POLL: How do you rate Paul McCartney's "Chaos & Creation in the Backyard" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Apr 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

This is such an interesting, illuminating comment that draws on an understanding of music that I don't possess. I guess one might add that the title of the album itself combines a paradox similar to the one you describe. Anyway, love your bit of insight--helps deepen my appreciation of the album!

alamo54us, Paul H and Rob Hughes like this.
  2. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

:tiphat:

3. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Agree - this is a truly fine album. End to end. It has it all.

blutiga, streetlegal and Joti Cover like this.
  4. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Besides everything I think about the album as a whole (gorgeous), "Anyway" is phenomenal. Underrated, I suspect.

theMess and Rob Hughes like this.
  5. Mumbojunk

Mumbojunk Forum Resident

It's a good album, but I've never understood the love it gets in these parts. It sounds a little self-conscious to me, and the production is somewhat dry and airless. It lacks energy, and some of the songs sound unfinished or not properly thought through (listen to the lyrics of, say, Jenny Wren, At The Mercy or Anyway - there are some good lines in each, but do they actually hang together and tell a cohesive story?). The lyrics to This Never Happened Before make me cringe - real greetings card stuff.

But....on the plus side, the album does have a mood and style unlike any other McCartney record. And there are some fine songs - Riding to Vanity Fair is excellent, as is English Tea and Follow Me. Fine Line is irresistible, and I love the intro to Promise to You Girl. A Certain Softness is another stand-out, one of his best latter-day ballads. B-side Comfort of Love should've been on the album, too.

So there's a lot to enjoy and, if I'm in the right mood, it's a potent listen. I just don't like it as much as many others do. Memory Almost Full is much more my kind of McCartney.

6. Rob Hughes

Anyway may be my favorite track. Love it. Glorious.

theMess and streetlegal like this.
  7. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I love how we all like McCartney but often not the same McCartney! For me, Jenny Wren, At The Mercy and Anyway are top level McCartney, Riding to Vanity Fair is middling (I just find it drags) and Follow Me is lame dreck :)

Sean Murdock likes this.
  8. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Essential. In the very top tier of Solo Albums. I'll never forget the first time I heard it. Bought it cold. Before I had found the wonderful world of Internet forums to prime me for new releases. None of the musical minded people I knew could care less about a new McCartney album then or now. I immediately made Cdr's to give to everyone I knew who had even a passing interest in vintage Macca. Check this one out I said :cool:

9. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

Worth getting just for the bass on “Jenny Wren”

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  10. Mumbojunk

Mumbojunk Forum Resident

I will concede that, apart from its lyrical shortcomings, Anyway is a good song. But At The Mercy is a pretentious jumble, straining to be introspective, deep and profound but - for the most part - failing. Weakest song on the album, IMO.

11. Rob Hughes

Sounds like we disgree: if Anyway is my favorite, At the Mercy is a serious contender for my second-favorite on the album. I also like the lyrics on both, which give some basic shape to the musical mood of weariness and longing. I'm sort of a holistic listener, though -- it doesn't really make sense to me to stringently disassociate the parts of a song and consider them in isolation. So, the lyrics, considered apart from the music, may be just as you say, but since I really never attend to them that way, I have a different experience (of course it may also that we have different standards, or different triggers, for introspection and profundity).

theMess likes this.
  12. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Catching up to this old thread, as I have never listened to this album. I ordered the CD based on what I've read here.

Why have I not heard it? Paul is a frustrating listen for me, post 70's. I just gave up after a while. Because I pay attention to lyrics, however, it seems that Chaos & Creation might be a good re-entry point.

One thing: Over at the DR db, I see a lossless rating of DR5 - is that the deal for the CD??

13. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

C&C is certainly (imo) the best place to start, post-1980s, if you want good lyrics in a McCartney album -- it's a deep, thoughtful album and (apparently) Nigel Godrich banned any and all "let's just jam and make up lyrics on the spot" songs. For my money, there are LOTS of great latter-day Paul songs with good or even great lyrics -- from Flaming Pie on through Egypt Station. Even the much-maligned Driving Rain has songs with an earthy "realness" that helps them rise above the worst that album has to offer. But by all means, dive into Chaos & Creation and give it a few good listens -- it's a grower.

