex and RSteven like this.
  2. mark winstanley

3. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

What a great picture. Imagine meeting "ELVIS".
    Yep. :righton:

mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  4. mark winstanley

that's about as cool as it gets

5. artfromtex

I cannot imagine being in the crowd in 1972 and seeing him walk onto the stage. It would be like looking at a UFO or something.

6. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

It is quite a thing to imagine here. You go from poverty and obscurity to being the biggest and most controversial entertainer on the planet. Just as you are starting to wrap your head around that, you are yanked out of the successful career that is still growing and you are drafted as a private in the Army. You lose your beloved mother while in the Army and are unsure if you'll ever have the success that you enjoyed just months ago. Then as soon as you start to wrap your head around that, you are discharged from the Army and toil at a breakneck pace to rebuild your career. After several months of a massive effort, you are back on top and enjoying great success again. You're enjoying your birthday party and you are trying to wrap your head around all that has happened to you and you are just turning 26. Wow!

Dave Hoos, Brian Mc, Shawn and 5 others like this.
  7. mark winstanley

definitely

Dave112 likes this.
  8. mark winstanley

Surrender
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Written By :
    Doc Pomus & Mort Shuman

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, October 30-31, 1960: October 30, 1960. take 4 and work part take 8

"Surrender" is a #1 song recorded by Elvis Presley and published by Elvis Presley Music in 1961. It is an adaptation by Doc Pomus and Mort Shuman of the music of a 1902 Neapolitan ballad by Giambattista and Ernesto de Curtis entitled "Torna a Surriento" ("Come Back to Sorrento"). It hit number one in the US and UK in 1961 and eventually became one of the best selling singles of all time. This was one of 25 songs Doc Pomus and Mort Shuman wrote for Presley.[1][2] It has been recorded by many other artists.

----------------------------------------------
    This is a magnificent song of its style. It seems after the army years Elvis got a lot of influence from music south of the border. I am not sure of the styles, but I am thinking Samba's, Bossa Nova's, Rhumba's whatever each actually is, seemed to get his attention. That is understandable given the, I assume, exotic rhythms for the time.
    This track starts out somewhat like the James Bond Theme .... hmmm, there's an idea, Elvis could have been a good Bond .... and the vocal has a minor chord slant. This song has a magnificent melody. Again we have an incredible crescendo vocal to wind it all up. Quite a short song, but there is an awful lot going on in it.

9. mark winstanley

Lonely Man
    Written By :
    Bennie Benjamin & Sol Marcus

Recorded :

Radio Recorders, Hollywood, November 7-8, 1960: November 7, 1960. take 13

"Lonely Man" is a song first recorded by Elvis Presley as part of the soundtrack for his 1961 motion picture Wild in the Country, but eventually dropped from the movie.

The movie was originally titled "Lonely Man", and an excerpt of Elvis singing the song could be seen in its original trailer,[1] but the song was cut before release and the movie's title changed.[2]

In 1961 "Lonely Man" was released as the flip side to the single "Surrender". In the United States, "Lonely Man" peaked at number 32 on the Billboard Hot 100, while "Surrender" reached number 1.[3] Both were certified Platinum by the RIAA,[4]and also separately entered the top 3 in Hong Kong.[5]

Later the song "Lonely Man" was included on Presley's 1968 greatest hits album Elvis' Gold Records Volume 4.
    -----------------------------------------------

This is another one of those Elvis songs with an incredibly delicate vocal.It gives you the impression he is almost whispering. This track has a slight country slant, and given that the movie was Wild In The Country, I guess that makes sense.

Brian Mc likes this.
  10. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

11. mark winstanley

That's great. Thank you sir!

12. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Forum Resident

It's funny you say that because when I first heard the song, my first thought was this would've been a pretty good Bond song....well, until I saw it was recorded before they even started filming the series. But I definitely got that vibe from it.

13. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Yes indeed, the intro to Surrender really does have a great James Bond feel to it, but it is also one of Elvis's most dynamic and difficult vocals that he ever attempted in a recording studio session. I believe some experts have said that the melody was even slightly more challenging than his stupendous version of It's Now Or Never that also had some operatic like notes.

I believe that Bill Porter, being the very honest and classy guy that he always was, took some of the blame for the slight distortion that you can hear on this great track as Elvis's powerful and dynamic vocal made the meters go wild, and if I am remembering correctly, it was during this song that Bill kept having to run to the bathroom with the terrible stomach flu that he had been fighting. No doubt the poor guy should have been home, but being the good soldier that he was, he was not going to miss an important Elvis recording session.

