Movies and their sequel that play seamlessly as one movie when joined together

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by yesstiles, Nov 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Star Trek II and Star Trek III. III begins with the Enterprise returning to Earth after the battle with Khan in II.

Encuentro likes this.
  2. Scooterpiety

Probably because everybody wanted to pretend '5' never happened. :)

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Not me! I know it's deeply flawed but I admire its ambition - it's a thought-provoking film and I much prefer it to the sappy comedy and schmaltz of "Voyage Home"!

4. Scooterpiety

I don't totally dislike 5 either, the basic idea is good, I just think it could have been better written. The climax came too quickly and was too short. The special effects were terrible, especially during the "great barrier/God" segment.
    I agree, I think 4 is overrated. It's just a bit too cute for its own good and I don't like the way the events from 3 were quickly recapped at the beginning. Everyone had been on Vulcan for several months and Saavik only then had the opportunity to tell Kirk that David died bravely? I didn't like the effects in that one either, especially the design of the alien probe.

Oatsdad likes this.
  5. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Five had potential but was stupid, in a slapstick way, with Scotty running, banging his head, etc.

It started out awful, on a planet of defectives and just got worse as it went along.

Complete with memorable dialog such as "What does God want with a starship?"

Let's just keep pretending that Five didn't exist, shall we?

6. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Nah. Much like The Motion Picture, it's got a very cool idea marred by questionable execution. We can forget the campfire sequences though. The only upside to those moments is the chemistry, forged over many years, between the leads.

Sybok and his quest for God? Classic sci-fi.

Oatsdad likes this.
  7. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Friday The 13th Part and Friday The 13th Part 2. But none of the subsequent sequels.

8. SandAndGlass

Forget row, row row your boat? Nah.

A federation starship taken over by a band of "intellectually" challenged individuals with potato guns, that we can forget about.

Not classic science fiction.

9. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

The concept is. I realize the execution of it comes off akin to the Ewoks taking on stormtroopers, and I get that.

For that justification I'll just refer you to "The Way Of Eden" :shh:

10. SandAndGlass

I would go along with that.

Very similar plot, but the TV series spent a whole lot less money making it.

From Wikipedia:

"The episode has generally been seen as one of the weakest in the show's history".

So yes, it is a lot like "Five".

But, for the sake of support of science fiction, we were able to brave some really bad ST TV shows.

I guess that must apply to the movie franchise as well. :sigh:

11. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Just speculating, but perhaps if James Doohan had not gained the extra hundred pounds, it may have been hours not months. I haven’t seen the scripts but, I remember the scene where he slaps his belly and says he will miss the Vulcan food - so it seems like the director was making some last-minute adjustments to account for Doohan’s size.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

And so good you don't even notice the time it takes to watch it.:)

13. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

Alien and Aliens.

...so good is this pair I don't even bother watching the others.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. Gysin

Gysin Forum Resident

The Robe followed by Demetrius and the Gladiators.

15. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Not even Part 3 with all those lovely before the window 3D gags?

16. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Still utterly shocking she didn't win the Oscar for editing Pulp Fiction.

Vidiot and SandAndGlass like this.
  17. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I considered that one but honestly, Pt.2 skims the highlights of the first film enough to be doing that job.

Jaws and Jaws 2?

18. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Rocky III, IV and V seem to place during the same time period, with IV and V picking up where the previous films leave off. The only problem there is the character of Rocky Jr. and his seemingly miraculous growth spurts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I don't think these 2 would work joined together.
    There is 57 years difference between the escape pod at the end of the first and the pod at the beginning of the second.

20. The 'Twilight' saga. My wife watched them on Netflix one after another last weekend. They look like they must have been made at the same time and just play like one long film. Note - I am note recommended them!

21. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

Sure they do.

At the end of Alien, Ripley's in hyper sleep in the escape pod. When Aliens begins, Ripley's STILL where we last left her - in hyper sleep. If you're watching the original cut, Ripley could have just as easily been picked up two weeks or two years after the events of Alien. The director's cut explains more of what's happened in the 57 years Ripley's been drifting in space - technological advances, her daughter's death - but Ripley's story essentially continues uninterrupted from the first movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.