Frank Zappa Song By Song Thread (1966-96)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Aug 21, 2018.

1. mcchocchoc

mcchocchoc Forum Resident

There is an FZ quote from an interview from 1979 in The Big Note about the recording of the album . . .

"It was f'in' murder to make that record. There's only two songs that were easy to do - 'No. No. No.' and 'Cheap Thrills'.
    I wrote them, recorded all the instruments and vocals, and mixed both of those songs on a Sunday afternoon. It took about seven hours and I did both songs from top to bottom."

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  2. mcchocchoc

An earlier original version of Deseri was included on the 1982 Grandmothers album, Looking Up Granny's Dress and also the Paul Buff Pal Studios collection cd from 2012. Great version too!

[​IMG]

kendo and Zoot Marimba like this.
  3. mcchocchoc

Here's a cool interview track from Greasy Love Songs. Joe Travers edit from two 1969 interviews. FZ riffing on CWRATJ. Great stuff.

Deseri cracked the top 40! lol.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  4. mcchocchoc

This is of those FZ albums that even pretty serious fans may not like. Who cares(!), there are so many FZ releases that the chances of liking them all may be slim. I am one of those freaks who pretty much loves (or in a few cases, just likes) all of them.

That said, this is one (of many) of my favorites . . . the original mix of course. Such fun and beautiful music on this album. In addition, I could listen to Ray sing the contents of a phone book and love every second of it.

Anyhow, for those of you guys (and gals?) posting in here . . . how many copies of this recording do you own?
    Do you listen to the album very much? (I'd say between my wife and I that this album gets played anywhere from
    one to three times a month on average . . . for more years than I'd care to count).

I currently have 5 copies. One extra copy of the original LP is buried in a box in a closet here, but I just pulled out the others and took a pic . . . . An original Verve LP, an LP from The Old Masters Box, a 2012 CD and Greasy Love Songs. (I gave away 2 old Ryko versions after the 2012 reissue).

[​IMG]

and, why not . . . FZ and Ray, front and center 1967.
    [​IMG]

5. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I've just ordered the 2016 reissue of this as it's the only one I don't have — just checking, it is the original mix isn't it?!

Anyway, love this album (had the remix on CD some years back) — it's such a fun and easy listen, which isn't always the case with Frank (in my wife's opinion)!

Zoot Marimba and mcchocchoc like this.
  6. mcchocchoc

Yup, the recent vinyl edition is the 1968 mix. I've been buying some of the recent lp reissues here and there. I'll probably buy one soon, even though I think the original LP sounds fine, fine, super fine.

SJR and Zoot Marimba like this.
  7. mcchocchoc

8. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Pachuco Frank.
    I used to have a copy of that ad in my bedroom some 15 years ago.

9. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

How could I be such a fool? Is amazing on this album. I only know the 2012 cd which I think is the 68 mix right ? Going to buy greasy love songs. Seriously though the bass line or riff or whatever it is going on and that sinister vibe. I crank it a lot.

10. mcchocchoc

Perhaps in a smelly little secret black light bedroom
    on Long Island? heh heh heh.

metallicramen and mBen989 like this.
  11. mcchocchoc

The 2012 cd is the 1987 digital master (remix, 80s drum/bass).
    Original mix is available as 'Greasy Love Songs'.

Opeth likes this.
  12. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

So the new vinyl is the 68 mix is that stereo ? Greasy love songs is Mono right ? Are they different ?

13. mcchocchoc

Greasy Love Songs and the new vinyl are both the same mix, original 1968 vinyl stereo mix. Greasy Love Songs also has some great bonus tracks, including an alternate and mono mix of Jelly Roll Gum Drop, the single mono version of Jelly Roll Gum Drop, a mono mix of Valerie and mono/original version of Love Of My Life, among some other great pieces (in stereo).

Opeth likes this.
  14. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

Let’s remember the Indian Of The Group, Who passed away ten years ago.
    [​IMG]

15. mcchocchoc

Jimmy was pretty cool. I got to see him live a few times.
    One night on the Grandmothers 2001 U.S. tour (I think that was the year), I hung out with him and Bunk at the bar after their show. Had some beers and presented Jimmy with some tapes from when he played with Beefheart on his '75 tour. Jimmy was super stoked about those tapes and went on and on about that tour and Beefheart. That was a really fun night. The band were killin' it. There were only about 35/40 people there and it was more like a small party than a show.

16. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Thanks for sorting that out for me ! Zappa is a universe. Hard to keep track.

17. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I have it on 8 track cartridge.

mcchocchoc and Zoot Marimba like this.
  18. mcchocchoc

Bump. (and a short interview clip from 1969, CBC Archives).

Fastnbulbous, Zoot Marimba and Opeth like this.
  19. Zoot Marimba

Jelly Roll Gum Drop:

After I’m Not Satisfied (synopsis: It’s okay, but one of the weaker tracks on here), we get some Jelly Roll Gum Drop.
    A fifties style rock and roll tune in the vein of At The Hop, it features a strong driving beat along with some nice stylistically simple guitar work from Frank and an energetic vocal by Ray.
    One of my favorite songs on the album and a fantastic uptempo number.

20. mcchocchoc

Jelly Roll Gum Drop. FANTASTIC tune! I love everything about this track. Everything about it is super fun. The music, the vocals and Art's timpani playing. Here's an alternate mono mix.

Zoot Marimba and marmalade166 like this.
  21. mcchocchoc

22. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

What a song. If push comes to shove it may well be my favourite Zappa song ever. Wish the '88 band had ahad a go in one of their DooWop outings.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  23. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Even in the afterlife, I bet he's asking Frank when gets paid and also the whereabouts of his waitress.

24. Zoot Marimba

And where the beer is?:laugh:

25. mcchocchoc

They did do some on that tour... without checking I remember seeing/hearing Love Of My Life at several shows. Also remember The Closer You Are a few times, at one of the Tower shows they did it a cappella. At least a few others were also performed.

MungoMusic and Zoot Marimba like this.