50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

Is it me or there's some weird reverb on Yer Blues, at least on the voice. The track somehow lost its grit and teeth :(

Helter Skelter, very end has a saxophone sound that wasn't there before...

Maybe Giles does these little bits to troll the S&S Brigade :evil:

tinnox likes this.
  2. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

You disn’t answer my question about the compression you seem to have noticed...

evilpants and tinnox like this.
  3. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Yes, same here but still a bit tense until it crosses the line and leaves the warehouse! Always used to be 21:00 but now has moved back a couple of hours. Mind you I have never had a delivery near to the witching hour or perhaps that should be the 'twitching hour'! ;)

tinnox likes this.
  4. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I’m hearing bits in the remix I never heard before. Couldn’t they do a radical remix that was faithful to the original?

(Just kidding ;) )

5. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

I am more impressed than I thought I would be. Tracks are compressed about to the same degree as the Pepper remix, but no clipping, no brickwalling. The sound quality of the Esher demos is pretty amazing given what we've been living with. After hearing the demo of Sour Milk Sea I can't imagine why the Beatles didn't grab it up. Circles has a hypnotic quality, really beautiful. An outtake of While My Guitar Gently Weeps features just acoustic guitar and an amateurishly played organ, I can't imagine who's playing it as George is on guitar and Paul was a better keyboardist than that. John perhaps? I love the sparseness of the vocal, guitar and drums version of Dear Prudence. Let it Be is fun to hear as a funky jam, I would never have imagined it being played that way.

6. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

No doubt, there is some nepotism involved in Giles Martin's status, as the Beatles go to guy for all the projects.

BUT, no question either that he's highly qualified, loyal to the brand & the surviving Beatles & the widows want him there.

Giles has worked on both McCartney's & Harrison projects in recent years as well. I think ( think ) he might've worked in some smaller capacity, on a Lennon project. Or two. Father George did. So ya know, Apple wants their guy in the studio, to be a loyal member of the family, as well as skilled musically & technically. It has to be somebody all 4 Beatles board members approve. Maybe Paul Hicks & Dhani Harrison are on deck, as the next set of ears, 5-10 years down the road.

tinnox likes this.
  7. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

Happy to say that my box is arriving tomorrow, but it's sad to think that this thread is coming to an end soon :cry:

8. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Not heard the remix but is the "Yer Blues" vocal more like it is on the mono mix? I prefer that to the untreated vocal in the original stereo mix.

tinnox and Gila like this.
  9. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

haha, so true..
    that mean mr mayo guy on youtube for sure.

John Bliss, Pretty.Odd. and tinnox like this.
  10. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

It's not a criticism, just my feeble attempt at humour... :wave:

tinnox likes this.
  11. Just listened to the "HIAWG" remix for the first time - have to say that the right-panned drums definitely bother me here - lessening their impact and detracting from an otherwise nice mix. Pretty sure they were still tracking the entire kit to a single track at this time, so Giles & Co. didn't have the luxury of centering the kick and snare and panning the cymbals and toms as is normally done with modern stereo mixes, but it's a drag just the same...

tinnox likes this.
  12. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

Yer Blues vocal has the delay effect that's on the previous stereo version, so I think you'd like it.

John Bliss and tinnox like this.
  13. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

Ok, so those "leaked" mp3s are from some kinda garbage stream.

Anyway, the pepper compression was allready pretty dreadfull. They "didn't learn" a 100€ + set doesn't need ipod-generation compression, but on the other hand "at least they didn't make it even worse". Hm...

I guess the hi-res tracks are the exact same as usual ?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    tinnox likes this.
  14. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Arrived this morning from Bull Moose. An embarrassment of riches. These boxes are things of beauty. The 4 lp box is so beautiful I may need to buy a second copy. Thank you Fabs. And now, some Patron on the rocks, a filled bowl, and a weekend of Fabs, Dylan, Tull and Kinks boxes. Do not disturb!

15. Bonzodog

Bonzodog Forum Resident

Sometimes I just wish there was a 'really really like' button :)

16. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Hey, how does the package of the Esher Demos vinyl set look? Some rare pictures in the gatefold or/and inner sleeves?

John Bliss, forthlin and tinnox like this.
  17. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

I've heard many people say there's zero interest in the WA box on SHF. Sad!

tinnox likes this.
  18. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

Just got confirmation from my local shop that my order is in!
    picking up tomorrow.
    very excited.

[​IMG]

19. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

The remixed version has been released as singles already

tinnox likes this.
  20. hidlive

hidlive made you look

aha! now i see. i forgot Giles made a mix of the WA in 2017.

tinnox and Lownote30 like this.
  21. JSE

JSE New Member

First time I've posted here, but reading this forum over the last few weeks has helped with the long long wait - so thank you all for the comments, no matter if wonderful or bizarre that have made the wait much easier. Hope all of those of you who, like me, have only heard the odd preview, enjoy what comes tomorrow!!

22. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

While we wait for our box sets, here's a hi-res photo from the Mad Day Out that I found online a while back:
    [​IMG]

23. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

Well, its lame to try to to convince yourself and others on here that the new box set sucks because you cant afford it based on your current financial situation.

24. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Every Beatles recording has the drums on just one track (sometimes shared with other instruments) except 'The End' on Abbey Road. There's some quite appealing leakage on very early recordings and the 'Let it Be' stuff.

thrivingonariff, tinnox and Gila like this.
  25. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

If I thought I had any chance of not looking ridiculous in it I'd be buying one of these suits;

Beatles Julia Tailored Blazer | Pretty Green

tinnox and Yayastone like this.