Finished Deadwood, Lost, Mad Men.. What's next?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Jan 2, 2014.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Thx !!!!
    There's a few there for me to ponder on. Don't like law/court room story lines.
    So Goliath is out( then again I could be surprised, Billy Bob).Also not keen on American sports.
    The Path I want to see, Aaron Paul deserves his own BB spinoff series.

DVDs No region 2 >>>The Path, Mr. Mercedes. Or Goliath, Castle Rock & The Mayans.
    ...Rescue Me ( doable)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  2. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Rescue Me makes my top 5 'NYC-centric' tv shows! By this I mean a show where the city itself is practically a character in it. The show's premise is so strongly rooted in 9/11 that it's practically impossible not to be moved by it. Outstanding television!

3. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

.....AND, even though it could be deadly serious, Rescue Me is laugh out loud funny, one of the great 'dramedies'! And what a theme song! I'm hearing it in my head as I type. That's it, time to break out the box set!;)

4. alexpop

Think I'll have to watch a few more shows before returning to this thread. :D

5. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

From what I've read, I'd strongly recommend the 1st seasons of Orphan Black & Rescue Me, great stuff! I'd be surprised if yr not completely hooked by the end of the 1st episodes! Do you belong to a library? You've mentioned yr limited to DVD, the library is a favorite source of mine.

alexpop likes this.
  6. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Actually, anyone who loves Breaking Bad, and seeking another Great Show with an Anti-Hero should make 'Ozark' their first priority to watch.

alexpop likes this.
  7. alexpop

If there's ever a region 2 DVD I'll get it.

8. TheSeldomSeenKid

The price of Netflix for 1 month is less than even 1 Season on BluRay/DVD of most Current TV Drama Shows.

alexpop likes this.
  9. alexpop

Sorry. Mentioned earlier don't do Netflix.

10. TheSeldomSeenKid

I missed that post as jumped in and out of this thread at different parts.

alexpop likes this.
  11. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Amazing

alexpop likes this.
  12. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Last month Starz ran the last season of Black Sails so I watched it (again!). Such a great show and a true beauty to look at!

Tokyo Ghost and kanakaris like this.
  13. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Damages gets forgotten nowadays. It should be mentioned along with Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Wire, and The Sopranos when the top shows of the peak TV era are discussed. Glen Close and the others used to clean up at the Emmys for this show.

14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Me too. I do not stream/etc anything. I don't have the new gear nor will I ever use a PC to watch things.

alexpop likes this.
  15. alexpop

Find it relaxing to view a film DVD/Blu Ray on my 55"plasma. Best to discover a oldish series get the complete box and binge watch you get really into the characters did that with LOST,BB, Banshee...loads of others.

16. alexpop

Jamestown (2017) is not very good. Though not aye aye captain, pirate related. Set in America 1619.

17. alexpop

Hate returning then. But in the dark ages/old days the library was a great solace for discovering literature.

18. alexpop

They're my top four tv shows. I'll look out for Damages.

Brenald79 likes this.
  19. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

"Well now cousin Johnny" (a quote often repeated by Walton Goggins in this show), I finished my 2nd go through of Justified. I already recommended it a couple times in this thread but gotta say the the final season was even better than I remembered and the last episode was a tremendous wrapup. I think the conclusion for this show rivals the well thought-out/done ones like Breaking Bad or The Shield. Quite a thrilling showdown but I can't say anymore. This one without a doubt has my favorite final "conversation" scene btw, which occurs as a kind of an epilogue and further character wrap up I guess.

Seeing how this got to run until its creative conclusion makes me even more angry how Deadwood was ended b4 Milch got to close that show. Although that makes me even more eager to see what happens if that Deadwood movie followup which was supposed to start shooting now ever comes to be.

20. alexpop

Don't think they'll be able to encapsulate all the fiery expletives in a 2 hour movie. :D

slipkid likes this.
  21. alexpop

About to give up during the first season, glad I stuck on for the swashbuckling ride, aye.

kanakaris likes this.
  22. alexpop

Got The Vikings season 5 pt 1.
    Bit underwhelmed Jonathan Rhys Meyers was involved but didn't deliver, battle scenes best thing about that season, oh and nice scenery.

Also )..Thought I'd try Mr. Robot season one, American Psycho meets Dexter. Not a keeper.

23. I really like Mind-Hunters on Netflix but there is only 1 season.
    Sopranos seems too obvious to mention.

alexpop likes this.
  24. alexpop

The Sopranos..a keeper!!!

25. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

A show that doesn't get any love around here, but definitely should; Gomorrah! It's returning for it's 3rd season in a few weeks and I can't wait! Gomorrah is a crime drama set in Naples Italy. Originally written by life-long resident Roberto Saviano, his book caused deep ripples within the Italian govt due to the explicit nature of what he exposed. A city completely taken over and run by its criminal element. The book originally generated a critically acclaimed movie and than they decided to do a series. Roberto Saviano is currently a wanted man by the Italian mob with a huge bounty on his head. Other shows are often compared to the Wire, (not by me!). IMO, this show deserves the compliment. it's got that reality-based rawness, it reeks of authenticity! It's got that street feel of the Wire coupled with the passion of the Italian mobsters. The drawback is the show's in Italian with sub-titles. Don't miss out on a great thing because of this. The show's an international monsta hit, immensely popular overseas,. In Italy, it gets higher ratings than Game Of Thrones! Currently, the movie AND the series are available thru Netflix with the new season happening on Audience. Can't wait, there's been a delay getting this latest season ready but it obviously already aired ovetseas (to very high acclaim!), been waiting for months! They've already begun work on the next season, but that's a long ways off! Once you establish your 'flow', and get familiar with the actors, you barely notice that yr reading the dialog. Great show!

fabre and AveryKG like this.