Megadeth on vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Soundslave, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm a big fan of Megadeth and was often checking SH forums for comparisons before even starting to collect LPs and registering here.
    So just for all users that might be interested in MegaLPs I decided to create a separate thread to gather information and maybe discuss Megadeth catalog that is available (or was available) on vinyl.
    Let's start with the more recent reissues and releases.
    The most common are Rust in Peace, Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? and So Far, So Good... So What! that were released as a part of "Capitol From the Vaults" series around 2008. RiP and PSBWB feature original 1990 and 1986 mixes respectively while SFSGSW is based on 2004 remixed & remastered version.
    You may also encounter Mobile Fidelity 2LP version of Countdown to Extinction, but it was actually made from 2004 remix but has 2006 Mobile Fidelity mastering which in my opinion makes it the best CtE version (I have a Gold CD of that and I don't like the original 1992 mastering).
    Megadeth also made United Abominations and Endgame available on vinyl at the time of their release. Both albums were mastered by Andy Sneap and LPs were made (from my little investigations) at Celebrate Records plant by Frank Kirschner (UA) and Kati Müller (Endgame). I only got Endgame today and it definitely sounds like a different master to the CD version.

The more recent reissues on Picture Disks all feature 2004 remixed & remastered versions of the albums and that is a little bummer for me. Why?
    According to the liner note in the booklet of PSBWB 25th anniversary boxset, PSBWB 2004 wasn't included on the DVD-audio along with 2011 remaster because "The 2004 remix and Randy Burns mixes were done at standard CD resolution of 16 bit/44.1k." and that made me think that, you know, if you have 16/44 original would there be any benefit of it on vinyl? That's why I guess the recent re-releases are not supposed to bring something new to the [turn]table.
    Also, 2011 LP might be different to 2008 reissue. As I pointed out in this thread Megadeth Capitol 'Vaults' reissues... specifically regarding Rust in Peace
    Feel free to add your experience and information :)

oddmentandtweak and Krzych like this.
  2. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I have the Capitol Rust and the Mofi CtE, both of which are excellent. I'm not sure what version I have of Peace off hand but it's not very good, I know that much.

Soundslave likes this.
  3. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

I have the 1986 st12526, Peace Sells LP, and the 1987 c1-548148 LP, So Far LP which sound great! It's been ~27 years since I listened to them (got rid of my TT now looking to buy a TT!).

Soundslave likes this.
  4. Soundslave

Great to see some input from you guys!
    I'll continue that there was also The System Has Failed release from Music on Vinyl in 2013 and 2016. In 2013 MoV released a black one and limited purple while in 2016 they reissued TSHF on orange vinyl again in limited quantities (I have that one, while my friend got a purple color). I can definitely say that it might not be that noticeable difference like Endgame on CD vs LP, but for sure the mastering made TSHF to sound better in LP format. On CD I definitely hear some "lodness war" issues during some intense drum parts (for example on Kick the Chair).

I also would like to add on PSBWB since I have original UK LP from 1986. That one was mastered by Nick Webb. And after comparing it to 2011 release I can't say that the latter is inferior. They sound a bit different and maybe 2011 sounds like a more detailed offer.

What are your experiences with Killing is My Business... And Business is Good!? I have Holland 1985 issued under Roadrunner Records label and it sounds pretty good. I listened to MFN46 CD and in my opinion it sounds bad, sometimes the balance flows, some things are mixed too quiet and overall not a great experience besides bearing original mix. Maybe someone with Combat Records LP can add something?

The World Needs a Hero had a vinyl release back in 2001 through Metal-Is-Records and Sanctuary Records with no info on who pressed or mastered it. Originally album was mastered by Tom Jensen and maybe he also did a vinyl release. I tried to listen to a needledrop of it and couldn't hear anything different. Maybe the level is a bit lower and that's it.

5. joshm2286

joshm2286 Forum Resident

I have the 2008 reissue of PSBWB on vinyl and it sounds bad to my ears. The dynamics are crushed making the record sound sloppy. Recently picked up an original 1986 U.S. pressing and it's the best version of the album I've ever heard.

