Bluesound with external DAC

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ChuckyBuck, Nov 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChuckyBuck

ChuckyBuck Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello. I'm thinking about purchasing a Bluesound Vault 2i to use with my Gungnir Multibit, probably using the spdif coax output. I'm currently using a Allo DigiOne for SPDIF and I don't expect the Vault to sound as good as the DigiOne necessarily but I wouldn't want it to be too inferior either. Does anyone have much experience using the Bluesound with an external DAC? These kinds of things were much easier back when bits were bits.

"Why Bluesound?" you ask - there are so many devices out there these days. The main thing is I want something with good, mature software that I don't have to pay extra for. It seems to me that Bluesound should be pretty far down the software development path by now. And I'm leaning towards the Vault because I like the idea of easily ripping a new CD without having to pull out my computer, rip, then transfer to where the files belong. Seems like a pretty nice setup to me - but I'm interested in your thoughts too.

Thanks.

Tim 2 and Monty12 like this.
  2. mdelrossi

mdelrossi Forum Resident

Love my Node2. Output to Schiit Bifrost multibit. Sounds great, especially with Tidal.
    Audio Sensibility digital coax.

rodentdog and ChuckyBuck like this.
  3. ChuckyBuck

Do you use a USB drive with the Node2? I've already got most my music on a thumb drive.

4. Ezd

Ezd Forum Resident

I have used a Node2 for about a year and I like it... I usually rotate 16 GB thumb drives with what I am in the mood to listen to.
    I think the built-in DAC is fine, but I did buy a Line Magnetic 502 tube DAC, that was an improvement to my ears.. It got even better when installing vintage tubes.
    Bluesound's customer service has always been responsive when I had a question...
    I would not hesitate to purchase from the company again.

Monty12 and ChuckyBuck like this.
  5. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

I use my Node2 with my Gumby. Noticed an immediate positive upgrade to the sound.I do not know how the Node2i compares as it is the newer model and is supposed to be an upgrade. I use the coax connection. Since the Node2 now serves as a streamer, it has little influence on the playback. I am completely happy with the setup.

6. ChuckyBuck

Thanks for this, RiCat. And no problems with the "buy better gear" light on the Gumby? I'm a little worried because I have a current model NAD CD player that lightes up the bbg and I know Bluesound and NAD are related.

Paying the $700 premium for the Vault is probably something I should rethink. Thanks to all for the responses.

7. ChuckyBuck

Is it easy to manage files on USB attached storage across the network (from a Mac especially)? My experience trying to work with files attached to Linux devices across a network is not good. I hope that BlueOS has that all worked out. I have a nice little tag editor on my mac and it would be sweet to be able to work with files while they reside on the Node/Vault.

8. jdsher

jdsher Forum Resident

I have a powernode 2 at my office that I stream Tidal with. I setup a USB connected SSD on my desktop and shared it on the network to play through the Bluesound. Once I figured out how to set it up (excellent customer service at Bluesound), it works great with the Bluos software on my desktop.
    Jon

9. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

I use a Gungnir DS with my Vault2. Sounds great. Thinking about upgrading to Gumby.

10. Nesto719

Nesto719 Active Member

I think the built in dac on the node2i sounds pretty good in its own

Monty12, Wasabi and ChuckyBuck like this.
  11. Wasabi

Wasabi Forum Resident

I’ve been happy with the built in DAC on my Node 2 too but I’m curious of other DAC advice that would be worth upgrading.

Monty12 likes this.
  12. Wasabi

Wasabi Forum Resident

Have you had a chance to compare the 2i to the 2? On paper the DACs are the same but I’ve read some that the 2i sounds better?

Nesto719 likes this.
  13. Doug Walton

Doug Walton Forum Resident

You can just plug a USB SSD or non-SSD directly into the back of the Node 2. BluOS will see the device as "USB", and then let you browse thru the content and choose/listen to it, including of course any hi-res stuff that's there. I have mine streaming into the back of an external DAC - that works really well, and I like the BluOS UI just fine.

Wasabi likes this.
  14. ChuckyBuck

Thanks, Doug. Can you access the USB files via Finder (mac) or File Explorer (windows)?

15. mdelrossi

mdelrossi Forum Resident

I use a NAS via ethernet. works just fine.

16. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

I have 2TB USB harddrive plugged into my Asus router. Asus setup for shared harddrive directories. Wifi to Node 2. Node 2 to Benchmark DAC1. Love the Node 2. All runs gapless. I do all FLAC.

Monty12 and Wasabi like this.
  17. Doug Walton

Doug Walton Forum Resident

I have no idea.

ChuckyBuck likes this.
  18. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

From what I read the new Nodes have reconfigured internal component layout, brought about by a new WiFi section and other changes. Much has been written about the importance of the internal positioning of devices and boards in all gear. It matters and influences how the product sounds. So as described the Node changes may definitely have improved the sound. Only a side by side could prove this in any given system. Well that is my opinion any way that only comparing in the system being used is the way to know. That said, my Gumby is right at home and never tells me to buy better gear. As an aside I went from a Logitech Squeezebox>Node2>Gungnir>Multibit upgrade. So I have had a progression of comparisons. My impressions have been: The moveto the Node2 gave a very modest improvement in sound and was close to the Logitech but way better in interface and the ability to eliminate the computer from the audio chain (implemented a NAS at the same time); the basic Gungnir was a very obvious change for the better in every way I judge the music; going to the Gumby form also involved a new motherboard as the factory found issues after the upgrades to DAC and USB boards. So I ended up with essentially a new DAC (props to Schiit for their customer service). The sound is the best to date. Extremely musical and open, well defined sound stage and instrument locations and an improve bass definition and impact. I strongly suggest the use of a NAS for storage and file source location. The vault is a great idea if this is not practical for you. If an external DAC is planned the Node becomes a streamer with no added sound of its' own. If you can it is always best to audition in your home in your system. I bought mine from Best Buy-Magnolia. They have a no questions return policy and I was able to audition against a borrowed Oppo and a Cambridge Audio streamer DAC. I kept the Node2. GL as you are on the way to a very enjoyable musical experience.

ChuckyBuck likes this.
  19. Nesto719

Nesto719 Active Member

I haven’t had a chance to a/b but I have compared to othe dacs , and I feel the 2i holds its own especially for the cost . I do like how the node2i sends out a mqa signal tojuse for outboard dac though , but mqa is a whole different topic

Wasabi likes this.
  20. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

BlueSound is clear in their instructions as to how to deal with MQA and an external DAC. Below is their exact quote regarding the issue. Hope it clarifies.
    "
    Bluesound Players are a full MQA playback solution. They will decode and render MQA playback up to 24/192. If however you are connecting an external DAC, the maximum output will be 24/96 and MQA processing is not happening in the DAC.

If you have an external DAC that is certified by MQA, you may bypass Bluesound's MQA rendering process in the Bluesound NODE 2 or VAULT 2 and send the pure untouched music bits directly via TOSLink Optical or Digital COAX output for processing by your external DAC.

• In the Player Selection Drawer, press the Settings icon next to the selected NODE 2 or VAULT 2
    • From the Audio Settings page, set Tone Controls to Off
    • Set Audio output levels to Fixed
    • MQA External DAC will no longer be grayed out, set this to Yes
    • Close Audio Settings
    The Bluesound NODE 2 and VAULT 2 will now bypass MQA processing."

21. Smogmonster

Smogmonster New Member

I recently purchased the BlueSound Vault 2i. I love the idea of mass storage and streaming. The build quality is good and the piece is quite easy to use with the app installed on both android and Apple devices.

The vault replaced my beloved Bryston BCD-1. The Bryston had a very good dac on board and the listening experience was fluid and non-fatiguing with nice separation, resolution and sound stage.

Enter the BlueSound Vault 2i with the same system and interconnects... Awful. One dimensional. Harsh. Terrible resolution. I am very disappointed with the sound from this unit. So much so that I have just ordered the Denafrips Ares II R-2R dac. With a good coaxial cable I am hoping to get a much better experience. Unfortunately I will not be able to play MQA through the Ares II but I couldn’t listen to the on-board dac on the Vault for longer listening sessions.

I can update the experience once I have the Denafrips in the system if anyone is interested.

22. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

For what it’s worth I’m using an Ares II with a Node 2i and I’ve been happy with the combination. Hopefully it works out for you.

23. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I use an Audio Research DAC 8 with my Node2 and a Cambridge DAC magic with my Vault 2, with great results. Their linked together so I can access all my CD's on the Node.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.