50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

I think that might be wrong, the bridge in I Will features split double tracked vocals on the 2018 remix, whereas the original stereo mix has both vocals centered.

2. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

:biglaugh:

Lewisboogie and tinnox like this.
  3. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I tried to keep listening to HE1NZ because of the Ringo connection, but I am going to have to put him on ignore and make him a has-bean.

4. HardTimesRoughLines

HardTimesRoughLines She learned me life is sweet and God is good

Holy cra, eh, yola! The bass on "Ob-la-di Ob-la-da" :love:

Xmas came early this year. Stop complaining, bitching about Paul or Giles, listen , enjoy and turn it up, boys. It is a blast if you let it (be).

Best regards,

HTRL

5. MAMTP2018

MAMTP2018 Forum Resident

I must say i just listens to the remix and it’s very average. If I was calling balls and strikes I would say this is a strike. I did some comparisons of the 2009 remasters to this remix and some of the songs sound worse and are missing the punch. Julia? Bottom end is missing. Blackbird? Paul’s Tap is to low. Helter Skelter? Barley different. Doesn’t have the punch of the 2009 version. There are some songs that sound only slightly better, dear prudence for one. But overall I give the edge to the original. With pepper remix it was so obvious the new mix was better, so much so that I deleted the original. I was expecting the same from the white album. Sadly this remix falls far short of what it should have been. Perhaps Giles is fatigued? This mix could have been a lot better. A huge strike on this. However the Esher Demos sound fantastic. But they really missed the boat on this once in a life time remix

Gila and tinnox like this.
  6. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I didn't really understand your ball and strike terminology. From the pitcher's standpoint, a strike is a good thing, a ball is a bad thing. A strike is a perfect pitch, right down the strike zone. From the batter's, a strike is bad, but a ball is meh.

Wouldn't "swing and a miss" more accurately describe what you are trying to say? And then perhaps "a home run" for a great job on a remixed song, a single for one that only slightly better, etc. (Not that I necessarily agree with your assessments).

7. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

MUCH better DR numbers than Sgt Pepper :righton::righton::righton:

Album details - Dynamic Range Database

foobar2000 1.3.14 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2018-11-07 18:46:57

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: The Beatles / White Album
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR12 -0.22 dB -13.89 dB 2:41 01-Back In The U.S.S.R.
    DR13 -0.54 dB -15.05 dB 3:56 02-Dear Prudence
    DR11 -0.20 dB -13.81 dB 2:18 03-Glass Onion
    DR13 -0.22 dB -13.77 dB 3:09 04-Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
    DR14 -0.22 dB -17.52 dB 0:54 05-Wild Honey Pie
    DR12 -0.42 dB -14.13 dB 3:14 06-The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill
    DR11 -0.22 dB -12.91 dB 4:45 07-While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    DR12 -0.11 dB -13.83 dB 2:45 08-Happiness Is A Warm Gun
    DR14 -0.22 dB -15.98 dB 2:29 09-Martha My Dear
    DR12 -0.19 dB -15.65 dB 2:03 10-I'm So Tired
    DR13 -4.00 dB -19.16 dB 2:18 11-Blackbird
    DR11 -1.62 dB -14.63 dB 2:05 12-Piggies
    DR12 -0.40 dB -15.71 dB 3:33 13-Rocky Raccoon
    DR12 -0.22 dB -13.32 dB 3:50 14-Don't Pass Me By
    DR11 -0.22 dB -13.19 dB 1:42 15-Why don't we do it in the road?
    DR12 -1.87 dB -15.72 dB 1:46 16-I Will
    DR10 -3.50 dB -15.97 dB 2:55 17-Julia
    DR11 -0.12 dB -12.40 dB 2:44 01-Birthday
    DR11 -0.12 dB -14.03 dB 4:02 02-Yer Blues
    DR13 -1.94 dB -18.60 dB 2:47 03-Mother Nature's Son
    DR10 -0.11 dB -12.07 dB 2:25 04-Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
    DR12 -0.31 dB -13.48 dB 3:16 05-Sexy Sadie
    DR9 -1.12 dB -12.27 dB 4:30 06-Helter Skelter
    DR10 -0.12 dB -14.65 dB 3:07 07-Long, Long, Long
    DR10 -0.07 dB -12.16 dB 4:15 08-Revolution I
    DR12 -0.09 dB -14.91 dB 2:41 09-Honey Pie
    DR11 -0.15 dB -12.91 dB 2:55 10-Savoy Truffle
    DR12 -0.12 dB -14.21 dB 3:01 11-Cry Baby Cry
    DR10 -1.72 dB -16.25 dB 8:22 12-Revolution 9
    DR10 -2.62 dB -15.53 dB 3:14 13-Good Night

Number of tracks: 30
    Official DR value: DR12

Samplerate: 96000 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 2859 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

8. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

That track was a huge upgrade! :agree:

9. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

GREAT question. Amazon seems to be playing things close to their chest with Autorips for new releases these days, not throwing up the Autorip logo until after a release, and sometimes not providing an Autorip for weeks or months after the release.

tinnox likes this.
  10. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

With the Sgt. Pepper box, I recompiled all the session out-takes onto a couple of CD-Rs so as to incorporate all of the previously released alternate takes and mixes from Anthology, giving me one set of discs with all the relevant Pepper material. I don't suppose somewhere in this thread someone has drawn up a list of all the newly released White Album session material with the Anthology stuff added in, have they? (I'm guessing some White Album stuff, like Across The Universe from Let It Be Naked should be factored in, too...)

johnny moondog 909, Royce and tinnox like this.
  11. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

Nothing below DR10 except Helter Skelter in 24/96? :edthumbs:

ODIrony and tinnox like this.
  12. Rupert_Bear

Rupert_Bear Forum Resident

I think Giles has done a fantastic job! Just listened to Piggies and I can't believe how much cleaner it sounds. The original intro sounds like it had tape damage but now it sounds so clean. I'm disc one in and the only real negative I have is the missing clap on Ob La Di but otherwise I'm very happy!! Don't Pass Me By doesn't sound particularly punchy but then the original mix was lacking in that department.

The biggest thing I am taking away from this is just how amazing these recordings were. All the extra snares, percussion and production elements are just genius! The original Beatles crew really were the dream team!!

13. rickboy

rickboy Forum Resident

USPS will bring my box tomorrow. very excited. What is the source Giles used? I know this was covered 850 pages ago was it 2009 remaster? Thanks.

tinnox likes this.
  14. HardTimesRoughLines

HardTimesRoughLines She learned me life is sweet and God is good

Yep. Always found that one (very) minor McCartney and I'm a real Maccahead, but this listen was incredibly enjoyable.

Also: the various strings on "Martha My Dear" are so clear and easily separated from each other. In fact that whole arrangement is suddenly breathing.

And Ringo's pretty great on this record, I must say :winkgrin:

Best regards,

HTRL

15. Mr. Pleasant

Mr. Pleasant Forum Resident

Damned shame that the blu-ray can't be purchased separately. It would have been an instant buy for me but I'm not willing to pay the $200 for the deluxe box to get it.

I hate it when record companies structure their packages this way.

Starwanderer, tinnox and tspit74 like this.
  16. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Amazon UK finally dispatched at just before midnight. Twitching stopped at the witching hour. Expectation has now set in. One more sleep and then we are all set.

17. Hmmm...I don't see your gear posted on your profile page, per forum rules, so I don't have a point of reference for how you're listening.

The only reason I bring this up is because every single version of this album that I have (about 12 or so) is all treble heavy, unbalanced, with varying degrees of SQ quality from one track to another.

I've only heard one song from the set on my system, but at least it was very listenable and compelling: "Back in the USSR." A tad bassy, but much better than having the whole song up top.

John Bliss, rickboy and tinnox like this.
  18. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Actually I think someone did post a list...but I didn't save it. Long, long ago. Not sure how to search for that one.

ODIrony, Lewisboogie and tinnox like this.
  19. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Interesting that Revolution 9, which is NOT remixed, comes in at DR9. That's a tad loud.
    EL DORADO!
    THEY ARE STANDING STILL!

and then you become NAKED!

Still, much better than Pepper 50.

20. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

The remaining claps fade out - kinda weird.

Gila and tinnox like this.
  21. DumbMagician

DumbMagician Forum Resident

Just finished the main album. Standout bit: the grunty piggies on Piggies kinda startled me thru the headphones.

I dunno, it’s fine, I definitely don’t need to buy it as I’ve got the recent mono reissue, but it’s not a desecration or anything. Also listening just now reminded me how I dislike almost everything Macca does on here, whereas even Lennon’s more throwaway contributions are enjoyable. Now for four hours of demos and outtakes!

aintgotnoclock, ODIrony and tinnox like this.
  22. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I take everything back bad I ever said about Giles Martin.
    This remix is amazing. I am fully enjoying it.
    I am glad I got to hear the vinyl first. This is so much better than the Pepper remix. The remix actually SUITS the music.
    I can't wait for Abbey Road now!

23. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

It's great that the Blu-ray version is unlimited, different experience from the CD, it adds value to the deluxe set.

24. MaccaBeatles

MaccaBeatles Forum Resident

Yer entitled to your opinions and that, but I couldn't disagree more! I absolutely need the new stereo remix, and I find many of McCartney's original songs + outtakes very enjoyable. The mix of both their songwriting styles as well as George's is what makes the whole sprawling album so enticing for me. Take 17 of Helter Skelter and Hey Jude take 1 might be my favourite things on the sessions discs listening so far..

25. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I think everybody's given up on separating the two threads! Too much excitement! :D