Wings: Wild Life & Red Rose Speedway (Expanded Reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Oct 18, 2018.

1. l-l-d

l-l-d Forum Resident

It may be expensive, but it's actually slightly cheaper than buying the two box sets individually. At least it is in Denmark.

2. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Kicked Around No More is fantastic blue eyed soul from McCartney, and I absolutely love it! His vocal is excellent.
    In fact I would love for some soul artist to cover it! It's a great song that should have been on the album!

3. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

I am curious....besides the big box set or the 2CD set, how many people are getting the "original Red Rose Speedway" on vinyl???

[​IMG]

4. paul_is_live

paul_is_live Forum Resident

I completely appreciate this counterpoint – and your point about songs going on too long is a good one. For me, sentimentality typically wins out over efficiency in the case of "Off the Ground." It's funny, every time "Style Style" starts up, I look at the 5+ minute run time and go, "Oooh, do I want to go through it all right now?" (Funny how CDs and digital tracks have made us more aware of run times on songs ... or maybe it's just that we all suffer from attention deficit disorder more than we did 20 years ago). But I always think of that payoff when it gets to that "Come down, baby, come down child - let me love you in a different style" bit ... and I love the full band "Oh-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh"s, so I usually stick it out to get to that.

But I like the point about run times on "Wild Life" too, and I wonder if in both cases of "Wild Life" and "Off the Ground" being "band" albums, Paul had more of an inclination to let the group ride out a groove. Lots of holes in the theory if we want to start analyzing run times of all his songs throughout his career, but I wonder if the lengths of "Style Style" or "Get Out of My Way" or "Love is Strange" for that matter, are more a matter of a band just having fun and nodding along and letting things run 32 bars or more when 4 or 8 would have sufficed. For the guy who basically smashed radio air time rules with a 7+ minute single in "Hey Jude," I doubt he watched the clock much after that and while maybe it would've behooved Julian Mendelsohn to suggest edits or "Y'know, does the instrumental break have to go on that long?," history suggests that the producers that have tried to rein Paul in somewhat on those kinds of tacks seldom succeed.

The Band, Mr. Explorer and theMess like this.
  5. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

I hope for you. Us Canadians will not possibly get it for this Friday, so we'll have to live vicariously through you.
    (Note this is not a dig politically… our posties are on strike and there's no chance of it ending before Christmas, so all shipments are taking at least an extra week.)

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  6. Saul Pimon

Saul Pimon Co-hosts Nothing Is Real Beatles Podcast (Jason!)

I’m really looking forward to getting this (from a store) and also I’ll be getting the deluxe box.

7. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Thank you, that was awesome :righton:

8. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Well, then just order one for me and I'll pay you for it on Friday... :agree:

Mr. Explorer, Wingsfan2012 and l-l-d like this.
  9. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Hello Joe, I hope you're feeling better, this is a little taste, to give you and idea, of how Beware My Love goes, it's very rough, but, it'll have to do for now, ooooh....

10. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  11. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Congratulations! I'm glad to hear you were able to order the boxed set that I cancelled. Enjoy!

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  12. It’s called “Red Rose Speedway Reconstructed” and yes, I have preordered it.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  13. Ah, yes! Thanks. I guess Joe was away from the studio at the time.

14. l-l-d

l-l-d Forum Resident

Well,
    RRS deluxe box is 1500 Danish kr = $230
    WL deluxe box is 1300 Danish kroner = $200
    and the super box set (not for sale in Denmark, but in UK) is slightly cheaper at $420 (including postage)

Would gladly order one for you, but as you know, it's sold out..... :sigh:

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  15. Wingsfan2012

I think Arnie asked this a few years ago.....is "Message for Joe" officially part of the Wings canon now?

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  16. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Hence the recording of a message to him. :agree:

I have wondered [not having the SOS box] if that was related to the reason John Bonham was recruited for a version of that track... :shrug:

17. Wingsfan2012

One of my favorite outtakes of the whole Archive Collection.....the John Bonham on drums version of "Beware My Love"!

18. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Absolutely. The mega box from Music Vaultz for $360 and this vinyl set from Bull Moose for $38

19. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Was that the time he gave up marijuana? I know he says he did, and that may have done something to his voice.

omikron, theMess and Yorick like this.
  20. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

It's the only thing I'm going to buy in this round of archival releases.

21. Wingsfan2012

I am actually thinking of getting the "reconstructed vinyl version" just as a collector's item....for myself....love the cover....

But after ordering the $400.00 big box and the 2 CD version of each, this will have to wait.......

22. Wingsfan2012

Based on that info I noticed as well, I am starting to believe it is the final album mix for the released tracks just in the order they would have been if a double album.....start with "Night Out" and end with "Little Lamb Dragonfly".....

I would like to be wrong but that is my gut feeling......

Mr. Explorer and supermd like this.
  23. beatlesfan9091

beatlesfan9091 Forum Resident

It brings up an interesting question though, which is why was George so bitter towards Paul? I mean, it really doesn't seem like they fully reconciled until George was on his deathbed. I mean, I get it: You start hanging around Bob Dylan and Eric Clapton, who are treating you like equals, and then you go back to being a Beatle, where you're second fiddle to the Lennon-McCartney machine. Anyone in that situation would be frustrated. But sometimes when I see George's "woe is me" attitude, I want to just say to him "Get over it." It seems like George could really be a total jack***, but Paul (and to a lesser extent John) was always expected to walk on eggshells around him because of how (apparently) abusive he was. I mean, is there something that happened that we don't know about?

I dunno. George just...frustrates me, as a person. I want to like him, I really do.

24. I recognized plenty of songs running to long before digital. You sit there and think "maybe I should change the song" but I was either too stoned or too lazy to get up and change it.

paul_is_live likes this.
  25. I agree with you. I think that George had a VERY thin skin. John was actually more dismissive to George at times than Paul. Paul would always play on George's songs whereas John couldn't be bothered later.