50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Just a note, don't buy the 24/96 download in the hopes of getting less compression than the CDs. It's the exact same mastering in higher resolution, DR numbers and sound quality are identical.

2. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Walk toward the void that's labeled The Beatles!

3. Dr. Pepper

Helpful, thanks.

tinnox and Laservampire like this.
  4. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

I’ve got numbers under my fingers!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    tinnox likes this.
  5. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

6. Dr. Pepper

There she blows! There be a big White whale here!

The Beatles 107 tracks on Spotify!!

7. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

Bye everyone gonna listen for the next few hours, see you on the other side!

8. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

And this is how the first Thanksgiving began.

My plane is landing gotta run....

rontoon and tinnox like this.
  9. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  10. Dr. Pepper

Cool little videos that go with each song on Spotify.

11. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

12. Dr. Pepper

First time hearing Esher Dear Prudence, just stunning!

13. Dr. Pepper

How the heck did Sour Milk Sea not make the cut? Esher version is wonderful!

stevenson66g, The Band and tinnox like this.
  14. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

15. Dr. Pepper

16. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

I was a little kid at Xmas who could not sleep last night, got up at 3am to listen on stream before physical copy arrived.
    Started with Esher and now on sessions, sound is stunning and and so
    intimate & emotional. Thanks Beatles, thanks Giles....
    Always loved and defended Paul music and he's great here, but this set really showcases John's genius and George's talents. Gotta go to work in an hour....Sigh.

17. Dr. Pepper

No, but obviously John and the two Georges guided his hands in this wonderful gift.

zobalob, andrewskyDE, tinnox and 3 others like this.
  18. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

Wait, wait, wait... Did they really include a less compressed master on the blu ray this time ? (Helter Skelter DR9 on BR, DR8 on CD)

ponkine and tinnox like this.
  19. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

I better get some Revolution 9 5.1 mix reviews tomorrow :D

tinnox and jumpinjulian like this.
  20. Dr. Pepper

For that matter Mean Mr Mustard and Polythene Pam are suprisingly skipped as well and sound wonderful in their Esher versions. With Not Guilty not too far behind, but of course they had to cut something.

tinnox likes this.
  21. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

With Mrs. Brainwashed still recovering, I've been forced to listen all week to bits and pieces. First things first. The Esher demos sound great. Anyone saying they sound shrill, or are overly bright are whacked. So there. The alternate take of Sour Milk Sea is MUCH better than the electric guitar demo we're all familiar with. Circles is fantastic... vocals are very, very good and the organ is spooky and cool. There's really not a clinker in the bunch. Lots of fun listening to these. I've always enjoyed the Esher demos and the remix from the 4 track tapes is as good as it gets.

The remix album is better, FAR better, than I ever expected. Nothing is remotely brickwalled or hard limited. There's plenty of air, dynamics and even a bit of hiss. All of George's songs are significantly better sounding than ever before. Long, Long, Long is exceptionally good. His vocals ARE brought up compared to the original but it's for the better. Ringo's drums and George's acoustic are thunderous. Piggies has never sounded so open and clear. Same with Savoy Truffle... it just rocks out, but the vocals and instruments are bell-clear. Love it. "Gently Weeps" is a nice improvement over the standard stereo mix, but Eric's guitar needed to be brought forward, IMO. George and Paul's vocals sound lovely. I'll probably do a track-by-track analysis over the weekend, if we're back from hospital.

The outtakes are all good, some stunningly good. I give the top prize to the bluesy Cry Baby Cry as the best outtake on the set. Some lovely guitar from George on that one. The oldies blast of You're So Square) Baby I Don't Care is better than almost ANY jam from the Get Back sessions... just too damn short. I love Paul's vocal on Blue Moon. Even though he's just larking about it's got a beautiful, sweet tone. If it wasn't for Lennon trying to play the wood block, I bet he would have continued on without laughing. The rehearsal of Let It Be was totally unexpected. A full band version, albeit short, with presumably John playing some organ fills and Ringo pounding on the skins. For some reason I was expecting a slight piano demo from Paul. Paul even tells Ken Scott to remember it. Very cool. Other highlights include: Revolution (single version) rehearsal, Hey Jude Take 1, Martha My Dear (no strings or brass), stellar outtakes for Happiness Is A Warm Gun, Long, Long, Long, While My Guitar with Eric. Hell, they're all good or at worst interesting and/or fun alternatives. Even Take 1 of What's The New Mary Jane is a hoot. Featuring John on vocals and piano and laughing a lot and George on Acoustic. No Yoko! No silly effects. No pennywhistle!

Complaints. Really, just one. take 102 of Not Guilty. George's vocal is too far back and just like Roger Scott's stereo mix, it has the overdubbed (more subdued) lead guitar too loud and the more rauceous lead guitar (heard best on the Pete Seller's mono mix) in the background. Just an odd mixing decision. I suppose I was just expecting something magical for this song. But it sort of just sits there. Sound quality is good, but I was expecting A LOT. My lone complaint.

More to follow.... Ron

PS The demos/rehearsals for Julia are amazing. Hearing John so vulnerable and into the performance brought tears to these old eyes. Just lovely.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
    jricc, kolive, winston32 and 33 others like this.
  22. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Sourced from the cd?

tinnox likes this.
  23. Dr. Pepper

The New Mary Jane Esher is my favorite version of the song.

tinnox likes this.
  24. hamishd91

hamishd91 Forum Resident

107 tracks streaming, all those box sets, the CD at stores... I wonder how high this will chart next week...

25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

:goodie:Tis thee ninth

tinnox and John Bliss like this.