Caravan on CD help please

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fishoutofwater, Nov 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

This is more about the stereo mix versus the mono mix. Mono mix destroys the sometimes odd stereo mix.

2. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It's great, but unfortunately it was only (officially...) released in low-bitrate lossy Dolby audio.

3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

ohhh :confused:

4. olegrayman

olegrayman Senior Member

I used to have early Japanese Deram CD. While it sounded alright, the missing cord (I can’t remember which song though, but probably Nine Feet Underground) was driving me nuts. While Byrne’s remaster isn’t bad, he moved midrange forward which results in sibilance not present on UK Deram LP. However, this very well could be my Oppo DAC for all I know. I never compared other albums though. I do like Canterbury Tales: The Best of Caravan compilation on CD and this is my go to version if I want to hear Caravan on CD.

leonafonte likes this.
  5. Fishoutofwater

Fishoutofwater Forum Resident Thread Starter

What would i do without you. Thanks. Are you French or like me , a Brit living here in France?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  6. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I'm French, born and raised in Southwestern France. :wave:

mark winstanley likes this.
  7. Fishoutofwater

Your English is very good. I live in the Charente Maritime, about an hour inland frome La Rochelle. You are the first French person i have "met" that enjoys Hi Fi and music. There are not many Hi Fi stores near me!! Thanks for all your input x

Plan9 and mark winstanley like this.
  8. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Have to admit I didn't give the cd mono much attention because I thought it was a dedicated mix.

9. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

It is a dedicated mix.

And it is far superior to the stereo mix, IMO.

10. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

I have enjoyed the sound of the remasters, particularly Waterloo Lily.

leonafonte and Fishoutofwater like this.
  11. Fishoutofwater

Having just received this album i am enjoying both the mono and stereo mix. It is nice to have both

Plan9 likes this.
  12. rpc_2_uk

rpc_2_uk Forum Resident

If you haven't heard it yet, check out the live version of For Richard from Fairfield Halls. It first appeared on the vinly version of Canterbury Tales (the CD release had the studio version). Later popped up on CD as a bonus track on the remastered "Cunning Stunts" album and then again when Live At Fairfield Halls was officially released on CD (I think there was also a french release of this concert on vinyl)

The addition of Geoff Richardson on viola works really well on this track - especially the intro.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  13. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I have the chance to know a few Hifi enthusiasts and many many music fans (but then again I work in audio). :) There are more than a couple Hifi stores around here! I guess Toulouse is kind of an exception though. We have the highest concentration of music stores per inhabitant, after Paris. As for my English, I studied English litterature and have done some translation work.
    There are also a few other French members on this forum. :)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    Fishoutofwater likes this.
  14. Fishoutofwater

Waterloo Lily arrived today. A superb album. Much more jazzy than their previous stuff but i really like it. Caravan were indeed a great band and maybe underated. Going to have a Caravan day.

yesstiles and Remington Steele like this.
  15. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack Forum Resident

I bought "In the Land of Grey and Pink". It was advertised as the original Deram CD from 1989. But it is new and I'm not seeing the same matrix numbers (no "Made in W. Germany").

I think it must be this one: Caravan - In The Land Of Grey And Pink

It has the same logo from Universal and "Sony DADC".

What do you think? Original mastering or what? Discogs says it is a remaster and a repress: "2010's Sony DADC repress".

16. The dvd content only, not the 2 cd content, correct?

17. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

I have he following version (Made in Germany by EDC) which is also a repress:
    Caravan - In The Land Of Grey And Pink
    EAC peak levels are: 100.0 / 90.2 / 78.6 / 87.1 / 98.5. I would be very surprised if yours is different.

18. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes.

19. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The 2001 remaster has bonus tracks. If yours doesn't, it is probably the original mastering.
    Although it would be weird to repress an older mastering post 2001.

20. Dok

Dok Senior Member

yesstiles likes this.
  21. 303 Squadron

303 Squadron Forum Resident

I listened to 2002 remaster of "If I Could..." today. A decent sounding CD.

leonafonte and Man at C&A like this.
  22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

a little off-topic, sorry.

i have been seeing quite a few used caravan CD's lately, and there used to be very little, if any, in the past.

did they do a re-issue series to cause these to start showing up?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.