The Soul Revival: Daptone, Colemine, Big Crown, et al*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by andres lira, Nov 17, 2014.

1. djej

djej Forum Resident

The Ben Pirani album is releasing this month on Colemine. Jr. Thomas & The Volcanos in October on Colemine.

DLant likes this.
  2. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Yeah $48 doesn’t seem bad for a deluxe set. I’m in. The download card with seeds what a cool idea.

DLant and 3Dman like this.
  3. djej

djej Forum Resident

Got my Ben Pirani LP this weekend. The strongest material has already been issued, for the most part, but still a decent LP.

Pre-ordered the Jr. Thomas & The Volcanos today along with the Nico Collins & The Soul Chance 45. Color vinyl on both options went up for sale today along with another 45 by Wesley Bright & The Honeytones.

mantis4tons and DLant like this.
  4. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

My Sha La Das was lost in the mail so I was emailing with Andy from Daptone. Couple small items to share -

I mentioned how I couldn't wait for the new CB and his response was "...the new CB is something else!"

Then I asked if there was any chance for a 'Living on Soul' soundtrack - "It's in the works, though there's no set date for a release at this point. Everything was recorded."

5. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

I got the Sha La Das, like it a lot. I looked at the CB, but didn’t get it.

6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I was away for a couple of weeks, so I'm giving the Sha La Das (colored vinyl!) its first spin right now. I'm liking it even more than I anticipated! :righton:

Too bad it didn't come out a few months earlier, it would've made a great LP for summer listening.

DLant likes this.
  7. guidedbyvoices

Have they announced what the 4 stripped down songs will be on the deluxe Charles Bradley release?

DLant likes this.
  8. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

New single released today:

Arkoffs and guidedbyvoices like this.
  9. guidedbyvoices

Nice! This one is really good too. I wonder if these 4 unreleased tunes were started for a new album, or leftovers from the vault.

DLant and Arkoffs like this.
  10. DLant

It's hard to tell, at least for me - his voice has always seemed consistent on recordings. Touring videos and such, you can hear some strain from repeat usage.

I'm still waiting for an official release of "Brother, I'm Down"

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  11. guidedbyvoices

I did see on twitter that Cant Fight the feeling is from 2007, the Menahan St sound on that high pluck guitar thing is the giveaway guess

DLant likes this.
  12. DLant

[​IMG]

If you didn’t grab this from Colemine. Get it. Fantastic!

Em. likes this.
  13. guidedbyvoices

Still curious about this. Any idea what the four bonus cuts are in the box? While the box looks nice I’m on the fence due to price, and I’d like to know what those four are, that’s the selling point for me on it. Otherwise I’ll stick to the plain.

DLant likes this.
  14. Batman21

amazon confirmed release day delivery so i can let you know. the box is back/still up on daptone too so you may have some time to decide.

DLant and guidedbyvoices like this.
  15. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

For me, that 12" EP and the assorted extras aren't enough to make me spring for the box. I just need to decide between the LP with download card or the CD.

DLant likes this.
  16. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

As DLant posted above, this record is crucial!
    Tapping into some Smokey Robinson vibes on the title track, and just top-class rocksteady and reggae tunes for the rest of the album.
    So good!

[​IMG]

DLant likes this.
  17. DLant

I was just playing the download in my office - excellent music!

Always love your photos too!

Em. likes this.
  18. DLant

Did you finally get your copy of the Sha La Das album?

19. Batman21

I did! Andy sent me a new one really quickly. LOVE it, side two in particular.

DLant likes this.
  20. DLant

Fantastic!

I need to play it again soon.

21. djej

djej Forum Resident

Yeah, love “What A Shame” track that was a 45.

That Nico & The Soul Chance 45 is nice, too, from Colemine.

I got the Ghost Funk Orchestra 45 arrived but I’ve not yet listened.

DLant likes this.
  22. guidedbyvoices

According to discogs, the bonus disc on the Black Velvet box has "stripped" mixes of

Strictly Reserved For You
    How Long
    Loving You Baby
    The World Is Going Up In Flames
    + message from Charles

DLant likes this.
  23. DLant

My copy should be here either this weekend or early next week and I can give you a report on what it sounds like, unless someone gets it sooner.

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  24. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Menahan Street Band; makes it feel like 1971 in my mind.

DLant likes this.
  25. Batman21

So what's everyone think of the new CB?

I'm surprised how well the the tracks all work together to make an album. A really enjoyable listen, even though half the tracks are already out there. Sound quality is that of Daptone's typical standards. I like the stripped down versions A TON. You can hear Charles very clearly and forward - every breath and gasp. I'd like more of those. The box is very nice but I'm concerned the velvet will fade, especially around the edges. The painting of Charles on the horse is...everything...and the story he tells on the inner sleeves is perfect to read while listening.

My only issue with the set, and this is super minor and nit picky, is that it doesn't seem to include the awesome cover photo featured on the regular version of the album anywhere inside. I expected it to be in the photo book or on an inner sleeve. Did I miss it?

edit to add that there has been some GREAT press out there over the last week. killer interviews with Brenneck with lots of stories and insight.

guidedbyvoices and DLant like this.