Concerts you went to for the opening act, not the headliner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jparis51, Aug 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DiBosco

DiBosco Forum Resident

Aimee Mann opening for World Party at the Academy 1 in Manchester. When we got there I was ecstatic to find Dave Gregory was playing in Aimee's band, so I finally got to see an XTC member playing live. World Party were good, but seeing Aimee live was...:love::love::love:

2. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

I forgot about this. I had bought tickets to see Fleetwood Mac with Squeeze opening. I really wanted to see Squeeze. The day after I bought the ticket I won 2 tickets from a radio station to the 2nd show. So I went to the 1st one and stayed for FM, but for the 2nd show I bolted after Squeeze, and gave my unused 2nd seat to some poor soul looking for a FM ticket in the parking lot.

MungoMusic and DiBosco like this.
  3. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Thin Lizzy were really good with Gary and saw them again later in the year, at the Palladium NYC, with Robbo back in the band and they were incredible.

4. crazywater

crazywater Dangerous Dreamer...

Gary Clark Jr opening for My Morning Jacket

5. Anybody that was opening for Rufus Wainwright.

6. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

It was in 88.
    Somewhere in the US.

;)

7. slowhand1964

slowhand1964 A Tadpole in a Jar

I think it was in 1987, I went to see the Georgia Satellites open for Bob Seger. Was a huge fan of the Satellites and really had no interest in Seger. The Satellites rocked hard and I remember saying , "No way Seger can come close to that".

Well.... Bob Seger came out and blew the Satellites off the stage. He was remarkable! Still listen to Seger today, not so much of the Satellites

seed_drill likes this.
  8. JoseUnidos

JoseUnidos Forum Resident

Alex Chilton opening for Scruffy The Cat.

9. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Just earlier this year. Drove down to Leicester. The Psychedelic Furs were the headline act, but I went to see Richard Strange (and band) performing his entire 'The Phenomenal Rise Of Richard Strange' album. And damn fine it was too. The Furs weren't bad either actually, but they're not really a band I dig, so I didn't know a lot of their material.

10. Efus

Efus Senior Member

The Cult touring Electric, opening for Billy Idol, summer of 1987.

twicks likes this.
  11. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Sympathy vote - can't stand the arrogance of people like those audience members you had to deal with . A horrible blend of group pressure, sense of entitlement, arrogance and lousy taste in music.

12. BZ58

BZ58 Forum Resident

Rory Gallagher opening for Kansas. Not a fan of Kansas. It was sometime in the mid 70’s.

Another was Gentle Giant opening for Rick Wakeman.

13. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

I went to see Richard Thompson at the Royal Albert Hall (1996 I think) primarily to see the support act, Ron Sexsmith.

14. Dopey

Dopey Well-Known Member

Miranda Cosgrove opening for Emily Osment

15. Chance

Chance Forum Resident

The Runaways opening for the Ramones, early '78. Regrettably, left a few songs into the Ramones set, not because they were bad, but because we didn't really know them and hadn't come for them. We were huge Runaways fans. Now, of course, I smack my forehead at passing up a chance to see the Ramones in their prime.

Cheap Trick opening for Squeeze a few years ago. Trick were okay, but not what they were when I'd seen them with Bun E. decades before. Squeeze were great.

The Clash opening for The Who at Shea. Poor Joe and the guys looked like ants out there, but I was really impressed at how hard The Who could rock a baseball stadium.

16. jawilshere

jawilshere Forum Resident

8/8/92. Little Frat opened for George Thoroughgood at Jones Beach. Loved the Feat. Left one song in to GT.

17. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

The Pogues opening for U2
    86 i think

18. Jimbo912

Jimbo912 Forum Resident

Santana opening for Rod Stewart about 5 years ago

19. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Babes In Toyland supporting Manic Street Preachers in 1992.

20. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

Allman Bros. opening for B. J. Thomas.
    Cactus opening for Uriah Heep.

Dopey likes this.
  21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

July 4, 1987! Assuming you saw them in Paris! :)

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You have it backwards - NIN opened for Bowie in 1995.

Bowie did "open" for Moby in 2002 - that was a festival show and Bowie was like the 6th act on the bill, but he "allowed" Moby to close since it was Moby's festival...

23. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

correct @ Vincennes horse races stadium . i still remember the heat and dust
    actually the Pogues set was terrible , sound issues in particular , too big a place for them i guess
    U2 were good

Oatsdad likes this.
  24. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

King's X opening for Pearl Jam in 1994. I wasn't a big fan of PJ then. I like them more now than I did then, at least the first couple of albums.

25. hubertfarnsworth

hubertfarnsworth Forum Resident

Hoodoo Gurus opening for the Bangles, Spring 1986. Not that I disliked the Bangles, but I loved the Gurus.

phillyal1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.