Queen "Bohemian Rhapsody" The Original Soundtrack

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lwh1, Sep 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Everything? Did you not even think the Live Aid scene was impressively filmed?

2. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

If you were a food critic and you went for a meal in a restaurant and the food was really bad - would you need to eat the whole dish before you could comment on it?

3. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Oh. She said that she wouldn't watch another biopic after seeing the amazing 'The Doors'. She said nothing about no one would ever compare to that.

4. KAJ1971

Yes I would.

EDIT
    Anyway, they're hardly comparable.

5. NightGoatToCairo

That's why you sat through the film and I didn't ;)

6. cmi

cmi Forum Resident

Wrong! Osaka 15/05/1985

http://queenlive.ca/songs-queen.htm

7. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

The Japan gig had been mention earlier on this thread. You should've carried on reading past my comment you're replying to. Either way, it was '85.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Woah.... just saw it at a huge 1920's theatre and enjoyed it VERY much. Yes, not especially authentic concerning certain aspects but immensely enjoyable.

9. KAJ1971

Well you'd be entitled to give your opinion, it'd just be based on very little of substance. Hello C21!

10. NightGoatToCairo

I'll watch the second half of the movie when it comes to the Comedy Channel. LIL.

11. KAJ1971

So when you express your opinion then, you'll be doing it safe in the knowledge that you've fully digested what you're talking about.

12. NightGoatToCairo

The Show Must Go On, darling x

13. KAJ1971

"Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die."

14. Danderpet

Danderpet Forum Resident

I'm a screenwriter and a Queen fan. After watching the movie, yesterday, those two halves of me have been in quite a dialogue. In any biopic, real-life tends to be wrapped up into some kind of "hero's journey" narrative structure, but this story had some uncomfortable contortions. Maybe nothing a casual watcher would care for, but I was taken back a few times, thinking... " wait, what?!"

However, I think Rami Malek was wonderful, the way Live Aid is contextualized and filmed is emotionally effective, and the music sounds great, cranked t in surround sound.

15. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

It made me want a Pepsi and another chance to open a TDK cassette.

16. KAJ1971

It'd take more than FM coming back from beyond the grave to make me want a Pepsi. You must have a house full of **** every time you turn the tv on. :cool:

17. juanmanuel

juanmanuel Forum Resident

I have just seen the movie today. I really liked it a lot. I did not even notice that I had been seeing it for more than two hours. Putting aside historical accuracy (we already have excellent documentaries that cover these matters) and all that stuff, the film is quite respectful to Freddie and his legacy and this is crucial for me. So, congratulations to every people that participated in this film.

danielbravo likes this.
  18. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I don't really watch tv. I was just pointing out the blatant ad placements during that part of the film. It was the other moment where I thought about Wayne's World.

19. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

Saw this with my wife last night.

I'm a more-than-casual Queen fan and enjoyed the movie for what it was - a fictionalized story about a great band. It's definitely not a documentary. I knew about the timeline changes and inaccuracies before I went in, but I was surprised that it didn't bug me nearly as much as I thought it would. I understand on a certain level that trying to fit 20 years of a real story into a 2-hour package is a challenge, but I'm not sure *all* of the timeline shuffling was really necessary. And I think it really would've been helpful and honest of the filmmakers to insert a disclaimer at the beginning of the movie stating that it was a dramatized version of a true story and that the timeline had been rearranged somewhat. Why didn't they do that?

As moviemaking goes, it veered towards schmaltzy and cliche more than a few times (particularly in the Munich scenes), but I enjoyed the concert sequences and (mostly) the casting choices.

Some observations:

• Aiden Gillen, who played manager John Reed, basically was doing Littlefinger (his character from Game of Thrones) in a polyester suit.
    • Rami Malek did a really good *impersonation* of Freddie Mercury, but I'm not sure he really captured him (to be fair: I don't think that's possible anyway). He got the mannerisms down and the stage moves were spot on, but I didn't buy in completely - I never did quite forget that I was looking at Rami Malek playing Freddie Mercury. And the script's portrayal of Freddie seemed a bit shallow and humorless, unfortunately...not Rami's fault.
    • Gwilym Lee as Brian May, on the other hand, was uncanny. Gwilym's physical resemblance to Brian is incredible, and he absolutely nailed the voice, mannerisms, stage moves...incredible. Rami is getting all of the attention but I found Gwilym more convincing as Brian than I did Rami as Freddie.
    • Joe Mazello was good as John Deacon - I think. He looks like Deacy. But I haven't seen enough footage of the real John Deacon speaking to have a good idea if he pulled it off or not. And unfortunately I couldn't help thinking "that's the guy who played Dustin Moskovitz in The Social Network".
    • I actually found myself getting a bit misty at parts of it - and those parts were *all* in the musical performances. Queen's Live Aid performance was one of those events where I can remember exactly where I was and who I was with (and even what I was wearing) when I saw it (and I usually can't remember what I had for lunch...). The film does a fantastic job with recreating the live performances. See it at a theater with a good sound system!
    I'd give it a 7/10.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  20. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

