Concerts you went to for the opening act, not the headliner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jparis51, Aug 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jomo48

jomo48 Forum Resident

May 29, 1970. Pentangle opening for James Taylor at Berkeley Community Theater. Excellent soundboard available.

2. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Cheap Trick and Heart over Journey. But we got there late for Cheap Trick due to a slow dinner and pouring rain on the drive. :realmad:

3. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Be Bop Deluxe

4. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I still love The Satellites last album, but three albums isn't exactly a deep catalog. I got to see them in a club show for In The Land Of Salvation and Sin.

slowhand1964 and twicks like this.
  5. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Got into the Stray Cats extremely late (I'm a weird dude) and bought tickets to see them opening for Stevie Ray Vaughan at Pine Knob in 1989. On the way into the venue they announced over the PA, "The Stray Cats will not be performing tonight." Joe Ely was their fill-in. Was bored outta my mind during SRV...just looked at the setlist and it's pretty much a treasure trove. Ah, youth and inexperience.

Finally caught the Stray Cats maybe 20 years later, and it was worth the wait.

seed_drill likes this.
  6. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I remember being totally bummed when PJ Harvey bailed out of the U2 tour and Nellie Furtado was her fill in. I mean, U2 was my primary draw, but I'd seen them before and been kind of bored, both by them and then openers, The Pixies. Fortunately, that was a better show by them.

7. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Nothing major.

The Fleshtones were opening for Robert Gordon at the 9:30 Club on a Friday night. Enjoyed the Tones' set and made it home in time for Blue Bloods.

I have not doubt Robert Gordon would have been good and he had Glen Matlock with him. But hey, I got a good nights sleep and had a productive Saturday.

mrogers likes this.
  8. Ludger

Ludger ISthisALLreal, ISthisALLnecessary, ORisTHISaJOKE?

The Cross (Roger Taylor's 2nd band) opening for Magnum (he had produced one of their albums, hence the connection). We left after the encore and then drove from Düsseldorf to Essen to see Alice Cooper (missing the support act - don't remember who - and the first one or two Alice songs). Great fun night, way back in 1991!

9. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

In their prime , the Fleshtones were a tough act to follow , mission impossible

Jack Lord likes this.
  10. Paul b

Paul b Forum Resident

Was a huge Grin fan and often went to see them as an opening act. Never saw a note of those terrible headlining and sometimes second-billed bands. I specifically recall leaving before Slade and Black Oak Arkansas.

11. AleYeah

AleYeah Forum Resident

Those must have been some pretty expensive Sugarcubes tickets!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  12. AleYeah

AleYeah Forum Resident

I’m road tripping to Athens for a show tomorrow evening. Every time I go down, I can’t help but think of what it would be like to travel back in time and see REM there in ‘83-‘84.

Jimbo912 and The Elephant Man like this.
  13. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I went to see Braniac open for Jesus Lizard. Left half way through Jesus Lizard. I like the band, just not that much.

14. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

That ‘71 show with the Faces would have been something special to see.

15. seacliffe301

I saw Grace Potter & the Nocturnals open for someone, can’t remember who, a solo male artist, right before she hit that big commercial period. We went specifically to see her, and left about 3 or 4 songs into the headliner. Not that he was bad, it was just anti climatic after her show.

16. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Not much of a Guns N Roses fan......but a friend talked me into going because The Cult was opening.

17. seacliffe301

That same year Yes opened for ELP in Detroit.
    That’s not to say Yes were better however.

18. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Are you talking about the 1987 tour? The Cult headlined those shows with Guns N' Roses opening.

19. seacliffe301

Saw Steely Dan open for Beck Bogart & Appice in ‘73. Now I’ve always been a huge Beck fan, but that line up IMO was his weakest. Steely Dan on the other hand put on a hell of a good set.

ralphb likes this.
  20. Bruso

Bruso Designated survivor

1976 Hot Tuna opened for Santana in Chicago.

We were fans of both but went for HFT. Back a few years in California this double bill would not have been so remarkable. In 1976, Tuna was in electric trio mode and Santana had just embarked on their 2nd popular phase. The audience was somewhat split between rabid Tuna fans and Santana fans, many looking appalled at the Tuna performance and reception. A good time was had by us :edthumbs:

21. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

No......2016.

22. Bruso

Bruso Designated survivor

...and another Chicago show from a year or 2 earlier. I post this for the Montrose fans that sat behind us at a Lou Reed concert.

We went to see headliner Lou. Montrose with Sammy Hagar on vocals opened. Before the show started, we were talking to a few guys there for Montrose. “Montrose is great!” One of them couldn’t believe we drove 2 hours to see Lou Reed. They were very enthusiastic with a lot of “Montrose!!” and “Montrose, man!!” And Montrose and Hagar were great. Things got quieter after that. I think they left when Montrose did.

23. Jimbo912

Jimbo912 Forum Resident

I saw the same tour in the fall of 1982(I think)but was there to see The Beat

The Elephant Man likes this.
  24. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

I went to see the great Deerhoof, but they had to open for some group called Radiohead.

Jimbo912 likes this.
  25. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Jane’s bailed on Philadelphia. Local Ha-core punks The Dead Milkmen opened the show.

A 12/13 year old girl sat next to me and my date. The girl’s mom sat apparently bored by the whole Milkmen schtick. Iggy hits the stage and they swap it laces and energy. Mom was really into Iggy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.