What is the oddest way you have acquired a record?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pc-Ray, Nov 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

I seem to recall winning planet of the Apes record on some sort of game at the Fall Festival. I believe it was some kind of fishing game where you "caught" a mystery bag.

It was the early 90s and I was very young. I didn't know what a record was, nor did I know what Planet of the Apes was....

2. Chance

Chance Forum Resident

A friend lent me the Springsteen boot Born In The Studio, and then died shortly thereafter. :cry:

3. Odieman

Odieman Forum Resident

I won Blondie's Parallel Lines and Dire Straits Communique at a local fair by popping balloons with darts.

4. Efus

Efus Senior Member

I traded my 8 year old son for a limited edition copy of Cracked Rear View by Hootie and the Blowfish.

5. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident

A very rubenesque lady had a couple crates of some great albums that looked like they were played once to be taped and stored & she wanted some attention in return for the records. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

6. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Way, way back when they were all over D.C., a Moonie gave me some albums, presumably possessions forfeited by other acolytes, in an effort to lure me and other young people into accepting his literature and sales pitch. I owned, briefly, some Rush albums and some other prog-ish records with exotic covers, but when my father caught wind of what was happening, he immediately threw the records and Moonie literature into the nearest trash receptacle!

7. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

I was walking down E. 6th St. in the East Village, NYC and a woman was screaming from a 5th floor apartment window, "don't you ever come back you son of a bitch", as this guy was riding his bicycle (with a yellow banana seat) away giving her the finger. She was throwing out of the window what must have been his belongings. Mostly clothes... I picked up an Otis Clay record; slipped it out of the sleeve, saw it was in excellent condition, yelled thank you in her direction and went on my way. Just another day in NYC. La De Da La De Da.

8. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

joy stinson likes this.
  9. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

10. Michael Chavez

Michael Chavez Forum Resident

What was in the crates?

Cachiva likes this.
  11. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident

Mint copies of original rap like RUN DMC,LL Cool J rock like Dark Side Of The Moon,The Wall,The Police,The Pretenders,lots of R&B.

hi_watt, lightbulb and jeffd7030 like this.
  12. John54

John54 Senior Member

In an insurance company boardroom. The 45 was Prisoners by Brookfield, which had been on the CFNY talent search contest in 1982 a few months earlier. The company v-p of personnel, who was a big music fan like me, knew the person who did vocal arranging for the band. He brought in a copy of the 45; I gave him a few bucks for it. I'm not certain whether it was ever in stores, but last time I looked there were copies on eBay. A very pretty song if anyone wants to indulge ...

hi_watt and InStepWithTheStars like this.
  13. 9 Volt

9 Volt That cat's something I can't explain

I was an outfielder on my high school's baseball team. One day a rival team's fans showed up with a bunch of 45rpm singles which they threw like frisbees at our team during the game. I got hit with Silver Convention's "Fly Robin Fly". It seemed like an appropriate choice to throw at an outfielder so I took it home. Played perfectly. I've still got it somewhere. Catchy little piece of crap.

14. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

there was a mysterious box that appeared behind my apartment building about 15 years ago filled with weird stuff; can't remember all of it now, but there was an ipod in there (which worked), some old comics in bad shape, and a mint copies of the Wall; and In the Wee Small Hours; and decent copies of Emotional Rescue, Diamond Dogs, Ziggy Stardust, and David Live. I still have all of these. It was a great find! I think maybe it was stuff someone left behind in one of the apartments managed by my property management company and they just stuck it there. No one ever came back for any of it; the box sat there for at least another year with the rest of the junk in it until I moved.

15. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

I once had sex to get a record I really wanted

Aftermath, Cachiva, jeffd7030 and 2 others like this.
  16. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

1. My first stereo came with a free LP. Victor Lundberg “An Open Letter”. Highly recommended.
    2. A Long Island AM station ran a promotion promising a free copy of Barclay James Harvest “Time Honoured Ghosts” If one could name all of the Beatles songs in their minor hit, “Titles.” I won that. Hated the record.

Cachiva and MisterNines like this.
  17. marka

marka Forum Resident

Around 1969, I bought a copy of the Isley Brothers “It”s Your Thing” from a vending machine! It was a thin black flexible piece of plastic. I still have it.

I also had a few records that I cut out of cereal boxes, as shown earlier in the thread, and a few from magazines that were like the Isley Bros single.

18. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

In 1980 I was a youngish, very poor composer living in Park Slope, Brooklyn. One day I decided to take some mushrooms. I’d never tried it before. It came on as I was walking down the street where I came upon a guy on a street corner selling his massive collection of avant garde music for a dollar a record! I couldn’t believe it! I kept telling him I was a composer myself and really into this music but he showed no interest whatsoever in being engaged. To make things worse, I wanted every one of his records but only had a dollar to my name! This triggered a bad trip which lasted till I came down. But I did buy one record which I still own. Music by George Antheil in mint condition. I wonder who that guy was and what he was doing with those records. Bizarre.

hi_watt, Aftermath, elvotix and 3 others like this.
  19. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

A double loser.

hi_watt likes this.
  20. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

That’s it? We want details!

Cachiva and mestreech like this.
  21. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

No sexdetails but what the hell was that album??

hi_watt, Cachiva and GentleSenator like this.
  22. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

I peeled a cardboard Jackson 5 record off a wooden shelf at a record shop.... I don't even think THEY knew it was there. XD I spotted it, carefully lifted it off, and took it to the counter!

23. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

As an eighth grader in Dallas, Tx in 1970, my father who always wanted to raise a star athlete told me - "If you play a good basketball game today I will buy you an album". I wasn't in the game long but I played my heart out - did not score and fouled. I knew I was never going to see the record store; but on the way home, we drove to the corner record store to pick out a cassette. I walked in knowing I had one chance to change my life. I stared at the racks of cassettes for what seemed like an eternity. In desperation for divine guidance, I looked up at my dad and asked - "What should I get?" It took him about ten seconds to see the Badfinger No Dice cover and he said - "That one".

[​IMG]

It changed my life.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  24. MisterNines

MisterNines American

Wow, that is truly bad. ["All you need is love to suck seed (? seat ?)"]

In '73, I scored (much) better [different sport] - as "tenth" (or so) caller/correctly answered: "Who did Ringo replace in the Beatles?".

...won the Red album and the Blue album (plus a crappy poster)!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    Cachiva likes this.
  25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Caught one in my hands.

Part-timing at the radio station, joined the morning guy in a club, where he threw out a short stack of them to the audience, before bringing the band on. It was still albums at that time, and the morning guy was clever, but had never realized how dangerous that could be, slinging 12" records around like frisbees. Some flew out of their jackets, others hit girlfriend's faces, most didn't make it out the door when the crowd left. Not his most inspired promotional appearance.

I snatched one out of the air before it hit the guys standing behind me, and I just held onto it...young deejays don't like wasting music, even if the world thinks it's got no intrinsic value if it doesn't have a major star on the cover. I'm pretty sure the best thing I did with that album that evening, was to keep it from hitting someone.

Aftermath, MisterNines and Zeki like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.