Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 9, 2015.

1. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Thanks for the help. I did buy those three, and Darkness on the Edge of Town as well. Listening to Nebraska right now, the title track sounds stunning. The acoustic guitar sounds like I'm in the room while it Is being played. Also love the little glockenspiel sounds, they seem to stand out more. And the harmonica has a clear crisp sound to it. Nebraska was available in 24/192, and it sounds great so far. Looking forward to rediscovering these albums tonight, plus I have all those Who bonus tracks to listen to.

Add on the Dylan box tomorrow and I've got enough music to listen to this month, but still got more coming. Thanks again @Anodyne Jones and @B-Mike for letting me know how good these sound. Well Nebraska so far, but I expect the 2 Born's and Darkness to sound just as good.:righton:

B-Mike likes this.
  2. Anodyne Jones

Anodyne Jones Forum Resident

Great, very happy you are digging these.

The albums were run through the Plangent process, and I must say they sound very "analog"..the acoustic guitars are woody and streely, and the drums sound like drums, not
    cardboard boxes. One of the digital catalogs that was done right.

ccbarr likes this.
  3. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

I'm curious about the new hi-res release of Miles Davis' Sorceress and I could use some help!

HDTracks has it in both 24/44 and 24/192. I'm wondering if there are sound quality differences between the two, similar to the Van Halen releases, where the 24/96 was dynamically compressed beyond words and the 24/192 sounded like the studio tapes. I don't know why, but, for some reason, I'm getting the same feeling about this one.

To make matters more confusing, Qobuz is only selling it in 24/96 with no additional notes. Any help greatly appreciated, thanks!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  4. Centurion

Centurion Forum Resident

I found this on the DR database. No idea how it sounds though.

foobar2000 1.3.9 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Miles Davis / Sorcerer
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR11 -0.14 dB -14.29 dB 6:33 01-Prince Of Darkness
    DR11 -3.17 dB -18.75 dB 4:52 02-Pee Wee
    DR12 0.00 dB -15.76 dB 8:58 03-Masqualero
    DR11 -0.44 dB -14.86 dB 5:14 04-The Sorcerer
    DR11 0.00 dB -14.35 dB 7:22 05-Limbo
    DR11 -1.34 dB -17.16 dB 5:42 06-Vonetta
    DR11 0.00 dB -14.23 dB 1:57 07-Nothing Like You
    Number of tracks: 7
    Official DR value: DR11
    Samplerate: 192000 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 6053 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

5. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Thanks for your input, Centurion! I'm hopeful that someone will offer some ears-on, subjective impressions, especially in relation to the MFSL SACD, but, this gives me a decent indication, and your help is much appreciated!

6. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Hate asking stupid questions, but I searched and didn't really find an answer. I've loved the 4 Springsteen albums I've bought from HDTracks (the two Born's, Darkness and Nebraska) and am thinking about buying The River. But I see it is in 24/44.1. Does the HDTracks version sound much better than the CD from The Ties That Bind boxset?

Also a heads up, anyone looking to buy Who Are You from HDTracks should wait. The version I bought has a weird running order, I emailed them and they said they would look into uploading the correct version of the album.

7. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Sorry for the double post, been doing some reading and think I'll try the DSD of Cosmo's Factory from Acoustic Sounds. I see it was taken from the master by our host. Hopefully it sounds good!

James Bennett likes this.
  8. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Don't have the DR. I bought the hi rez. Some say a clear difference between the discs and the 24/192 but someone else posted there was peak limiting. I'm still evaluating.

9. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

Nothing beats the AP CCR reissues. Pity they only sell them in dsd and not wav/flac either.

I use rips from the sacd-redbook layers for network streaming. Very close compared to sacd-playback (not sure if I would hear the difference ... but streamer is in a higher price range than my oppo sacd player).

HDTracks versions of ccr are to avoid imo. AP or original cd's are the way to go.

arisinwind and ccbarr like this.
  10. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Listening to the DSD of Cosmo's Factory right now, luckily the Pono can play them. "Ramble Tamble" sounds amazing, the bass and rhythm guitar have such a great sound to them, lots of punch but not overpowering. Drums sound great as does John Fogerty's lead guitar. And this is only 1 song! Balanced Mode on the Pono adds a lot of life too.

I'm far from an expert on sound quality but this version of Cosmo's Factory is the best I've ever heard, just an amazing sound so far. Will be buying the rest of the CCR DSD downloads for sure, might have to wait a bit though with all these box sets coming out. Wish I'd known about them sooner!

PanaPlasma likes this.
  11. cordobaman

cordobaman Rich Corinthian Leather

With the proper plug-ins, foobar 2000 can convert the DSD into flac files.

marcb likes this.
  12. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

THIS WEEK on HDtracks...

Imagine Dragons - Origins
    Muse - Simulation Theory (Super Deluxe)
    Eagles - Singles & B-Sides (Remastered
    Al Green - The Hi Records Singles Collection

plus much much more...

Possibly Beatles White Album

13. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Could you please elaborate on what is so bad about them? I prefer CCR's first two albums for now and HDtracks sounds pretty good to me. I immediately heard a similar sound approach only to read that Bruce Botnick recorded them, and I'm a fan of his "sound" work with The Doors.

14. Anodyne Jones

Anodyne Jones Forum Resident

there is nothing bad about them..if the 24/192 downloads are what are being referred to. i think they are superb.

Soundslave likes this.
  15. Soundslave

Well I was definitely writing about those 192-24. All right then :) I was worried that I listen to some inferior masters and missing a lot since I didn't compare different editions of CCR albums.

16. Soundslave

Yep, just received an e-mail that it is available in Deluxe and Super Deluxe 24/96 variants :)

17. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

Still no Jimi Hendrix '50th anniversary Electric Ladyland' at hdtracks.

No sign of Moody Blues either...

Seems like labels want you to pay the full price for the boxsets.

I could rip the Moody Blues hi res files from the dvd.

Not sure about the Jimi blu-ray.

18. djcavanagh

djcavanagh Forum Resident

Does anyone know if the high-res versions of the demos and session tracks are available on the blu-ray in the super deluxe box? I assumed not given the press release but can anyone with the blu-ray confirm?

19. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I think the Blu Ray has the remix and mono mix

20. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

21. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

Blu-ray: The BEATLES (‘White Album’)

Audio Features:
    : PCM Stereo (2018 Stereo Mix)
    : DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (2018)
    : Dolby True HD 5.1 (2018)

: Mono (2018 Direct Transfer of ‘The White Album’ Original Mono Mix)

22. jfp11801

jfp11801 Forum Resident

so the 99 dollar HD tracks has everything the big box has except the 5.1 and mono and the HD tracks has the Esher and alternates in high res and box does not?

I am trying to figure out if the box set is worth it for the mono direct transfer ( I already have the 2009 mono box set)

23. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

Plus you can get 15% off through the weekend.

24. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

I had the mental debate on the HDTracks too. I too have the mono release. The difference to me was the book.

Quincy likes this.
  25. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

Is the DR different on the HDTracks vs CD's for all the extras?