Bauhaus 40th Anniversary Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by breakingglass, Sep 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Punk

Not quite chronological: the sublime Crowds from 1980 is the final track, as it was years later on Crackle. Somebody has good closing track taste in Bauland. It’s their Bewlay Brothers... :)

Danilo, Neonbeam and Veni Vidi Vici like this.
  2. BlueSpeedway

They’re not that hard to find in the UK but like a lot of stuff they’ve become expensive very quickly. Only a few years ago in London you could get them for £3 - £5 each in good playing copy condition. Nowadays you’re talking £15 - £20 minimum.

The Sky’s Gone Out is very common in the UK, the album was a big hit, entered the national charts at #4 in 1982 on the back of their Ziggy hit and live reputation (the initial pressing included Press the Eject live as a freebie and sold out in a flash, but even the swift, single LP 1982 repress is common too)

Neonbeam likes this.
  3. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Not too surprising that their LPs are easier to find in the UK. I haven't seen good quality Bauhaus vinyl for $10 or less here since the 1990s! Sky's Gone Out and Burning From the Inside were even issued in the US on A&M, and copies of those are no easier to find here nowadays than UK imports.

patient_ot likes this.
  4. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Unless I missed the news.... like they really don’t want to reissue The Sky’s gone out....

5. BlueSpeedway

Yeah, I think they were only on the fringe of any success in the US and even that was only during their final months as a band. David J said A&M had plans to turn the band into the next Human League but they were having none of that, and then split up anyway! So I doubt the A&M albums sold much? Whereas in the UK, although they had few actual hit singles, Bauhaus were a big alternative band, with strong album sales and successful tours, so there’s always been quite a few copies of their records around. Tones on Tail and early David J not so much - those EPs were a nightmare to find even in the mid 1980s UK when they weren’t long ago released. They sold so little, despite their excellence, they were nowhere around.

6. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Bauhaus is definitely not too hard to find in Europe. But I guess we need to get used to the fact (again) that labels are reissuing stuff that is out of print and/ or in demand. Not everybody's a digger. Some people actually like new stuff that they can buy free and easy in a record store.

And there are reissues and reissues. Personally I don't see the point in buying standard/ very common stuff with blurry artwork and botched remastering. But: There are actually some very nice reissues. And some of them even coming from a digital source.

And this is why I bought the new "Mask". I still can get an original. If I feel so inclinded. There are many reissues I bought even though I already had an original.

To get back on topic: Could anybody explain the artwork of "Flat Field" and "Mask" to me? I mean... what exactly is going on there? A portait of the artist by Daniel Ash? A still from a silent movie?

7. BlueSpeedway

All I know about the artwork is David J bought the postcard featured on the front of Field in Paris, before he was in Bauhaus IIRC.

The Mask drawing was done by Daniel during the sessions for the album, and IIRC it was Peter who saw it lying around the studio and said let’s have it for the sleeve.

Neonbeam likes this.
  8. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Peter Murphy was on Steve Jones' (Sex Pistols guitarist) radio show here in LA last month, and he was so much more fun and affable that I would've imagined him to be.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  9. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

10. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

I bought a Mint Vinyl, near Mint sleeve of the limited 79-83 compilation about 5 months ago... Cost me £35 plus shipping. that's the limited numbered edition. The records had never been played, the record was ex-record store stock. Brilliant record.

I love a lot of the reissues, but i just can't see the point of mastering analogue tapes to digital and then f**king around with the compression, and eq to balance out the lows and highs. The records were perfect how they were originally so why mess with them and make them worse? The Beatles remasters were excellent, the Bowie ones too.... I've heard bad reports about the Bauhaus remasters, but I've taken the plunge.

I've pre-ordered the Bela sessions on White vinyl purely because I want Bela Lugosi's Dead. I used to have the original 12" but i sold it years ago, and have regretted it ever since. Buying an original on Discogs is expensive so it's been cheaper for me to buy the reissue to replace my long gone original. I do have the original mix as an electronic file so may be able to A/B test them.

11. dumaisaudio

dumaisaudio Forum Resident

I can confirm my copy is faulty and mono. The beginning of Double Dare is a dead give away. I'm hoping I can return it to the store I got it from, but most shops won't take returns even if it's faulty.

NSzeven likes this.
  12. BlueSpeedway

How odd, I guess USA versions must be at fault, but not European ones? I got mine on release date, so it must be a first European pressing, and it's fine.

Surely you must be entitled to a refund dumais, as it's a major fault and the record is unusable?

13. Kyle Mooney

Kyle Mooney Kwisatz Haderach

I just checked my ITFF and it seems to be mono also. Ordered it from Arkive. Just sent them an email enquiring about a refund. Another copy of ITFF was just shipped to my wife for her own collection from Arkive, hope her copy is fine.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  14. dumaisaudio

I spoke with my shop, they can do a refund. I have heard of shops having trouble getting credits for store returns, but maybe that's with more minor things like warps. The US/EU thing makes sense, the label likely already knows about the issue. Hopefully they'll just do black vinyl on the repress, this brown thing looks bad and has nothing to do with the color scheme of the album and art.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  15. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

So does this mean there are two different cuts for ITFF? A European one and one done in the US? What is in the US deadwax?

16. dumaisaudio

US Version Deadwax:
    Side A - CAD2901 138945E1/1
    Side B - CAD2901 138945E2/B

Looking at Discogs, this is also what is listed there under the European edition, but maybe that is a mistake?

I can confirm by doing a quick recording sample of both sides that it is indeed mono all around, not just a side A/B thing.

17. Pavol Stromcek

Wow, that's really bad. And ITFF in mono would be instantly apparent because of the hard left/right panning of most of the instruments in "Double Dare."

18. Kyle Mooney

Arkive\Matador got back to me within minutes. They are sending a return label and refunding my payment. Very pleased with the quick turn around. But now how do i get a good copy?

19. Pavol Stromcek

Have you contacted 4AD?

20. Kyle Mooney

The supplier contacted me about my refund for the mono ITFF and stated:
    "Actually, if you want to wait until next week we're getting some UK copies pressed correctly"
    So I said "Yes please!" I'll exchange for a corrected UK copy.
    It would seem to imply that the defective pressings are US only and the UK pressing are fine.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  21. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

So is the colored vinyl of ITFF on amazon right now the incorrect pressing?

22. Kyle Mooney

I can't speak to that since I did not buy my copy from Amazon.

23. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Well, at least amazon's easy return/exchange.

NSzeven likes this.
  24. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

Is there really a separate US/UK pressing? Everything I'm seeing is claiming to be pressed at GZ.

25. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

ITFF just showed up from amazon, and yup, this one is mono as well.
    Was this intentional? Nowhere on the package does is say "stereo", but then it doesn't say "mono" either.
    I'm gonna see about a straight return, as it seems that every copy in the US is gonna be like this.
    What a mess!

NSzeven likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.