The Mayans

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chazro, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident Thread Starter

The show's got a long way to go before it reaches SOA levels. Beyond having a story line that instantaneously hooked you, think of the characters and the actors that made you immediately love/hate them. Sorry to say ain't none of that happening on the Mayans yet. But it's been getting better. I just wonder if the shows gonna be around long enough to find it's 'legs'. Maybe Sutter thought he'd make up in Latino viewers what he's probably losing in his regular market but....wierd, the very thing that may turn off some viewers, a mexican-centric show, suffers from the show not being Latino enough! I think these are the most caucasian-acting cholos I've ever seen!;)

2. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Due to good writing and good acting.

3. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Surpised the rebels let the 9 year old boy into their camp so easily without a background check.

4. dmiller458

That scar means he works for the cartel?

5. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I believe so. Galindo sliced all those boys’ hands during that blood oath to bring them on as spies for him.

6. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Your criticism of the caucasian acting Latinos is fooling me and first I’ve heard of it.
    It had highest ratings since 2016 for a debut on cable in the 19-49 age range.

7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

This show for me is getting better. . . but still doesn't seem much different than Sons of Anarchy and I thought it would be more different. And we even have one Sons character as a regular (Chuckie) and a munitions jacketed British riding person from the Sons series just showed up. . . .

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. dmiller458

Now they've added Ray McKinnon as USADA Lincoln Potter.

9. Chazro

While I'd agree that the show's improving, it's still taking 'baby' steps. Last week while cruising Netflix I decided to watch the 1st few episodes of the 2nd season of SOA. Man, Sutter's creative juices were on fire back than! SOA is truly superior in every way. The oddest thing that sticks out at me is how much more pronounced the female presence was in SOA. From top to bottom, there were great actresses in great roles. In the Mayans there's a void as there's barely ANY women at any level of interest. Sutter oughtta go back and re-visit his old work. He needs to do a cannonball instead if getting into the pool one toe at a time!;)

Humbuster likes this.
  10. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Is anyone watching Mr. Inbetween on FX? It airs right after The Mayans. Each episode in only 30 min but they air 2 back to back each week. Renewed for S2. I have the FX channel now and enjoying catching up on their catelogue.

Scope J likes this.
  11. Chazro

Haven't missed an episode! Not great but pretty good after you get used to the Aussie rhythm of things!;) When this guy grins I see a young Willem Dafoe!

12. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Yes he does look like Dafoe!
    Cool to see Damon Harriman again who played Dewey Crowe in Justified.

13. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Episode 9 is getting confusing.
    I didn’t understand why she took the cartel’s lawyer’s head off. Was that in exchange for the cartel killing the priest? And he decided to have his lawyer killed because he lied all these years how his brother died?

14. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

no you missed it. the cartel lawyer was a soldier back then and was the responsible for what happened to her family

Brenald79 likes this.
  15. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Got it. Was the priest responsible as well?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Matthew Tate

he like gave away a location or something to the cartel i think is what happened

Brenald79 likes this.
  17. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Thanks.

What do you think of the show?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Matthew Tate

the last few episode were good. the first 5-6 were boring

Brenald79 likes this.
  19. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Good season, looking fwd to S02

Matthew Tate and Brenald79 like this.
  20. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

I watched every single season of Sons of Anarchy mostly because of Charlie Hunnam. I'm also a big fan of Drea de Matteo. I really liked the fact that there were no F words in the show. There were a lot of things I didn't like about the series but I felt compelled to watch all of it so I could make an informed decision and participate in the discussions. I just couldn't bring myself to get excited about The Mayans spinoff. I can't relate to any of the characters or their culture. I think Emilio Rivera is a good actor though.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Watching S01 on Hulu, it's
    pretty good, Brooke Satchwell....OMG

Matthew Tate and Brenald79 like this.
  22. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

For all the praise Barry gets, I actually thought this similar series was just as good or better. New season September 12.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I am stoked for the 2nd season.

The 1st Season started slow, but ended really well.

Hoping to get a Strong 5 Seasons out of 'The Mayans', as 'SOA' started to go bad in the 6th Season(Violent for just being Violent and not utilized, as emotional pull, like in the earlier Seasons and was especially well done with the Death of Tig's Daughter and Opie), but the last Few Episodes of the Series(7th Season) ended well(although predictable for me and several other people apparently, having guessed correctly the end for Jax).

Brenald79 and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Name one blokey-bloke named Quentin.

Brenald79 likes this.
  25. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I never got into SOA but have really been enjoying The Mayans and am happy that for once a show I like is getting a second season!