As for the DR rating, it is certainly louder than a piano-and-acoustic based album needs to be, and a handful of folks here with more sensitive ears have deemed it "unlistenable" or "ear-bleeding." You'll get a different answer from every response to your query. For me, it's perfectly listenable -- it just doesn't sound like Ram or Band On The Run. Memory Almost Full is -- by a MILE -- the worst-sounding CD Paul has ever released. So give C&C a shot, and if you like the songs but not the CD mastering, give the LP a try -- it's a bit better (albeit from the same master, I'd guess).

blutiga, Rob Hughes and theMess like this.
  14. Mr Day

Mr Day Hater of Fools

I really enjoy it. There’s a couple of tracks I’m lukewarm towards but otherwise a pretty solid effort, and definitely worth recommending

15. Figure of Eight

Figure of Eight Forum Resident

There's a few McCartney records that I'd recommend before this one - but yes, it's a very good late career effort. I can't fault most of the songs on it, even if I find Nigel Godrich's production quite monochromatic.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  16. Lemon Curry

Thank you.

If I'm interpreting the DR database correctly, the CD is DR5, the LP DR10. Quite a difference. Will give the CD the trial you suggest first, though.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  17. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Clearly one of his best works.
    Essential for Paul and Beatles fans.
    Gives Band On The Run a run for its money.

blutiga and theMess like this.
  18. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Twice agreed.

Bewaremylove likes this.
  19. Backdrifter62

Backdrifter62 Forum Resident

IMO his best work since BOTR. I love NG production. You can feel his touch on almost every track while Paul does not sound constrained at all. As a matter of fact I always remind of Radiohead’s Daydreaming while listening to How Kind of You. Then, we have Fine Line, with the backing vocals and the tambourine at the end of the song...just fantastic!!As the vinyl turns on... Friends to Go!! Wow, what a wonderful melody, and the final chorus makes me get emotional every time a listen to it! A Certain Softness is one of my personal favorites. The instrumentation here is magnificent, please do heed the piano in the middle of the song, this is McCartney at his very best!!!

Sean Murdock and theMess like this.
  20. His best post Beatles album. Mind you, it doesn't have much competition when you think about it.

If it has a flaw, and it surely does, it could be described as a little joyless and serious, never Maccas strongest points. Is that the Godrich influence?

21. Lemon Curry

BOTR and Ram are heavy duty competition, but I have my fingers crossed!

tug_of_war likes this.
  22. londonflash

londonflash Forum Resident

Pretty decent overall. Fine Line is a terrific track. I found the rest enjoyable overall but also quite forgettable.

Perhaps I should find it and give it another spin.

Can't believe this album is nearly 15 years old!

23. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I like the album for the high points and great songs, I love every song that we have heard from the sessions but I find it very overrated as an album. It’s been my favorite before, but somewhere I’ve lost the love. The monotonous sadness is just not something I’m in the mood for much. Still clearly one of his best albums though.

It is very good McCartney with all of the joy stripped from it, not even the upbeat songs sound like he is having a good time. I don’t know guys, I love it but it could never be my favorite.

My personal tracklisting:

1. Promise To You Girl
    2. How Kind of You
    3. Jenny Wren
    4. At the Mercy
    5. Friends to Go
    6. English Tea
    7. Too Much Rain
    8. A Certain Softness
    9. Riding to Vanity
    10. Follow Me
    11. Growing Up, Falling Down
    12. This Loving Game
    13. Anyway

24. Backdrifter62

Backdrifter62 Forum Resident

Well, I’ve never considered joylessness or seriousness a flaw when talking about music. In fact my favorite music tends to be sad or even bleak. Are OK Computer or Animals a bad albums because of their blekness?

Sean Murdock likes this.
  25. 51IS

51IS Forum Resident

If you read the book Vanity Fair by Thackeray (it’s really good!) you’ll probably come to the conclusion that it can’t be about anyone else than Heather.

Rob Hughes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.