Jethro Tull - This Was and Mr. Steven Wilson *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dougb222, Sep 16, 2016.

1. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Voters choice for best album with the worst cover art...
    and the winner is:
    This Was!
    :p

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    Terry and Neonbeam like this.
  2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

It depends how much of a savings it is. If it's a substantial savings I'll definitely go with the lowest price. But to save a buck or two from a seller that uses poor packaging and has long shipping times it's not worth it IMO. I've saved a quite a bit on some titles from Amazon UK and Italy. Then it's well worth waiting.

3. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Why is that?

4. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

You know, as goofy as the album cover is, it's grown on me over the years.

Certainly funny to see these fresh-faced youngin's putting on the old man makeup in the '60s through the lens of 2018...

ParloFax, rd1 and seed_drill like this.
  5. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

$39.99 now at DeepDiscount, with 10% off promocode of COOKIES valid until 11/5 Noon CT, free shipping, with tax added depending on where you are located. That works out the cheapest for me right now but who knows if Amazon will have a pricedrop by release date.

Acoustic Warrior likes this.
  6. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

They should have a Tull reunion of sorts, reform at least with Ian & Martin, release a new album and call it This Is (or something similar) but put on young man makeup.

7. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

It was Ian's foresight. He's like Grandpa Jones or Captain Kangaroo. If you start dressing up like an oldster as a youngster, people won't notice as you age into the role.

8. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I wonder which of the dogs on the cover was the one who bit Ian. Or maybe said animal was banned from taking part.

Runicen likes this.
  9. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

Got the set just yesterday.
    Ultimate confusion :crazy::yikes::laugh::D:laughup::biglaugh::uhhuh:

Interesting to read that the bad vibes between IA and Robert PLant go back to the early days of the John Evans Band.
    I was about to post some pictures but one cannot upload pics that are not on the internet in this forum.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    Rne likes this.
  10. Daniel Falaschi

The book has a very long story (and family tree graph) on the formation of the John Evans Band, early Tull, etc.

Catbirdman and JulesRules like this.
  11. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Wow, they shipping faster in Argentina, then in US! Here release date in November 9th

12. Daniel Falaschi

Actualy I don´t know how I got the set that early. I had a pre order from Amazon.uk but then the set appeared in stock on Mercadolibre (Ebay) Argentina. Hence I canceled my amazon preorder and got the box very fast. And it is an original 100%, not a pirate copy with no book as some that have appeared for Minstrel, etc...

granata and Plan9 like this.
  13. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I've just picked up a copy on a local record store (they also had the White Album anniversary edition) in Buenos Aires. I wasn't supposed to spend money now, but it's one of my favorite Tull albums and I couldn't help it.

14. Daniel Falaschi

:righton::angel:
    You couldn´t resist the temptation my friend.

Old Zorki II and Rne like this.
  15. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

But how does it sound? ))

16. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

My copy sounds a bit shrink-wrapped. :nyah:

Silly jokes aside, I'm sure we won't be sonically let down.

JulesRules likes this.
  17. DreamTull

DreamTull Well-Known Member

still curious about the Ultimate Confusion! pls share a few words!

18. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Wonder if it’s an instrumental. Jazz, blues style I assume

19. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I'll let you know in a minute, I swear.

20. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

In Ian's words (transcribed from the book):
    This is just some silly thing we were doing in the studio. We were clearly just being stupid, plating some total jam craziness. In those days people were playing "free jazz", but it was just a complete con. There are more educated players like Ornette Coleman who went into a free jazz phase but from a much more established musical background, but were just fooling around and having a laugh. At the beginning of the tape the engineer says "take one", but I think we'd just record it and see what happened. Clearly when we listened to it we thought "what a load of bollocks" and never got as far as take two!

Catbirdman likes this.
  21. Daniel Falaschi

The faster version of Someday...sounds fresher and loose...obviously cought live in they studio, with Mick's guitar very prominent.
    I had never heard Aeroplane and Sunshine day in such good quality. Keeping in mind that both tracks are obvious products from the era, the latter sounds like a mix of the travelling riverside blues version of LZ and a George Harrison Beatles tracks with eastern flavor.

22. Daniel Falaschi

Ultimate confusion?
    The tittle says it all...just the band fooling around.
    Worse outake from the reissue series so far. I mean, Ian is so reluctant to release such kind of unfinshed tracks that I don't get how/why he approves this one. I am sure the unreleased backing tracks from TOTRR and Stand Up sound better.

Galeans likes this.
  23. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Would be hard to pirate something that's barely released, methinks!

Funniest post I've read in a while ;)

Rne likes this.
  24. Daniel Falaschi

Well, if you knew about the most stupid, expensive, inexplicable, ever-changing customs politics and regime over here, you would certainly say that the chances of finding This Was in stock a week before official release date are equal to those of the product being pirate. :confused::eek::agree:

25. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Where your copy has been manufactured?