Moody Blues In search of the lost chord 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by t-man 54, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

3 discs on Spotify right now for your listening enjoyment......... Original, New & BBC Live plus Alternates.

2. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

No hi-res version on hdtracks or qobuz?

3. 4_everyman

4_everyman The Sexual Intellectual

I was just on the CD Universe site and there are several reviews stating that there is no 5.1 mix in this package. A lot of really disappointed folks out there. Can anyone here confirm that? I'm buying this package mainly to get the 5.1 mix.

Here's a link to the review on CD Universe dot com: CD Universe Customer Product Reviews

4. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

Those reviews are for the SACD from 2006. The 50th includes a 5.1 mix on DVD.

factory44, adriatikfan and 4_everyman like this.
  5. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Usually in a limited edition box set it goes in the opposite direction.

mark winstanley likes this.
  6. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I saw two copies at Newbury Comics in Saugus today ($10 off normal list) when picking up Dylan's latest Bootleg Series release. I was tempted, but stuck to my plan. The Saugus store doesn't typically stock as much as some of their other stores in the area (Burlington and Peabody), so there should be a few of these around for a little while. I don't know how long the sale price will last; typically not long.

Pete Puma likes this.
  7. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Oh, there's a 5.1 mix but how good is it? Welllll......

8. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Anybody? Bueller.....

9. 4_everyman

4_everyman The Sexual Intellectual

:doh: D'oh!

Well, that's good news, indeed. Thank you for setting me straight, brother. :righton:

Fred68 likes this.
  10. texquad

texquad Senior Member

I listened to the 5.1 & the stereo remix. Originally I wanted to listen mainly to the rear speakers on the 5.1 but I decided against it for a first listen. I did enjoy the ride but nothing blew me away. Next time I'm going to concentrate on those rears. I first listened to the stereo remix in the car and could tell it was a little different from what I was use to. Later I A-B tracks from the DVD and heard the difference between the two. I also watched most of the TV DVD which was very nice. I'm looking forward to spending more time with this set. I'm glad I took the plunge even though I already had the rarities on Disc 3 from the SACD.

FVDnz likes this.
  11. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Had this in my hand tonight. Looks great, but (as I don't have surround currently) there wasn't enough new to entice me. Pretty much the same audio extras as the previous deluxe. The video is definitely a plus, if you prefer hard media to YouTube.

Cool that they included "A Simple Game" ~ one of my favorites ~ in 5.1 : ) It's the Hayward vocal version, though...which also gets a new stereo remix. One wonders if the Pinder vocal track is unavailable or unusable?

12. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

That would be my guess. The Lost Chord multitracks were lost for decades, so that even any version of "Simple Game" was available for remixing is something of a minor miracle. I had no idea Hayward ever attempted to sing it, so that's kind of an interesting novelty. One of my favorite Moodies deep cuts.

anth67 likes this.
  13. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I was hoping for something more drastic. The thing is, Yes and Crimson records sounded (mostly) okay to begin with, but I've always found the classic seven Moodies records to be a sonic mess (especially with the drums, which are barely present at times, when they really should be driving the song). The new one is an improvement to the point where I'm not sure I'll ever go back to the original mix again, but they're not really that different, just, as said, a bit more clarity.

14. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Unable to find it anywhere online here in Oz. What a retail backwater we've become! Ended up buying it on eBay from a UK seller. Shipped the same day, should be here in a little over a week.

15. Mitchy

Mitchy Forum Resident

Amazon Aust finally had it available yesterday for $83 GST Incl plus $3.00 postage so i ordered it, it is already on its way but from a 3rd party seller in UK for some reason.

16. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Yep. Same UK seller as mine through eBay. Pricing about a dollar or two different but I went with eBay. Amazon are d*cking me around on the Kinks Village Green box and don't have other stuff I'm looking for, so I won't be dealing with them again. Shame, because Amazon US and UK have been great to me over the last decade.

I just checked and it seems the 50th Anniversary box of Lost Chord doesn't come up on a search of Amazon Australia anymore. The UK seller must've sold his stock (he had five in stock according to his eBay listing).

downer likes this.
  17. Was the Days Of Future Passed Box limited? I got that very cheap a year after release.

18. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I got it yesterday. The box (not book, as I thought it was) is nicely presented. There is a neat little book, and a music leaflet for Ride My See Saw.
    I'll say something about the 5.1 when I have had a chance to listen to it.

19. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

What's wrong with the book?

20. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

First impressions of this release.
    Packaging and booklet.
    1. Package is OK. A book format preferred over the box. The cardboard sleeves containing the CDs kinda bland.
    2. The booklet contains familiar photos and provides zero new details regarding the recording of the album.
    (Which should probably be the main basis of the set.)
    Would have been interesting if details such as the cello on “SeeSaw” was noted, or how certain effects were made. Who played exactly what in each track, recording dates, sessions, etc..

AlmostHeavenWV and BeSteVenn like this.
  21. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

There’s two on going posts on this.
    I think mark winstanley is referring to the package not being in a book format..
    Comes in a box.
    The other thread on this I discuss the book included in the set.

mark winstanley and Machiventa like this.
  22. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

No, the book is cool ... i thought it was a book like the jethro tull sets ... it is a box

PanaPlasma likes this.
  23. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Really enjoying the 5.1 mix. There's a review on Amazon there's not much in the rears, but I'm hearing plenty in all channels. The vocals in the rears for 'Legends Of A Mind' are great.

24. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

A lovely box, all told. The new mix is nice, but to me, and though it does sound sharper, inessential. All the other bonus material is great to have in one place. And everything sounds really good.

jl151080 likes this.
  25. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

from other thread on this topic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.