``Rami is getting all of the attention but I found Gwilym more convincing as Brian than I did Rami as Freddie.´´

Agree 100%.

sunking101 and Carlox like this.
  21. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

And oh yeah - the soundtrack CD:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed Folder: Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody Soundtrack [2018 Hollywood Records CD]_dr.txt
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Filename
    DR4 -0.02 dB -8.65 dB 01 20th Century Fox Fanfare.wav
    DR8 -0.08 dB -10.71 dB 02 Somebody To Love.wav
    DR9 -0.03 dB -11.37 dB 03 Doing All Right (Revisited) (with Smile).wav
    DR7 over -8.39 dB 04 Keep Yourself Alive (Live at the Rainbow Theatre, London, 31 March 1974).wav
    DR7 -0.54 dB -10.00 dB 05 Killer Queen.wav
    DR8 -0.00 dB -9.41 dB 06 Fat Bottomed Girls (Live in Paris, France, 27 February 1979).wav
    DR8 -0.09 dB -12.50 dB 07 Bohemian Rhapsody.wav
    DR8 -0.08 dB -10.04 dB 08 Now I'm Here (Live at Hammersmith Odeon, London, 24 December 1975).wav
    DR7 over -9.20 dB 09 Crazy Little Thing Called Love.wav
    DR11 -0.10 dB -14.80 dB 10 Love Of My Life (Live at Rock in Rio Festival, 18 January 1985).wav
    DR6 over -8.67 dB 11 We Will Rock You (Movie Mix).wav
    DR8 over -10.30 dB 12 Another One Bites The Dust.wav
    DR8 over -10.52 dB 13 I Want To Break Free.wav
    DR7 -0.00 dB -10.76 dB 14 Under Pressure (with David Bowie).wav
    DR7 over -11.66 dB 15 Who Wants To Live Forever.wav
    DR9 -0.09 dB -10.28 dB 16 Bohemian Rhapsody (Live Aid, Wembley Stadium, London, 13 July 1985).wav
    DR9 -0.09 dB -10.10 dB 17 Radio Ga Ga (Live Aid, Wembley Stadium, London, 13 July 1985).wav
    DR11 -0.12 dB -12.31 dB 18 Ay-Oh (Live Aid, Wembley Stadium, London, 13 July 1985).wav
    DR9 -0.08 dB -10.00 dB 19 Hammer To Fall (Live Aid, Wembley Stadium, London, 13 July 1985).wav
    DR8 -0.09 dB -9.10 dB 20 We Are The Champions (Live Aid, Wembley Stadium, London, 13 July 1985).wav
    DR8 -0.07 dB -10.24 dB 21 Don't Stop Me Now (Revisited).wav
    DR7 -0.00 dB -10.23 dB 22 The Show Must Go On.wav
    Number of Files: 22
    Official DR Value: DR8
    ==============================================================================================

22. manco

manco Forum Resident

I don't get it. The real Queen story is so compelling but the film had to sanitize it. SMH

23. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

It was guitarry!

Pennywise likes this.
  24. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

. . . with the reservation that it was a Queen biopic, not a Freddie Mercury biopic.

Saw it yesterday. They included enough about FM's personal life for people to "get the picture." More would have driven away a goodly part of the intended audience.

Matthew Tate and longaway like this.
  25. 9 Volt

9 Volt That cat's something I can't explain

Saw the film this past weekend. Really not much I can add to the comments of others who have seen it and posted here. I went in with an open mind, deciding in advance to not let the whole timeline time warp thing bother me.

On a certain level I truly enjoyed the film for what it was, a big budget Hollywood biopic. I will say that although I thought that Rami Malek had every move and inflection of Freddie down perfectly to me there was not quite enough true emotional depth to his over-the-top performance. Kind of like a book with an amazing 24k gold and jewel-studded cover but not much of anything compelling written inside. At times I felt like Rami was showing off as if to say "Look at me! Aren't I amazing as Freddie?" And visually he really was. Just seemed a bit shallow to me. My 2 cents of course, ymmv.

No matter though, I recommend every Queen fan to see it. Thoroughly enjoyable film if you don't take it too seriously.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.