How do you listen to your digital files in your stereo?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pizza, Dec 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

I love its phono state as well. No need for any external "upgrades" in my case .

2. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

SACDs are digital already.
    Ripping them to files for storage/playback can be done with various but specific players. The best source for this information is on ComputerAudiophile.com but here's a link to my gloss on the general process: Music in the Round #93: miniDSP & Ripping SACDs Page 2

3. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

FLAC files on 4TB WD Passport Ultra > Fanless Win10 PC > USB> Jitterbug > PS Audio Gain Cell Dac. Via Foobar2000 controlled by Android app FoobarCon Pro on phone or tablet, BECAUSE all the remote apps for J. River sucked!! Badly.

4. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Yes , obviously SACD is digital already, the poster said, "push SACD to digital" meaning to me he has a device which plays SACD and permits its digital output. I've read about doing it. I do not have much interest in it, since I can just digitally copy from the CD layer to iTunes. creating an ALAC file, which seems to me to be indistinguishable from SACD playback. BTW, for multi-channel music, the easiest is just to download it from Acoustic Sounds onto a usb drive and then I can play whatever it is gaplessly from my OPPO UDP-205.

5. Kal Rubinson

I cannot know what is in your mind but the phrase "push SACD to digital" does not appear in your post nor in the one to which you responded. "UPDATE: with a push to digitize all of my SACDs, I've now moved to two 5 TB servers (one for DSD files and the other for 320MP3 files) connected to my router - which leaves some room for eventual growth / expansion of the collection."
    I responded to the question you actually asked.

6. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

Definitely very good when I tried it out. Wanted tubes though so I have a Yaqin MS-23B

JackG likes this.
  7. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

Files loaded to a USB stick then plugged into my Oppo DAC.

8. Maccaroni

Maccaroni Forum Resident

Mac Mini via Plex to a Chromecast audio plugged into my amp.

9. Melvin

Melvin Forum Resident

flac (uncompressed) on Oyen Digital MiniPro Thunderbolt SSD

Mac mini <USB> Bel Canto mLink <BNC> MHDT Lab Pagoda DAC
    or
    Mac mini <USB> dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC
    or
    Chromecast Audio <Toslink> MHDT Lab Pagoda DAC

10. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Plex to Roku

11. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

As per other threads on this Forum (and others) I have the necessary player that allows it, and the requisite software to make it happen. I just followed the well-documented instructions that I found.

Now that it's been done, and given that I am pretty much not buying physical media anymore, I don't expect to have to do any more any time soon.

Jeff

12. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Thanks Kal. :)

In case it's still not clear, "push" (in this case) meant "put some concerted effort into..."

My use of "digitize" was indeed redundant / incorrect. Apologies for any confusion caused. I of course meant to say "transfer the digital contents from physical media to my new server(s)."

I take pride in being as accurate as possible in what I post (because like Kal, I don't hide behind a "handle"!) and when I fail to do so it does bother me.

Jeff

13. Kal Rubinson

Or just "rip." :agree:

Yes. Accuracy and clarity are also important for communication.

14. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

• bluesound
    • roon server on an Intel nuc connected via usb to bryston bda3.
    • USB DAC with pc or laptop when using headphones.

15. Stromung

Stromung Well-Known Member

Can I use usb adapter?

16. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Files on a Synology NAS 214-Play to an Auralic Aries Mini (also streaming Tidal) with SBooster Power Supply to an Audio Note Dac-3 Signature.

17. Projectman

Projectman Forum Resident

Using an Aurender X100L 12TB server/streamer to PSAudio Direcstream DAC via USB in my main system and an Aurender N100H 4TB server/streamer to a Mytek Brooklyn DSC via USB in my home office.

Eyal likes this.
  18. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music.

Replaced the Mac Mini this week with Roon Nucleus. Better HDMI interface/switching. Full control on iPad Mini 4. No more trackpad or wireless keyboard to run the Mac Mini. Better SQ? We'll see (hear), but I hope I don't hear NewEquipmentBias.

19. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I plug my laptop into my Esoteric K03's DAC input and control the files with JRiver MC24. In about two weeks I'll do the same with my new McIntosh MA9000!

20. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

QNAP NAS to Sonore UltraRendu to the usb input of my Modwright Oppo 205. I control everything with Roon.

21. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

...what digital file? :shrug:

dalem5467 likes this.
  22. October Man

October Man Extraordinary tunes from the hard drive

Windows laptop to a Behringer UCA202. Optical Out to a Sony MDR-JE530 Minidisc recorder and then to my amp.
    A bit long-winded but it means I can record anything on the Internet onto Minidisc

[​IMG]

adriatikfan, Wayne Bull and PhilBiker like this.
  23. SonOFJames

SonOFJames Forum Resident

2012 Mac Book Pro, Audirvana +, Flac & Lossless mostly, a few DSD files on External USB2 4TB Drive (backed up x2), AQ Jitterbug x2, AQ Dragonfly Black Mk2, Pangea Interconnect. Should last me until I last.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  24. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

I'm getting old. I don't have a faint clue about the function of most gear quoted in this thread.

ChuckyBuck likes this.
  25. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Media Server PC (in basement) S/PDIF out >> upstairs receiver

My preferred interface these days is Foobar controlled via MonkeyMote (any laptop/iPad/Smartphone).

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.