KISS - your dream line-up?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bataclan2002, Nov 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now. Thread Starter

I considered posting a poll and asking fans to pick their dream lineup of KISS. Pure fantasy, pick any four members living or dead, make-up era or non. But then I thought was it was too easy - I know most would say the originals - Gene, Paul, Ace and Peter. But I know so many people loved Eric and he is often considered a better drummer than Peter. Is the Mark II line-up then the ultimate KISS?
    It's an odd thing, this lineup of Gene, Paul, Ace and Eric only made one record together - The Elder. You can cheat and include Unmasked before it (same era but Eric doesn't play) and Creatures after (Ace plays some?), but in reality it's a brief and underappreciated lineup. Perhaps the nadir of KISS' popularity overall and they were getting zero recognition and fan base was dwindling.
    For me, Mark II may be the absolute best at least in potential. in reality, it's a dark, troubled and very brief period in the band's history.

Just for fun, what's your dream KISS line-up?

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  2. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Paul- Gene- Ace- Carr

I feel like they had more to accomplish if only Ace had his act together.

3. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I'd pick the Elder lineup, but to be honest probably wouldn't have if you hadn't put the idea in my head. I would have picked the original lineup.

unclesalty and mark winstanley like this.
  4. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

It will always be "the originals" for me when I first think "Kiss". It's just ingrained that way from the iconic makeup designs alone. Yet, as you said, I view all of them as part of the Kiss family. I like each member for different reasons and for what they contributed to the band through the years.

GodShifter and Rhett like this.
  5. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Took the words right out of my mouth.

unclesalty and mark winstanley like this.
  6. michiganman45

michiganman45 Forum Resident

The originals.

I think people underestimate the impact Peter's drumming and vocals had on their 1970's sound.

moops, rswitzer, BadJack and 7 others like this.
  7. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

8. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

There is only one line up for me, and this is it.

moops, vinylontubes and Pinknik like this.
  9. bartels76

Obviously that was my second choice but the reason I didn't pick it because I think they did as much as they could as a foursome. Aside from appearing for one last show, I think they squeezed as much as they could out of this lineup with the huge reunion tour. Especially with the Psycho Circus album, the creative chemistry wasn't there as the Ace and Peter combo got really bad. Paul even talked about in his book when Singer rejoined and Ace was still in the band that everything was gelling really well.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  10. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I am torn between Peter and Eric, both great at what they did. I would have liked Ace to chill about the Elder album and recommit to the band... the four new tracks on Killers were pretty good I thought and as was said up the top of the thread, that line up could really have made some pretty special music if they could have survived the birth pains of BIG fame.
    I still personally really like The Elder though, sometimes it's my favourite.

11. 905

905 Senior Member

The originals, but second place dream line up-

Paul
    Gene
    Bruce
    Eric Carr

coffeetime likes this.
  12. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds Forum Resident

Paul, Gene, Ace and Anton Fig.

13. bartels76

So you want Paul Gene Carr and Bob Kulick? :D

14. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

They recorded those four tracks with Kulick? ... I thought that what was what they had down before they went with Ezrin on The Elder Idea?

nah. Bob was great, but I always struggled with Kiss to a degree after Ace left

15. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I would've loved to hear The Elder lineup make a traditional Kiss album. I really like Creatures, but will always wonder what it would've sounded like with Ace.

16. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

The original lineup is the only one for me.

moops likes this.
  17. If I Can Dream_23

I know some who would just as soon choose the "clone lineup" in "Kiss Meets The Phantom Of The Park". So there's probably no bad answers here. :laugh:

18. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

This is probably the version of the band with the most wasted potential. Those Unmasked shows are unreal...

Personally I'd have loved to hear what a Singer/Vincent combo could have come up with, when Paul still had a voice to pull it off too.

bartels76 likes this.
  19. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I'd have paid good money to see that line-up. I guess the Paul Stanley solo band circa 1989 is the closest we got.

20. bartels76

Where they dub their lines just like Paul does now.

21. loudinny

loudinny Forum Resident

:cool:Don’t get the fascination with this band I was into Kiss Alive at age 14, by age 15 and I didn’t care.

Still have the vinyl maybe ill give it a spin, who knows maybe at 57 it’ll grow on me again!

bartels76 and If I Can Dream_23 like this.
  22. If I Can Dream_23

While Ace is Ace, there was also a charm to "Paul, Gene, Peter, Bob Kulick". Especially in 1977, on side four of a very memorable double live album. :D

moops likes this.
  23. If I Can Dream_23

Yes, exactly. I suspect that clone band has surpassed the real band by now. :p

24. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Yep

25. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

That was my reasoning, the original four reach it’s full potential, the Frehley-Carr lineup did not.

bartels76 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.