My vinyl reissue of Rust in Peace sounds good. The sound could be more detailed though.

Soundslave likes this.
  6. I have an original US pressing of Peace Sells and the "from the Capitol vaults" version of Rust In peace. I still hope the original version of Countdown To Extinction will be reissued on vinyl someday.

bru87tr, Szeppelin75 and joshm2286 like this.
  7. In the meantime, I was able to find an original Colombian pressing for real cheap.

Szeppelin75 and Soundslave like this.
  8. Soundslave

Do you have an original 1992 CD? I wonder how are they in comparison. I tried to compare a needledrop of original 1994 UK Youthanasia and my UK promo CD - didn't hear anything different and actually CD made a better impression on me.

9. Unfortunately no. My CD copy is the Mustaine remix.

Soundslave likes this.
  10. ripping corpse

ripping corpse Forum Resident

1st US pressings:
    1) SFSGSW
    2)RIP
    3)PSBWB
    So Far... has dynamics and separation that the other 2 lack with RIP being real close. Not that Peace.... sounds bad just not on par with the other 2.
    Sure wish they were as good as the Slayer releases from the same era.

Soundslave likes this.
  11. Soundslave

Just found out that in 2017 Peace Sells was reissued under "75th Anniversary of Capital Records". I suspect that it is a repress of 2008 version but for now don't see any photos of the label sticker.
    Megadeth - Peace sells... But Who's Buying?
    My friend got one and we'll do a comparison of 1986 UK, my 2011 remastered LP and his 2017 repress.

12. Soundslave

All right, finally sat down with my friend to compare some stuff at my place and he brought "75th Anniversary of Capitol Records" Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? reissue.
    It has the same DCM letters on the deadwax as 2008 reissue, so I guess it bears the same mastering.
    We've compared the sound of 1986 UK, his 2017 reissue (basically a reissue of 2008 reissue :) ) and 2011 digital remaster. What can I say. 2008 version sounds less compressed because I had to bring the volume up in comparison to 2011 and original 1986, but the latter is actually louder than reissue :) Another point is it sounds noticeably different from 2008 version - vocals are closer to the listener, snare drum have a very lively presence as well as guitars. So the presentation is I would say more "saturated" and clear. 2011 remaster definitely has more bass and high frequencies in comparison to 2008 reissue. Also, in my opinion 2011 has better instrument separation. All in all it's hard to say that any particular LP sounds inferior but I really liked the presence on original 1986 UK.

13. Soundslave

Another interesting entry for this topic :)

I got my hands on the Rust in Peace EU original 1990 LP. I was actually digging info on where it was pressed and the closest I could get - somewhere in Germany, based on the Test Pressing entry on Discogs.
    Anyway, I had 2008 Capitol from the Vaults US reissue, since it's the most common vinyl from Megadeth, at least from my perspective.
    I decided to get the original for three things - first, Valeron (pretty known needledrop guy who has a channel on Youtube to share his reviews and compare different pressings) stated that the 2008 reissue is inferior in terms of sound to US original press and at the same time said that UK press was the best of all to his ears; second - I always felt that kick drums on original RiP mix are somewhat flat and in general 2008 LP sounds a bit flat to my ears; third - Rust in Peace was the last album fully recorded on analog equipment according to Nick Menza and David Ellefson at least.
    After a pretty close comparison between 1990 EU and 2008 US presisngs, I can assume that EU definitely has a more pronounced bass, guitars have a bit more crunch and sound is more natural/real/organic.
    Sometimes I see 2008 reissue at the price I payed for this EU original, so if that will be the case for any Megafan out there - definitely go for 1990. EU or US - depends on your luck and price, but in general they both have similar EQ, at least based from Valeron's samples in his video and my own listening experience.

14. Damascus

Damascus Member

I just recieved my combat german pressing of Peace Sells today and compaired to the german RiP pressing it doesn't sound as good. I got so far so good so what in a german pressing under capitol but I haven't given it a spin to see if it sounds as good as RiP. It's a bummer the DM mixes are only available on cd. And more so that Youthanasia was only released on blue vinyl and PD, the original pressing goes for $160 and up.

