Record Store Cash/Trades: Prices in Your Area?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MrSka57, Nov 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Our local indie seems to be paying/giving less cash/credit for CDs & LPs (not to menton DVD & BD).
    You're lucky to get $1/$2 respectively even for good OOP US items or UK/EU/Jpn imports.
    I could take my sealed JT Songs from the Wood set in and only get $10/$12.
    Have 'payments' dropped or risen in your neck 'o the woods? I'm curious if there are similar instances nationwide.

2. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

It's a free market, take your set somewhere else. I don't know what prices my local store pays for CDs, only that their CD sale prices are generally too high. Then again, they seem pretty clueless regarding rarity.

MrSka57 likes this.
  3. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

You sell to them wholesale and buy retail....what else is new. They don't need your stuff, you need to sell it.

MrSka57 likes this.
  4. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I casually asked a question recently of a local store, what prices they generally paid for ECM CDs. The reason why I asked was because I always see them marked $8.99 or $9.99, regardless of condition (unless really beat up). It stood to reason (to me) that if they are priced for sale at a very consistent price point (barring something really rare and/or sought-after (or beat up), obviously, which is why I used the word "generally," then they would buy them at a fairly consistent price point. But no. I got a wishy-washy BS answer of "well, I'd have to see what title specifically, because every title has a different demand for it,
    etc., etc., I guess the guy just didn't have the fortitude to say $2 or whatever lowball offer they're making.

MrSka57 likes this.
  5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I would rather throw my cds in the trash, than sell them to a store.

Musician95616, showtaper and MrSka57 like this.
  6. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I threw one away yesterday at a gas station.I gave others away for free.
    They pay .25 to a dollar although I haven`t bothered to trade in any in ages.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    MrSka57 likes this.
  7. Spanish Prisoner

Spanish Prisoner Forum Resident

Used CD prices are going lower around here, so I'm getting less for titles that I'm selling. However, I'm paying a lot less for titles that I'm buying. So, it works out fairly well.

MrSka57 likes this.
  8. Locutus67

Locutus67 Forum Resident

It's not a sellers market that is for certain. The main one is the eXchange with a number of locations in this area.
    For items that they feel will sell quickly, they might offer you 20% of the price in cash or 30% in trade. If you have them look up ebay sold listings & they can see the prices, you'll likely do better. Don't expect to go far above 40% in cash & that varies from one store to another (10 miles).
    They like to put the spin that 'the man is pushing the payouts lower' & they're on your side.
    Would I take CD's in? No way. you won't get anything unless it's a true collectible. DVD's/BR are nearly as bad this year. For vinyl, the above percentages I mentioned apply.

PhantomStranger and MrSka57 like this.
  9. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

NYC sounds expensive. I imagine they are paying a lot in rent.

MrSka57 likes this.
  10. Grey Alien

Grey Alien Forum Resident

Absolutely yes OP, going by personal experience. Getting 1/3 of what I used to a couple of years ago... it's at the stage where I'll just give whatever to an op-shop ("Goodwill") from now on.

I think retailers are really struggling at the moment, I've heard sales are ultra low/slow.

I'm in Australia.

MrSka57 likes this.
  11. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Oh yes - definitely.

MrSka57 likes this.
  12. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Just speaking for myself as a CD/SACD buyer, if I have something in mind I want to buy I'll just buy it online since it's almost certain a record store won't have it. As for just browsing CD racks to see what is there I sample music via streaming to see if I want to buy it or not, and then see the previous sentence where I'll just buy it online. The last time I actually found a CD I'd never heard of that looked interesting that I wanted to buy was many years ago in Philly.

I imagine many, many other people are the same way. So I understand to pay their bills/employees they need to buy as low as possible and try and sell them as high as they can get.

PhantomStranger and MrSka57 like this.
  13. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I've spoken to a few stores in the northeast, and expect that I'd receive 25% of anticipated sales price.

MrSka57 likes this.
  14. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Rule of thumb, taking into account wages of staff, rent, taxes etc. They cannot make any money if they spend much more than 40% of the final selling price to acquire the product. This, of course, assumes that it will sell one day. So if they would sell it at $10, they will pay $4 max for it. If they are not sure it will sell in a reasonable amount of time, they will pay much less. They need to stay in business.

MrSka57 likes this.
  15. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Locally I know of two buyers who pay 50% of their retail price. Pretty good and I bring them most of my stuff. I don't usually go to anyone else locally. But both buyers have stayed at that rate. They only buy lps though.

MrSka57 likes this.
  16. rjp

rjp Senior Member

northeast ohio is basically dominated by the 'exchange' chain of stores.

LP's - they pay around 25 cents, up to $1. rarely, if ever, more than that. sell LP's for $1 to $25 (i've see LP's that high, but i've asked and few are buying vinly, at any price more than the 25 cents)

CD's - average trade-in around $1. some a little more, some a little less. if i bring in 10 CD's for trade i'll usually get around $10.
    sell for anywhere from $3 - $10, some 'collectibles" (i think they use amazon prices) go for more.

DVD's - $1 - $5 depending on the title, again amazon is their base for pricing. sell for $1 - $20, again titles determine prices

blu-rays - just about the same as DVD's. not a lot of cheap blu-rays. usually around $3 - $20.

MrSka57 likes this.
  17. PeppersOnWax

PeppersOnWax Active Member

Hold onto your stuff. You won't get it's worth, and even with digital reigning supreme, you'll have value for "physical copies" of good things. I buy "big box" old PC games for the nostalgia factor. Some people do the same for VHS. Once everything is digital you'll have more value in these items. Real life copies will always have better long term value. It's a long hedge, but it's better to keep your stuff then sell it for a quarter then 30 years be like wtf did I do.

18. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

There's a place called Rock Shop at the local shopping mall here where I live in South NJ that pays a decent amount for LPs, CDs, tapes, etc. I brought a box of about 20 dusty, crappy CDs in that my mother-in-law gave me and got $20 for it. The guy who runs it gave me $50 for a VG condition mono Sgt. Pepper reissue once that I paid $5 for elsewhere.

MrSka57 likes this.
  19. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I would probably donate to one of my local thrift shop haunts before selling to a store. I do have a local store that would probably see the value of certain CDs though. Another store prices used CDs using Discogs data.

MrSka57 likes this.
  20. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

The DVD market appears to be in a worse place than CDs. This year stores in the UK are selling DVD boxsets for next to nothing. Boxsets that would have cost twice or three times a much just a few years ago. Charity shops are awash with them.

MrSka57 likes this.
  21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i agree, tons of DVD's for $1.

MrSka57 likes this.
  22. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

And yet I can never find the boxset I want for a decent price!! Sods law. :)

MrSka57 likes this.
  23. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Yes, that's a problem. Or you own the boxset already.

A local supermarket was doing a special offer on loyalty points, so you could basically buy the sets for half price. Not that £10 was expensive in the first place.

eddiel and MrSka57 like this.
  24. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I lived in England for years and I do miss the incredible deals I used to see there. Nothing like that really exists here.

MrSka57 likes this.
  25. DrewBdewBdew

DrewBdewBdew Well-Known Member

Everything comes back around. Look at 8-track tapes and cassettes. Physical media will always attract collectors. I consider it a time to buy while the prices are super low and there is a wide variety of stock clogging the second hand stores.

MrSka57 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.