Japanese film recommendations please

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Todber, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

After years of waiting for an English friendly version of Mamoru Oshi's 1985 masterpiece Angel's Egg, I picked up the unsubbed Japanese Blu Ray. I'm a little bit obessed with this film, having owned the Japanese DVD (also unsubbed), a subtitled bootleg DVD, the original soundtrack on vinyl and a book of the storyboard. Angel's Egg is one of the pinnacles of anime, and possibly Oshi's most personal work. It runs just 71 minutes, and what it all means is very much open to interpretation, but it's one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen. There are multiple rips of it on Youtube too.

[​IMG]

LA2019 and PhantomStranger like this.
  2. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Are these subtitled or dubbed?

3. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Subtitled.

razerx likes this.
  4. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Is there is Blu-ray for Carmen Comes Home (カルメン故郷に帰る) with English subtitles? I see the Japanese one from 2012 but it is without English subtitles.

There's this page from Filmstruck:

https://www.filmstruck.com/us/watch/detail/1300003153?cid=ppc_adwords_A200_A203_A020403

which seems to imply that there's a Criterion version, but I don't see it on their webpage. Does Filmstruck stream movies under the Criterion name that don't have a physical release? I'm not subscribed to their service so I'm not sure how it works. Or perhaps it will be released on disc in the near future?

5. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

I thought that one or both of those 4K restorations had been shown during the recent Mizoguchi retrospective at the Cinémathèque Française, but it appears that Chikamatsu inexplicably wasn't screened at what was otherwise a fairly exhaustive survey of his work, and I can't find a mention anywhere of whether Sansho was the restored version or not. Perhaps it was the Venice screenings that I'm remembering having read about when they took place.

6. stepeanut

Biennale Cinema 2017 | Kenji Mizoguchi - Chikamatsu Monogatari (A Story from Chikamatsu)

Biennale Cinema 2017 | Kenji Mizoguchi - Sanshō dayū (Sansho the Bailiff)

Dave Garrett likes this.
  7. stepeanut

Zatoichi: Darkness Is His Ally (1989):

[​IMG]

This is the new Tokyo Shock BD of the 26th and final Zatoichi film in the original series. I only received it today, and haven’t watched it through yet, but I did a quick A/B comparison with my old Arrowdrome DVD, and I’m pleased to see a noticeable upgrade in video quality over that release.

Bruce Racket and PhantomStranger like this.
  8. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

I've been waiting for this one hoping it to be picked up by Criterion to finish off their set. At least I'll have the disk.

Thanks for the heads up, Stepeanut!

stepeanut likes this.
  9. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

My Blu ray of Teruo Ishii's Horrors of Malformed Men arrived yesterday. I've only seen this on a grubby VHS years ago so I can't wait.

[​IMG]

Roninblues and yasujiro like this.
  10. stepeanut

Bloody Spear at Mount Fuji (1955):

[​IMG]

yasujiro and Halfwit like this.
  11. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

^ Superb film

stepeanut likes this.
  12. stepeanut

Shame the A/V quality isn’t great. Arrow generally do excellent work, so I presume that, in this instance, the master provided to them wasn’t up to snuff. That’s so often the way with Japanese film studios. As the reviewer says, at least we have this on BD.

13. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

14. stepeanut

yasujiro likes this.
  15. In the Realm of the Senses

LA2019 likes this.
  16. PhilJol

PhilJol Forum Resident

Sweet Bean is a terrific little movie and she was very good. RIP

stepeanut likes this.
  17. Frog River (2002)

18. stepeanut

yasujiro and PhantomStranger like this.
  19. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

It is the oldest Ninja film that is survived.

20. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

21. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

22. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

These days I'm mostly feeling burned out on Zombie films. The few exceptions have come from Japan: Sabu's 2013 Miss Zombie was a strangely moving slow burner, 2016's I am a Hero, based off a manga, was more action packed, and I preferred it to the same year's Korean effort Train to Busan. Most impressive out the lot is this year's One Shot of the Dead, about a film crew shotting a Zombie film which gets overrun by real zombies. Made on a tiny budget, it's the funniest film I've seen in ages, and it helps if you know little or nothing about it going in. Distributed in the UK & Ireland by Third Window Films, so there will almost certainly be a DVD/ Blu Ray release in the pipeline. Great stuff!

Bruce Racket likes this.
  23. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

The Arrow set seems now available at 50% off sale at B&N.
    Seijun Suzuki's The Taisho Trilogy

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  24. stepeanut

Received the new Criterion edition of Chikamatsu Monogatari today:

[​IMG]