Rami Malek is Freddie Mercury in "Bohemian Rhapsody"*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Sep 5, 2017.

1. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

I found it fitting that Mike Myers was in it. It was because of him that Queens popularity grew in the 90's.

2. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

Wrangler jeans too.

I thought to myself why don't they have Freddie's jeans in their line up.
    Well they have a Bohemian Rhapsody Collection now, as of a couple of days ago.

I'm another that liked the film and thinks Rami deserves an Oscar nomination :thumbsup:

3. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

That movie only temporarily reminded people of them again in the US. It didn’t make much odds to the rest of the world. Their last albums were going platinum worldwide. Made in heaven (1995) went multi platinum in various countries expect for the US where it only went Gold (hence I said temporarily).
    If their popularity grew (made in Heaven sold extremely well) it was because of Fredies death.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  4. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

they all looked pretty good to me ! also I saw an interview with the actor and May and they both sounded very alike !

Chris DeVoe and GodShifter like this.
  5. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I didn't think Malek looked that much like Freddie Mercury. He was too small, and too bug eyed. The guy who played Roger Taylor didn't look right either. But I don't think they could've got May and Deacon any more right.

Szeppelin75 and Steve M. like this.
  6. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

And yet, there is only 2cm height difference between Rami and Fred. Maybe Fred looked more imposing on stage, but I have stood next to him and he was just an average size 5'10 kinda guy. The fact that I was trying not to be totally starstruck is the only difference! hehe

7. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I meant in general, not in height. Malek was a bit too skinny.

[​IMG]

Steve M. likes this.
  8. clashcityrocker

clashcityrocker Forum Resident

Was really on the fence wanting to see this. I really despise most bio flicks and checking out this thread kinda meh. Watched a youtube clip pointing out the historical inaccuracies and yeah waste of time but it got me to their Live-Aid performance and something changed. Reading the comments you realized people were led there after seeing the film. It had me in tears as people were profoundly moved by the film and the concert was such a crucial part of the film. I went last night and I was in tears too. I loved it and recommend it to anyone who loves music. It is a celebration of a true artist's life made even better by Malek's performance.

For two hours you are transfixed to the screen. Yes inaccuracies abound, timelines change etc. but it just works as a super positive and life affirming entertainment kinda like music does for us. Malek really becomes Mercury, the evidence is end credits of the movie when they shop a clip of the real Queen and you think that doesn't look like Freddie. Anyone cynical about this I just feel sorry for, I hope my review will make the fence sitters get off their butt and go see it.

9. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

You can't undo all those years of seeing Freddie Mercury with someone else playing him for a couple of hours. The end credits looked like Freddie to me because it was Freddie Mercury. Malek played the part well, although he didn't have the "I don't give a s**t" attitude that Freddie had, and he was written / played a bit too serious and sentimental. But at no point did I actually think that was Freddie. Malek has massive bug eyes that Freddie didn't have. That's not to say it wasn't an entertaining film or no one should go see it. It's worth seeing for sure.

10. Exactly my experience. It was better than I thought it would be and I to teared up.

11. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

You are aware Malek isn't Freddie Mercury, right? Perhaps a hologram would have done it for you? :laugh:

12. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

So me saying that Malek doesn't look that much like Mercury (for the reasons mentioned), means in your mind that you have to reply with an unnecessary, snarky comment.

Sacha Baron Cohen looked much more like Mercury. Though, that's just a comment on the looks of the actor, not whether he should've played him or not.

Steve M. likes this.
  13. Steve M.

Steve M. Forum Resident

I don't think that Rami Malek looks like Freddie. You're aware that just because someone thinks that, it doesn't mean they're not aware that Malek isn't Mercury, right? :laugh:

Sammy Banderas, KAJ1971 and Sondek like this.
  14. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

What clip do they show during the credits?

I always loved that they did something similar in the Tina Turner biopic back in the '90s...sort of an acknowledgement of, "This is a fine imitation but we would be remiss if we didn't show you the actual force of nature at work."

Sammy Banderas, Runicen and Steve M. like this.
  15. noname74

Exactly...it's a dramatization not a documentary. Some people don't seem to get that...nobody can look exactly like the person they are portraying in a dramatization.

16. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

"Some people" see things in a very black and white way.

I totally get it, and I also get that it's perfectly fine to voice my view that I don't think Malek looks like Mercury.
    Clashcityrocker already mentioned "when they shop a clip of the real Queen and you think that doesn't look like Freddie", except it is the real Freddie Mercury at the end.
    So if you think about it logically, what Clashcityrocker is really saying there is that Malek and Freddie Mercury don't look alike.

Anyway, please, quit with the straw man.

Steve M. likes this.
  17. noname74

:-popcorn:

eddiel likes this.
  18. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Been listening to early Queen again since seeing the movie, everything from Queen II through Jazz. I've also been buying some of the live shows on Blu-ray and DVD. Really enjoying Sheer Heart Attack which I never really appreciated back in the day and today is the anniversary of it's release in 1974.

andrewskyDE and Steve M. like this.
  19. Steve M.

Steve M. Forum Resident

You're late to the party. The people you're talking about here have been saying it's not a documentary all along.

Lost In The Flood and Sondek like this.
  20. Steve M.

Steve M. Forum Resident

Just curious, why from Queen II and not their debut?

Runicen likes this.
  21. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Still have not gotten into that one. Yet. Perhaps it's time to give it another shot? Queen II was a hard sell for me so I've been mostly force feeding myself that one and SHA.

22. Steve M.

Steve M. Forum Resident

Queen and Queen II took a while for me to get, but it was so worth it when they did fall into place.

23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

More Lou Reed/Malek.

Sondek likes this.
  24. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Yes. And he looked more like Jagger at some points too.

alexpop likes this.
  25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Mr. Reed

Sondek likes this.