15. Soundslave

Um, well I got some questions to you :)

What's the reason to compare different albums? I got that both of those are pressed in Germany but they were done by different sound teams and recorded by different engineers... Or is it just "which album sounds the best" kind of thing?

You mean 2004 remixed remasters? Actually SFSGSW was made available back in 2008 as a part of "Capitol from the Vaults" series and it is the only Megadeth album from that series issued with 2004 remix version.
    As for other albums - they were reissued in 2014 on Back to Black label as Picture Discs all bearing 2004 remixed & remastered versions. More to that, a recent reissue of Rust in Peace on blue vinyl (available at Sound of Vinyl) was made from 2004 remix too.

Now here I totally agree with you. One thing I would add is when comparing a needledrop of original 1994 LP to my 1994 CD I didn't hear much of a difference, but hoped for it.

16. sam1982

sam1982 Forum Resident

I had an original 80's German Combat pressing of Peace Sells and I didn't like it at all, sounded really thin and shrill. I have the 2008 Capitol repress and I can't offer much of an opinion either way on that, it sounded a lot like the original but with a bit more balls so to speak. But I haven't listened to this in a long time, so my memory may be incorrect on that.

I've got an original of So Far... (I have no idea what country it is from off the top of my head) and it sounds fine, punchy, airy etc although I'll note that I have only listened to it a few times as it's not really an album I like that much. But there was nothing 'off' about the sound

I have an original UK 90' Rust In Peace as well as the 2008 Capitol US repress; the UK original sounds excellent, punchy, airy, the music floats and moves, really nice pressing. The 2008 repress wasn't that bad at all, just missed that 5% of something that is evident in the UK original

I also have the 2010 red repress of Killing... and I can't comment on that, I haven't listened to it for a really long time.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    Soundslave likes this.
  17. Soundslave

Nice unput sam! Really like to read all those vinyl Megadeth experiences :)

A couple days ago The Sound of Vinyl announced a limited purple color reissue of PSBWB :)
    And on a side note their previous effort, blue Rust in Peace, was actually based around original mix (I suppose the same as 2008 Capitol from the Vaults). They even acknowledged their fault in a press release regarding using 2004 remix. So now we have more recent reissues of RIP and PSBWB on colored vinyl :)

18. Soundslave

19. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

I see people saying it's the original mix on Discogs. I wonder if the new Peace Sells will be the original mix as well. Does anyone have confirmation on that yet?

20. mertoo

mertoo Forum Resident

I have the below original pressings and they all sound fantastic.
    Peace sells..... UK EST2022
    Rust in peace EU 064-7 91935 1
    Countdown.... UK & EU 0777 7 98531 1 3 ESTU2175

blind_melon1 and Soundslave like this.
  21. Soundslave

I think so. Didn't see any confirmations on PSBWB but I'm pretty sure it is the same 2008 Capitol from the Vaults master.

22. Soundslave

Nice! I have the same PSBWB :) and to me that UK 1986 and US 2011 remaster are the best.
    Could you add anything to the comparison of UK and EU pressings of CtE? maybe even compare them to an original CD if you have it :rolleyes:

23. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Two of their better later career albums 'Endgame' and 'Dystopia' are worth seeking on vinyl.

oddmentandtweak, Jam757 and Clanceman like this.
  24. Soundslave

Totally agree on Endgame, since I have official Russian CD and German LP. Regarding Dystopia though, not much of a difference. I got EU LP and while it sounds a bit better it's not like Endgame CD-LP difference. Again, I would recommend to get Endgame and UA on LP for sure.

bamaaudio likes this.
  25. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

I really hope we get a good quality vinyl issue of Youthanasia (the US never got one) with full dynamics and a clean top end. The original blue UK vinyl is obviously available but the champaign wishes and caviar dreams of those selling them are simply not on my list of deserving charities.

onionmaster and Soundslave like this.