Dave Hoos, GillyT and mark winstanley like this.
  14. mark winstanley

Sorry, I forgot to put in there that this was released February 7 1961

15. mark winstanley

This series of photos is from February 25th 1961.
    The first one here is the Claridge Hotel press conference at 1:45 pm
    [​IMG]

16. mark winstanley

these two again at the Claridge receiving a couple of awards
    [​IMG]

RSteven likes this.
  17. mark winstanley

18. mark winstanley

And these two at a charity show at the Ellis Auditorium
    [​IMG]

RSteven likes this.
  19. mark winstanley

here comedian George Jessel having a bit of fun.
    [​IMG]

artfromtex likes this.
  20. artfromtex

75 million records sold!

Brian Mc, mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  21. mark winstanley

ELVIS BY REQUEST - FLAMING STAR (EP)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

(US) RCA LPC-128
    Released: April 21, 1961
    Elvis by Request: Flaming Star and 3 Other Great Songs is an EP by American singer Elvis Presley, containing two songs from the motion picture Flaming Star[1] ("Flaming Star" and "Summer Kisses Winter Tears", the latter cut from the final print)[2] and two of his earlier hits on the reverse side.

Recording sessions took place on August 8 and October 7, 1960, at Radio Recorders in Hollywood. Initially, four songs were composed for the movie, but "Britches" and "Summer Kisses Winter Tears" were dropped.[3] The soundtrack music in the film consists of only two songs, "Flaming Star" and "A Cane and a High Starched Collar." An early version of "Flaming Star," using the film's working title "Black Star," was recorded by Presley and later released in the 1990s. The significantly darker lyrics of the "Black Star" version were seen by some commentators as part of the reference of David Bowie's Blackstar.[4] It should also be noted that both Presley and Bowie share the same birthday (January 8).

Two months after the film's premiere, RCA released the extended play single Elvis By Request – Flaming Star, catalogue LPC 128, which peaked at #14 on the Billboard Hot 100.[3] It contained the title track and one of the rejected songs, "Summer Kisses, Winter Tears," along with two of Presley's chart-topping 1960 singles, "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" and "It's Now or Never." "Summer Kisses" would appear on the anniversary compilation album Elvis for Everyone five years later, and "A Cane And A High Starched Collar" would be released on Elvis: A Legendary Performer Volume 2. Finally, "Britches" saw release on Elvis: A Legendary Performer Volume 3 in 1979.

The song "Flaming Star" would be the title track of Elvis Sings Flaming Star, available at first only through select retail stores featuring products by the Singer sewing machine company as a promotional tie-in with Presley's 1968 Christmas television special, which Singer had sponsored. This album would begin the series of Presley budget releases on the RCA Camden subsidiary label.

Elvis by Request is the only Presley EP to play at 33⅓ rpm. All of his other EPs were 45 rpm.[5]

Side 1
    Flaming Star **
    Summer Kisses, Winter Tears *

Side 2
    Are You Lonesome Tonight
    It's Now Or Never

-------------------------------------------------
    This is one of those discs that I am less familiar with. Obviously I am familiar with the two singles on the b-side, but I don't think I have ever seen the movie that the other two tracks were recorded for.

22. mark winstanley

Flaming Star -
    Written By :
    Sherman Edwards & Sid Wayne

Recorded :
    Radio Recorders, Hollywood, August 8-9, October 7, 1960: October 7, 1960. take 6

This track bounces along nicely and certainly sounds like a sixties cowboy movie song. It has a hint of country music about it. It is a pretty good song, but it seems to say Flaming Star an awful lot.

23. mark winstanley

Summer Kisses Winter Tears
    Written By :
    Jack Lloyd, Ben Weisman & Fred Wise

Recorded :

Radio Recorders, Hollywood, August 8-9, October 7, 1960: August 8, 1960. take 20

This track also has a mild country music sound. This is a better song in my mind to Flaming star as it is a little less repetitive and seems a little more focussed.

RSteven likes this.
  24. Revelator

Revelator Disputatious cartoon animal.

God I wish that had been recorded!

Flaming Star is usually regarded as one of the best Elvis films, one of the few where Elvis shows what a good actor he could have been. I'm less sure about all that. Flaming Star is a good little Western but a rather obvious one. And Elvis, though not bad in a non-musical role, isn't very good either. He was never self-conscious in front of the microphone, but in front of the camera was a different story. He never seemed to open himself up to it, the way a natural singer-actor like Sinatra did.

mark winstanley likes this.
  25. HE1NZ

HE1NZ Forum Resident

I'm always getting Japanese vibes from this. Title also seems Asia inspired. Anyone else have that?

RSteven, mark winstanley and Dave112 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.