Integrated Amps with good DACs built in - help with choices.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by zoomin, Nov 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zoomin

zoomin Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm looking to simplify things a bit and I like the look of Hegels integrated+DAC models.

There is also the Parasound HINT but I am not too sure the DAC would be to my liking.

Not looking to get up into the Simaudio price point.

What other Integrateds should I be looking at?

I actually have two places where they could potentially go - one would be needing something like the H90 or H190 while my main system might be better suited to the H360 or similar.

At least one set of pre-outs a must as I will use a sub or two in each system.

Thanks.

2. zoomin

In my main system the Integrated would be replacing a parasound P7, Schiit gumby and Adcom GFA-585 and used with Harbeth 30.1 and a JL Audio F113.

The secondary system would include Totem Tribe III on-wall speakers and a Rythmik 12" sub.

3. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

Isn't the 340i cheaper than that Hegel H360 you're considering?

4. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

Why limit your choices so much? I'd look at seperates.
    Is there a reason why it must be one box?
    DACs can be tiny and very easily hidden

5. Cyrus make fantastic amps with top Dacs. Give them a listen

Linto likes this.
  6. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Mcintosh MA 5300

7. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

I think the Hint has a pretty darn good DAC. Not saying it's better than the dedicated one I replaced it with, but it was not bad, just a little too "Digital" sounding for my tastes. It will certainly do the job until such time as you feel the need to upgrade.

punkmusick and SandAndGlass like this.
  8. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

That's Sim Audio money. For his price range, maybe Anthem.

9. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Peachtree Nova 150, $1,699.

Shown in a limited edition white. I think the must have done this for @Mazzy, they are both in the Pacific Northwest.

[​IMG]

nova150 - First of a New Generation
    Highlights
    • ESS Reference 9018K2M Sabre DAC
    • 32-Bit/384kHz PCM and 5.6MHz DSD (double-DSD) compatibility
    • New generation ICEPower amplification - 150 watts per channel
    • Extensive internal grounding
    • Designed by a world-class engineering team
    • Asynchronous USB, Coax and (2) Optical inputs
    • Asynchronous iOS input for direct digital input from Apple Lightning devices - with exclusive Peachtree DyNEC (Dynamic Noise Elimination Circuit) technology.
    • Phono (MM) input
    • Home Theater Bypass
    • Loop feature to add an external tube buffer, EQ or other processor into the signal path
    • Pre-Out for use as preamp/DAC or with subwoofer
    • Discrete, custom-designed headphone amplifier
    • Optional Wi-Fi module to be announced
    • Available in Gloss Ebony Mocha and Piano Black
    • Made in North America
    I bought my first Peachtree integrated Nova back in 2011. I upgraded to their iNova shortly thereafter.

I still use my iNova today. It acts as the central point of control for all of my systems in the listening room. It acts as the system input source selector. DAC and class "A" preamp. It is an older unit with a 65-Watt (into 8-Ohms) type A/B amplifier. I don't use the on-board power amp section on mine, preferring to use all outboard amplification.

Their products have come a long way over the past seven years and are highly rated, check out their reviews.

One of the best values in audio. I also think that the Hint is an excellent product and more expensive.

[​IMG]

10. zoomin

p
    The 100w vs. 250w is significant to me.

11. zoomin

Thanks, had not considered Cyrus.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  12. zoomin

Yes, in the secondary system I have limited space.

In the case of both systems I have to please someone who does not like the sight of cables and appreciates ease of use.

The Hegels with just two knobs on the front look pretty easy to use!

13. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I use the HINT's DAC too and I think it sounds great compared to my analog source which is pretty good.

14. zoomin

Thanks, I will look into the Peachtree products. Haven't really looked at them at all before.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. zoomin

Cyrus One HD looks very interesting for my secondary system where space is an issue.

C

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  16. mongo

mongo Senior Member

I have experience with the Hegel line.
    Really nice gear & great sounding gear.

