The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

and again

Duke Ellington Treasury Shows vol. 8

[​IMG]

Moebius, Mirror Image, xybert and 7 others like this.
  2. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Last night before and during sleep

[​IMG]

Early this morning while waking...

[​IMG]

3. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Soul Note SN 121118-2) 1987 .... recorded September 16th, 1986 @ The Village Vanguard, New York .... Charlie Rouse (ts, fl) + Woody Shaw (tp, flh) + Mal Waldron (p) + Reggie Workman (b) + Ed Blackwell (dr) .... Mal Waldron`s long collaboration with Reggie Workman + Ed Blackwell in the 80`s bears lasting fruits and both Charlie Rouse + Woody Shaw contribute sustainably to a recording which stands for the best (released in that particular decade) ...

4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Looks vaguely familiar, but which album is this? A bit of info would be nice :)

5. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Bill Evans/Jim Hall-Undercurrents

Fastnbulbous likes this.
  6. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Soul Note SN 121185-2) 1988 .... recorded July 31st,1987 @ Barigozzi Studio Milano, Italy .... Steve Lacy (ss) + Jean-Jacques Avenel (b) + Oliver Johnson (dr) .... Steve Lacy was usually magnificent independently of the setting, but (to me) he blossomed in particular via the sparse b + dr structure .... can`t stop marveling (done this here before several times ....) about the stupendous technique and musicality of Jean-Jacques Avenel - I was lucky enough to see him perforn in concert several times and will treasure these impressions forever .... btw this is a S-U-P-E-R-B album ....

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Ah yes, of course. As I said it looked vaguely familiar. Only vaguely, as I don't have the album.

8. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Blue Mitchell - Blue Soul
    Riverside (1959)
    UCCO-9365

Trumpet – Blue Mitchell
    Piano – Wynton Kelly
    Tenor Saxophone – Jimmy Heath
    Trombone – Curtis Fuller
    Bass – Sam Jones
    Drums – Philly Joe Jones

[​IMG]

9. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

JACKIE MCLEAN / IT'S TIME / BLUE NOTE / 1964 / US FIRST MONO PRESSING BN 4179 LP

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Blue Note King Record Japan GXK 8120) 1979 .... recorded on December 11th, 1960 .... to me one of the rather unsung Blue Note gems .... Hank Mobley + Freddie Hubbard fit together perfectly (as they already did on Mobley`s Blue Note date for "Roll Call" recorded a few weeks earlier on November 13th, 1960) and Kenny Drew puts on display his considerable talents both as pianist and composer .... it took me some time to appreciate the intrinsic qualities - but obviously old(er) mills grind slowly ....

11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

One of my favourite Blue Notes from that era, and an excellent Japanese pressing.

12. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Roy Hargrove presents The RH Factor - HardGroove

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I have never really listened to Hargrove however I listened to a few clips and like what I hear so I am going to fix that and delve into his catalog.

fingerpoppin likes this.
  14. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

This session is a bit of a departure for him. He was primarily a hard bop player, a protégé of Wynton Marsalis and regarded as one of the "Young Lions" in the 1990's.

Go Raptors!

noname74 likes this.
  15. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

[​IMG]

Booker Ervin's That's It! Candid CD from '61 with George Tucker, Al Harewood & Horace Parlan.

He's become one of my favorite tenor players at this point & I'm planning on getting all of his recordings. If you like tenor players and don't have any Booker Ervin, treat yourself and snag some. He's amazing - very expressive and unique. This album is a smoker!

16. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Blue Note Universal Music Japan UCCQ-5059 SHM-CD) 2015 .... recorded October 2nd, 1963 @ Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey (the "Andrew Hill session") .... Hank Mobley (ts) + Lee Morgan (tp) + Andrew Hill (p) + John Ore (b) + Philly Joe Jones (dr) .... another rather neglected Blue Note release aka Hank Mobley leader date - probably due to the fact that the original vinyl (and subsequent vinyl releases) featured tracks from two different sessions .... later CD editions finally disclosed all tracks from the session with Andrew Hill on piano - and what a beauty these are ....

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  17. Myke Reid

Myke Reid Forum Resident

Do yourself a favor and check out Hargrove's 'Habana.'

fingerpoppin, Erik B. and noname74 like this.
  18. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Lou Donaldson - Mr. Shing-A-Ling
    Blue Note (1967)
    TOCJ-4271
    BN Works 4200 Series

Alto Saxophone – Lou Donaldson
    Trumpet – Blue Mitchell
    Guitar – Jimmy "Fats" Ponder
    Organ – Lonnie Smith
    Drums – Leo Morris

[​IMG]

19. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Tonight's commuting music:
    [​IMG]
    Problems at home lately, haven't had much of an urge to listen to music. Agharta is enough to perk me up, though...I swear, come hell or high water, one o' these days I will learn that incredibly funky bass lick Michael Henderson starts playing about eighteen minutes into the "Prelude" section:D

20. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Blue Note "Blue Note Connoisseur Series" US Press CDP 7243 8 28978 2 8) 1994 .... recorded January 15th, 1961 @ Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey .... rounding off my re-listening of rather unheralded Blue Note classics with this platter aptly featuring superb - but comparatively unsung - Kenny Dorham as leader .... this is great music in pin point execution ....

xybert, vanhooserd, Marzz and 12 others like this.
  21. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In Sweden
    1958 - 60 - Stan Getz (Dragon) 2CD

with various musicians
    Benny Bailey (trumpet), Ake Persson (trombone), Stan Getz / Erik Norstrom / Bjarne Nerem (tenor sax), Lars Gullin (baritone sax), Ian Johannson / Bengt Hallberg (piano), Gunnar Johnson / Ray Brown / Torbjorn Hultcrantz / Georg Riedel (bass), William Schiopffe / Sune Spangberg / Joe Harris (drums)

A great mix of studio, concert and radio performances.

I'm only hearing these two discs for the first time and am impressed with the quality (and quantity) of all the recordings. The package includes a 16 page booklet.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    jay.dee, Marzz, Robitjazz and 8 others like this.
  22. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

xybert, vanhooserd, Marzz and 17 others like this.
  23. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Prestige New Jazz Universal Japan UCCO-5390 SHM-CD) 2013 .... recorded May 27th, 1960, New York .... Oliver Nelson (ts, as) + Eric Dolphy (as, b-cl) + Richard Williams (tp) + Richard Wyands (p) + George Duvivier (b) + Roy Haynes (dr) .... Oliver Nelson holds his own versus Eric Dolphy and the George Duvivier + Roy Haynes groove ist priceless .... spectacular sound via this japanese SHM-CD series released in 2013/early 2014 - what a pity they didn`t reissue the complete catalogue ....

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    Marzz, Jazzicalit, Berthold and 8 others like this.
  24. [​IMG]

Jazz In Paris | Art Blakey 1958 Paris Olympia (Gitanes/EmArcy) CD
    with
    Lee Morgan (trumpet), Benny Golson (tenor sax), Bobby Timmons (piano), Jymie Merritt (double bass), Art Blakey (drums)

Reissue of Fontana LP 680 202 plus 2 tracks from Fontana EP 460 642.

CD & 8 page French/English booklet presented in gate-fold digipak.

24 bit CD remaster by Alexis Frenkel and Christophe Henault.

25. Voltaire

Voltaire Forum Resident