Caravan on CD help please

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fishoutofwater, Nov 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. awizard

awizard Forum Resident

Please site some examples of Byrne's mastering where noise reduction was applied!

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  2. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

The Soft machine - Third
    Caravan - For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night (e.g. Hoedown)

uzn007 and Fishoutofwater like this.
  3. Fishoutofwater

Fishoutofwater Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have just ordered a 1989 Deram CD of ITLOGAP to see if i like it more than the Byrne remasters. I will let you know what i think.

abzach and Plan9 like this.
  4. Fishoutofwater

5. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

I loved Byrne's remasters. It's the original Derams I disliked. On the "Mr Policeman" song from the debut, the singing is really buried as to make it unintelligible.

6. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I have compared all digital versions (no kidding!) and for ITLOGAP and FGWGPITN (acronyms!) the 2014 SHM-CDs are my favourites.
    By the way, these 2014 "Platinum" SHM-CDs were also pressed as non-Platinum SHM-CDs with the exact same mastering for a cheaper price (and better reflectivity as using platinum for the reflective layer is inferior to aluminium...). If you are so inclined there is also a 2016 SHM-SACD with the same mastering.

Other than these, the original Deram CDs are excellent for the most part, the 2001 remasters are excellent for the most part.
    The originals sound like good "warts and all" analogue transfers of the tapes (better than most 80s digital transfers); the remasters are more cleaned up but very slightly sterile.
    They are both excellent frankly, and it's hard to make a Caravan album sound bad. The catalogue has always been very well served sound-wise.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    stenway, pulpo, Pete Puma and 3 others like this.
  7. Fishoutofwater

Thanks for that. Very helpful. I will see how i get on with the Deram when it arrives and if i am feeling flush i might just have a pop at the cheaper SHM CD. Thanks again.

Plan9 likes this.
  8. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I dig my 1989 Mantras.

9. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

I don't think there even was an original Deram CD for the debut album, so that comparison is not a counterexample. I do agree that the Byrne remaster of the debut album is very nice, though.

10. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Me too. Plus the (now pricey) box set and Live at Fairfield Halls.
    ITLOGAP has a superb DVD-A disc.

11. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

That's correct, the debut was on Verve and was first released on CD on HTD Records.

12. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

ITLOGAP isn't a DVD-A, it is a DVD-V with only a Dolby Digital stereo and surround mix on it. Regardless of the low bitrate lossy data, it still is an excellent surround mix by Steven Wilson.

Plan9 and MrSka57 like this.
  13. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes, even the stereo remix is in lossy Dolby form. A really stupid decision by the label.

14. Fishoutofwater

The Deram copy of ITLOGAP arrived today. I really enjoyed it. Is it better than the Byrne version i already have? No, not in my opinion. Is it worse? No. Is it slightly different and worth having. Yes, very much so. I am glad i have both versions. I love this album. Will i spend more money on any other versions? No. I am very happy with what i have. Thanks to you all for your input. I am now listening to Caravan self titled. Also arrived today. Never heard it before. Great stuff. Listening to the Mono and waiting till the Stereo kicks in. Got it cheap on ebay. Happy again. This has been a helpful thread. Should i go for waterloo lilly? I have not heard it in too many years. What do you think?

VVK, LivingForever and Plan9 like this.
  15. Bowland

Bowland Forum Resident

I've got Deram CDs of Grey and Pink and If I Could Do It All Over... dated 1989, and they sound really poor, lifeless and dull. I'd like to obtain good sounding versions of these on CD, as they are favourite LPs of mine, so any advice would be appreciated!

16. Bowland

Bowland Forum Resident

Another Caravan favourite of mine...

17. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

You'll possibly like the 2001 remasters a bit better, but these shouldn't sound "really poor" to you. How long since you last listened to them? They are representative of the sound of the albums and not that different from the remasters.

18. Fishoutofwater

I like the Deram versions but if you dont try Byrne reissues. Might suite you better

19. Fishoutofwater

agreed my friend

phil1db and Plan9 like this.
  20. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Waterloo Lily is nice. Not as good as For Girls Who... IMO. I prefer the original CD for WL.

21. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

22. Fishoutofwater

Do you mean the 1990 Issue?

23. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    mark winstanley likes this.
  24. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes, the original CD mastering. There are only two official masterings on CD for this one, this and the 2001 remaster.

25. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

sorry didn't have time to go through the thread. I was kind of questioning if he had considered it. I don't know if it is a good one, but normally they're pretty good ... Also looks like it is just about dried up for availability ..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.