I generally don't give such explicit advice because I don't want to be pretentious & everyone has their own preferences.
    With that said, I'm obviously going to give you explicit advice.

Someone earlier mentioned the Anthem STR Integrated.
    Designed, engineered & built in Canada.
    Just as importantly this is a phenomenal piece of gear with a killer DAC, clean power, huge functionality & ARC2 room correction.
    Don't take my word for it, cruise into Vancouver & check it out.
    I'm getting the STR Pre-Amp after Christmas.

You'll be pissed if you don't.

17. StereoFanOregon

StereoFanOregon Forum Resident

I really enjoy Peachtree products, including the nova150. But, in my experience from having it paired with the Harbeth Compact 7es3, it wasn't the best match. But, get a listen if you can and judge for yourself.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

The Harbeth's might better be served with a tube amplifier.

I use a 250-Watt amp for my front towers, which I use for stereo and HT (It does run of the iNova's preamp). I have a 1,600-Watt amp on the commercial horn loaded sub.

But for me. I have no more need for anything over 40-Watts (and mostly less). I have a fair amount of both tube and SS power. But my primary focus is on a pair of restored and upgraded vintage theater speakers, which are very efficient.

[​IMG]

When you have efficient speakers, you don't need big amps (not that they aren't fun).

[​IMG]

I was running the A7's off of this 22-Watt SET amp.

[​IMG]

But now, I find that I am liking a little 3.9-Watt Decware Mini Torii (which I happen to be listening to right at this moment).

[​IMG]

Helom and head_unit like this.
  19. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I feeble-mindedly believe I posted this elsewhere (since someone mentioned one from NAD's parent), but if anyone has nice candidates with AirPlay or better yet AirPlay2 I'm all ears.

20. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I love my Nova150. But another choice that I considered was the SimAudio ACE. I stayed with the Peachtree as it was much more powerful and half the cost. Also helps that I had had one of the older Decco65’s and always regretted a bit getting rid of it. I also had a local dealer with one that I could borrow for awhile before buying.

Another option I don’t hear offered here much would be the NAD integrateds. I’ve not had any of the bigger units, but is they are anything like my D3020, they would be winners. The D3020 is crazy good for its cost and size. Just a tad underpowered for a main system. The C388 looks very enticing!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. Helom

Helom Forum member

What about some glass bottles with a soft orange glow?

If you can get away with the heat, get an integrated tube amp and never look back. Get something like the Rogue Cronus Magnum II and pair it with a little Chi-Fi DAC that you can tuck away in a nook somewhere. I have the Topping D20 and would pit it against any built-in unit. I've owned the Parasound Halo integrated and this little $100 Topping is a better DAC. It gives up nothing to the Halo DAC, nor the Musical Fidelity V90 DAC (rated "class A" in Stereophile a couple years back) and has been perfectly reliable. I also think it bests many DACs in fluidity and low fatigue factor. I have no doubt that some of the other Chi-Fi models are just as competent.

I just recently bought a Rogue CMII for the second time. Admittedly, the first one I tried last year had a couple issues for which it was returned to the dealer. Today I took a gamble on trying another and I'm very glad I did. Both of my tube amps just walk all over the SS integrateds I've owned (Yamahas being the best). My Yamaha has the upper hand in bass depth and rendition of certain instrument tones, but not by much. It also happens to sound most tubish of any SS amp I've encountered. Still, there's no replacement for valve juice. I have speakers that are not unlike your Harbeths. They greatly benefit from tube power and a lot of it.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

I think the higher-end Yamaha integrated amps deserve to be part of this discussion. Seriously.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. Helom

Helom Forum member

They certainly do in the realm of SS amps. Though the highest level integrated that includes a built-in DAC is their A-S801, which is well below the OP's budget. Still, it is an exceptional value at it's retail price. Probably manages at least 90% the performance of the others mentioned here. There's no other I'd rather have <$1K.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

Seems like a positive thing to me.

Helom and SandAndGlass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.