What is your worst concert experience?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beachboydw, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

I take it that one will not be televised?

2. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

I remember seeing Mellencamp about 20 years ago and he really half-assed it for under two hours. Apparently he also cut it short (It was either no encore, or maybe one quick song?) to watch some mega-hyped boxing match that ended in just a matter of minutes. So I heard, anyhow. I was pissed.

Fullbug likes this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, at some point Mellencamp went from roughly 3-hour shows in the 80s to like 90-minute concerts in the 00s.

I last saw him in 2001 (IIRC), and it did feel like a half-assed show. Maybe he's gotten back on track since then, but I've been jazzed enough to go.

Though my two "worst" Mellencamp concerts were ones I didn't attend!

In December 1985, I had tickets to see him in Baltimore, but my POS Chevette conked out on the drive from VA so I missed the show.

I was 18 and my parents were out of town, so I had no one to call to help - and it was tougher to do in those pre-cell phone days anyway. I ended up getting towed the 40 miles from the BW Parkway to my house! My Dad was not happy he had to pay that bill! :laugh:

Also, in August 1994, I had tickets for Mellencamp at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia MD. There's a mall very close to the venue, so when I go to MPP shows, I park there - easier to get out after the concert.

I parked at the mall and right away a security guard asked if I was there for the concert. I figured she was gonna tell me I couldn't park there, but I admitted the purpose of my visit.

She told me the show had been canceled! This was right after Mellencamp had his heart attack, though I don't think we knew that's the reason for the cancellation.

I just got back in my car and drove the 40 miles home.

Lesson? Don't try to see Mellencamp in or near Baltimore! :D

4. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

How great is that article? Not that I'll be go to the forum anytime soon, but all the useful information that is not in wikipedia.
    The kind of stuff I would tell about a venue if anyone asked and would hope to receive the same if I asked.
    Where is the best place to watch the show? How is the beer?

rikki nadir likes this.
  5. fretbuzzed

fretbuzzed Forum Resident

pretty much every open air gig these days is spoilt by 'daytrippers' who are not really into the band or the music.
    It would appear they just just want to take selfies and talk incessantly during the gig.
    Thus spoiling everyone's enjoyment who is close by who has come to listen to the band.

I had to miss Roger Waters at Hyde Park this year due to late commitments and gave my friends my tickets.
    If I am honest, having seen the footage on YT of the gig I think I dodged a bullet there as I don't think I could have handled it peacefully.
    I am generally quite calm and laid back, but some of the window lickers at Hyde Park would have sent me over the edge.

Yap, Yap, Yap, ffs shut the funk up will ya.

It would appear from the footage they only came for 'the hit'. I think I would have delivered a hit sooner than the band.

6. George Jones in Ithaca/Trumansburg NY at the great Grassroots Festival a couple years ago... just before he called it a day & apparently some time after he should have... never had gotten a chance to see him before... while he was something major I was looking forward to at the fest, at least there were other great acts there.

Brian Wilson at the NY State Fair in Syracuse last year ... I've seen him a couple other times solo & he was wonderful. This last time he was just awful & sadly it also appeared that he felt like he sounded too. It was a couple hours of driving round trip, but at least the show was a free heartbreaker - just injury, no insult added...

InStepWithTheStars and Skywheel like this.
  7. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

I forgot that Grady Cole was called Park Center until the late '80s. It's still there. The Charlotte roller derby team has their matches there.

8. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I saw quite a few great shows there in the early 70’s. If memory serves me Pink Floyd, Leon Russell, James Gang, Blue Oyster Cult and Johnny Winter to name a few. I seem to recall the Pink Floyd tickets were $6.00 a piece and they played the brand spanking new album Dark Side of The Moon. I had never heard anything from it played on the radio yet.

Sorry not trying to thread crap just having a flashback.

Mark B. likes this.
  9. Sneaky Pete

I don’t know how I missed that debacle maybe I had to work at the car wash.

Remember High School?

10. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

Yeah, it's actually a decent place to see a concert. Better sound than Independence Arena (the "old" Coliseum). I saw a handful of shows there late '80s, early '90s: Little Feat, Mylon LeFever, Michael W. Smith, and a few others.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  11. Sneaky Pete

I saw some great blues shows at the old Owens Auditorium too back then. They were two of my favorite venues in Charlotte, but after graduation in 1975 I moved to NYC.

Mark B. likes this.
  12. MisterNines

MisterNines American

1979 - as teenagers, sneaked into Foghat/Billy Paul at the Boston Garden.

Security guard chased us, so we ducked under a stack of folding temporary seating.

Turns out, the circus was there the week before. Days earlier, lots'a large animals must'a been roaming the floor we were laying on.

We escaped, but since we had no tickets, we had to crouch down in front of various peoples' seats throughout the show.

Smelling like circus animals - in the (possibly) 98 degree Garden - we thought it best to relocate fairly frequently.

Probably the only reason we were tolerated is because we liberally shared our "supplies".

13. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds Forum Resident

Santana when he opened for Jeff Beck back in (I think) '93. His setlist was straight out of WTF?

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  14. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

Wow, couple of blasts from the past! I remember Hughes Stadium (I'm in Stockton)- but I can't remember if I saw any bands there. And I loved GBoA!

But as for Tool, you are dead to me. :p

15. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Wait, the "Me & Mrs. Jones" guy?

They had some weird opening acts in the 70s, that's all I'm going to say.

Hammerpeg, pig bodine, clhboa and 2 others like this.
  16. sleepjar

sleepjar Underachiever

Funny story, hopefully appropriate for this thread: When I was dating the woman who would become my wife, I thought I heard her say she liked Diana Ross. So when I found out Diana was playing at a local venue, I surprised my gal with tickets. We attended the show, which was not my cup of tea, and when it ended I asked her if she liked it. She replied that she hated it. I said, “What do you mean? I thought you liked Diana Ross!” She looked at me like I had two heads and said, “I don’t like Diana Ross, I went because I thought YOU liked her!” We continued back and forth like this while the crowd filed out around us.

17. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Surprised nobody has mentioned Cat Power.

Saw her once, at a point when I was heavily into Moon Pics etc.

This was when she put out the Covers LP. I think I listened to that album once and filed it away. Anyway the live performance was such a disappointment. She only played a handful of songs. Most of the time she just fiddled with a keyboard. I think at one point she just stood on the stage crying. I pretty much lost interest in anything she did after that.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  18. MisterNines

MisterNines American

...oh, man - I didn't catch that 'til you asked about it!

Not Billy Paul.

Henry Paul!!

...not like it would'a made a much different impact on me that night (...or would it?).

uzn007, you've got me laughin' so hard now thinkin' 'bout "the 'Me & Mrs. Jones' guy"!!!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  19. Irish-Matti

Irish-Matti Music Lover Since Birth

The Cape Cod Coliseum.

uzn007 and MisterNines like this.
  20. MisterNines

MisterNines American

I loved that HOT HOT place!

uzn007 and Irish-Matti like this.
  21. Irish-Matti

CCC Lots of great shows, God awful venue.
    Total sweatbox! The part of me that isn't Irish, is Finnish.
    I have never been in a more unforgiving sauna.

bumbletort and MisterNines like this.
  22. MisterNines

MisterNines American

"CCC Lots of great shows, God awful venue."

We'd get there in the afternoon, to see the bands get off the bus.

Allmans; Charlie Daniels; Santana; Kinks; Tubes; Clash; Elvis Costello; probably many more I can't think of off-hand.

Festival Seating (sprint to the front).

It was SO HOT in there - but the attire was scant and they sold beer and wine.

wrappedinsky, uzn007 and Irish-Matti like this.
  23. Irish-Matti

J. Geils was always a given.

MisterNines likes this.
  24. MisterNines

MisterNines American

I heard they made that building a Christmas Tree storage facility - and now it's gone?

Well, there's still the Melody Tent.

25. plugmeintosomething

plugmeintosomething Forum Resident

Saw him about 12 years ago and same thing. No crowd interaction, no encore. He would walk off stage between songs. The good thing was John Fogerty opened and blew the doors off the place!