Was Houses of the Holy a step down in quality after 4?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Morfmusic, Nov 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I don't think of any Zeppelin songs as being particularly danceable, but in terms of riffs, this song is one of the tops.

2. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Beautifully said.

I always felt those two albums are indeed somewhat "sister records", despite being years apart and a bit different thematically. As you said, I always found it refreshing when Page went "slightly bright" or lush with the production. Those two records stand out, sonically, as adventurous counterparts to the more "earthy" or raw aspects of albums like II, IV or Graffiti.

I'm also one who actually likes Plant's manipulated vocals on Houses. It benefits the material. Especially something like the worldly opening track. I like that it was an artistic decision and something a bit different. I never fault bands for that. Granted, some may not have liked it as well, but Zeppelin never made albums by formula or past blueprints. It's why their music still remains so fresh.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  3. zen

zen Senior Member

We also did a "Zeppelin medley" (of their most famous riffs) which went on for 8 minutes and the dance floor was hopping!

4. RandelPink

RandelPink The camel wore a nightie

I'll never understand the negative vibes towards The Crunge, love that track! Where's that confounded bridge?

5. Dopey

Dopey Well-Known Member

a tiny step down

6. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

I love it too. It's very pure Zeppelin actually - meaning that it shows them being open to putting their own twist on all or any influences. It's a funky, fun and tongue in cheek track. Nothing more, nothing less. I think that even trying to "evaluate it" implies some type of false seriousness about it that misses the whole point. It's intended as a "throwaway" so to speak.

Then again, I'm the same guy who also thinks "Hot Dog" is one of the greatest things they ever did for much the same reason. So it shows you what I know. :)

7. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

I think it’s a leap forwards.
    From this point on the sound somehow became heavier with more of a groove. I also prefer Plant’s shot vocals over his earlier contributions.

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  8. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

No Quarter just may be the best track that Led Zeppelin recorded. :agree:

9. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

leap forward for me
    No Quarter - Mysterious
    Rain Song - captivating melodies
    The Song Remains the Same - epic driving
    Dyer Maker, Dancing Days - playfulness
    Over The Hills and Far Away - light/shade magic
    The Ocean, The Crunge - Funk

This or Physical Graffiti are my fave

Where's that confounded bridge?

10. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

It’s a much better step down than Goats Head Soup or Draw the Line, that’s for sure...

GrayMouser and uzn007 like this.
  11. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

No, HOTH is better. -E

12. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Plants vocals

heavy over helium

me too

funny they sped a few vocals up to compensate here

13. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

What I have always found amazing is the way that IV seemed to be the almighty crescendo summit of that first series of albums. How could they follow that?
    Well they did and brilliantly with such a rich and varied album. I see it as a kind of new chapter of Zep, bringing in reggae, funk while still delivering epic masterpices like New Quarter, Rain Song and the title track. Yet another 5 star album.

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  14. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Led Zeppelin 4 is 4 for 8 when it comes to good songs. Houses Of The Holy is 7 for 8. So no, not a step down.

Mike Reynolds and RandelPink like this.
  15. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Nope.

uzn007 likes this.
  16. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds Forum Resident

I don't think Houses Of The Holy was a step down from IV in terms of the number of quality songs on the album.

I do, however, think the album sounds on the thin side compared to IV. Its too mid tone-y throughout. Not a lot of dynamic range. That's been my only gripe about the album since I first played it 40+ years ago.

I actually like more songs on HotH than IV. I just wish the album had a better tone. I don't hate the album because if it, but it does keep me from playing it as much as the other albums in their catalogue.

I think an interesting discussion might be which album has better sound production; III or HotH.

gpalz likes this.
  17. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

Yes, but it's not a disappointment. It isn't a perfect masterpiece like IV is, but it's full of songs that are great in their own right.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  18. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I see every Zeppelin album as its own thing. They're all pretty unique stylistically. And I value them all equally.

19. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Yes, it was a step down. Still an excellent album, but a slight down-tick.

20. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

IV
    II
    Physical Graffiti
    III
    I
    Houses of The Holy
    Presence
    In Through The Out Door

21. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

“Hot Dog” could have been one of their greatest songs if Page could have played it like his 1970 style! I’m really surprised that he let it out as sloppily, half a$$ed played as it is. It’s a cool heavy rockabilly song- a recognition of then current punk urgency and Zep’s own roots.

22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Houses is my fave too. Then III.

Sondek likes this.
  23. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Why do some folks dislike The Crunge so much? I don't see a problem with that track at all.

24. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Absolutely not! Why? (That "D'yer Make'r" would be exhibit A was to be expected but I absolutely love that song. And the squeaking bass pedal on "The Ocean" is also very nice)

RhodyDave125 and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  25. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

The original Wicker Man - not the US remake, yes.
    Houses Of The Holy is a Holy Mother of an album, from beginning to finish, and when Over The Hills And Far Away kicks in, it's the first track that let's me know that is this is a serious record. Much tighter and more gripping than anything on IV. (Even The Crunge). But I could do without D'yer Maker. Sounds like something that was recorded for IV.

Btw, my 1980's vinyl reissue had zero surface noise during Rain Song.

Houses Of The Holy. Holy Moly. Listening to a needledrop of the incredible Classic Records 45.
    LOVE that squeak of the pedal on The Ocean!
    The last line on the album, of Robert saying, 'Oh, so good," sums it up. He was right. It is.
    The whole album is propulsive, tight and gripping.

DHamilton, Man at C&A and Hatfield74 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.