Bob Dylan – Bootleg Series Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks (2 Nov 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 2, 2016.

1. slane

slane Forum Resident

A new series of takes, usually at a later session.

Joey_Corleone and wavethatflag like this.
  2. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

My amazon vinyl has some non fill/diginoise on Meet Me in the Morning (I’m pretty sure it’s not the buttons clacking) which is a bummer. Especially since amazon is only offering a refund, not an exchange.

3. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

But why wouldnt they just get new take numbers?

Are we saying that the take numbers restart at 1 if it is a "remake" of the song?

Craig likes this.
  4. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Yes. They didn’t always follow protocol though, so some slates don’t fit the pattern.

Craig likes this.
  5. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I just never heard of this "remake" terminology. I'm used to EMI/Beatles giving everything a unique take number.

6. highway

highway Forum Resident

Call girls in the doorway
    All giving me the eye
    Call girls in the doorway
    All giving me the eye
    But my heart's just not in it
    I might as well pass right on by

My ears are ringin'
    Ringin' like empty shells
    My ears are ringin'
    Ringin' like empty shells
    Well, it can't be no guitar player
    It must be convent bells

I think there’s a connection to the verse just before.

7. RayS

It’s less common for The Beatles but they also have “remakes”. “Norweigan Wood” is a prime example.

8. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

I bought the single-disc release, and have played it 4+ times. It compelled me to spin the finished album once again. I do like the additional production and instrumentation of BOTT as released. Meet Me In The Morning sounds especially pristine in it's finished state.

I don't see myself accessing my Bootleg Series disc again, though I did find some of it interesting (Shelter From the Storm, You're A Big Girl Now, & Buckets of Rain), and will certainly treasure it as the historical sonic document that it is.

9. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

Funny how the absence of the slight reverb on the vocal has allowed me to hear “Shelter From The Storm (Take 4)” - the 1975 BOTT album take - with fresh ears. It strikes me as one of the all-time great Dylan vocals, up there with “Moonshiner” or “She’s Your Lover Now” (the piano version). I never thought much about the vocal performance on that tune before, it’s really superb.

Actually, the forward placement of the vocal on all of these NY BOTT takes reminds me a lot of the ‘66 “She’s Your Lover Now” piano version - always a good thing to be reminded of.

10. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I think it’s a great album. Great performance vocally by Bob and is in total command of inflection and intonation, which is why New Pony is unnerving.

11. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

Street Legal beats Blood in my book, and New Pony is an incredible track. Talk about a divorce album SL is it. I cant begin to elucidate how great a track New Pony is with its prominent guitar solo.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  12. RayS

I'm not sure I follow. Can you elaborate? :)

13. These remixed Minneapolis tracks are just incredible in headphones.

14. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I don't miss drums on some of the New York sessions. Dylan's voice is calm, confident, assured, natural, expressive with no strain. A special quality emerges in his voice, layers of tone, that I don't hear when the drummer is drumming. It's as if drums make Dylan nervous and turn his voice staccato. Maybe I'm krazy but that's my impression.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  15. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

Is there another take of the Minnesota version of “Tangled up in Blue” that made it on BotT?

I have to say that the version that was released on the album is one of my favorite Dylan songs. I find all the other earlier versions pretty boring and lifeless in comparison. Maybe it’s because I’m so familiar with the BotT version.

musicaner and MerseyBeatle like this.
  16. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

This is my favourite TUIB :

17. BlindWillieMcZim

BlindWillieMcZim Forum Resident

Modern Times? You be trollin' us, yeah?

18. Well it definitely beats Street-Legal even if it's the weakest of the so called comeback trilogy.

19. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

It’s not even in my top 20 Dylan LPs.

bgiliberti and BlindWillieMcZim like this.
  20. Tom Thumbs Booze

Tom Thumbs Booze Forum Resident

According to the book 'A simple twist of fate' by Andy Gill and Kevin Odegard (guitarist on the Minneapolis sessions) there were 3 takes of Tangled on Dec 30. These were :
    1 G version
    2 Partial A version, rehearsal
    3 BOTT released version.
    This is probably from Kevin Odegard's own memory but as he only played on Tangled (according to the new set's liner notes), it ought to be accurate.
    There were 5 takes of 'Idiot Wind' in Minneapolis and 2 each of the other 3 redone songs.

Leviathan and George P like this.
  21. Regarding MN v NY recordings, these are my own preferences:

TUIB - MN

YAABGN - NY acetate and BS Vol 14 version of same (better mixed than Biograph version)

IW - draw between NY acetate and MN

LRAJOH - MN

IYSHSH - NY version but I prefer the earlier takes, possibly even first take to any other.

In conclusion I have no real need for the BOTT Sessions boot as apart from IW with organ none of those tracks are preferable to the released version and then not available on Vol 14.

22. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Immersing myself in these songs brings to mind why some albums are a step up from others, the eye for detail but also the impeccable unity and coherence. So much has revealed itself through soaking in this release. For me, this has improved my appreciation of Blood on the Tracks immeasurably—it made it perhaps slightly less perfect and less polished, and yet, as a result, opened me up to the masterpiece.

Themes, lyrics, and lines reverberate throughout the album.

The friends missing at the end of “Tangled” and the friends that arrive and disappear in the final song, “Buckets of Rain.” The opening sunshine in “Tangled” immediately followed by the “I” standing in the rain (focus moving from her hair to his shoes) and ultimately contrasted with the buckets of rain at the album’s end.

All those colours, but particularly Red.

The recurrent animal images which seem to be associated with beauty and danger, the exotic and free, the wild and untamed, even savage emotion barely beneath the surface.

The array of visual and sensory (sounds, smells, and touches) details; the association with Norman Raeben has never been clearer to me, capturing multiple perspectives, cinematic in scope—sweeping shots and panoramas (from the Grand Coulee Dam to the Capital) and zoomed-in close-ups, sometimes uncomfortably intimate (“the lines in my face”). All those tiny details, many associated with the body! Shoe laces, buttons, shirts, hats, gloves, bracelets, pipes, teeth, bone, mouth, lips, heart, hips, fingertips, ears, hands, etc etc.

Changes in Time and Speed. Slow/Postponed/Easy and Slow Vs Fast/Quick/Short and Sweet. Lazy, stoned time and time the enemy that moves too fast, in a hurry. The ticking of the clock. People, Coming and Going. Fate and Chance. Soft and Hard. Wet and Dry. Spinning wheels, and loaded dice. Rising and Falling/Tripping. Light and Dark and Overcast and (a Man Named) Gray. Here and other There. Dawn, morning, evening, night. Time out of joint.

Extreme changes in weather—wind and breezes, storms, rain, hail, snow, thunder and lightning, sun, moon, stars, overcast.

Despite the religious references, this might be Dylan’s most humanist, sublunary album.

It’s remarkable, really, that an album could mine such seams of imagery and yet never feel forced or labored, passing by unnoticed, sounding so natural and organic.

23. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

If something is changed (guitar tuning, chord sequence, lyrics etc) then that can also be a remake. The song is being "remade", either due to a break between takes or a change to the song arrangement.

George P and RayS like this.
  24. BlindWillieMcZim

BlindWillieMcZim Forum Resident

Aw come on now... All subjective, of course, but Street Legal is a great album, on so many levels: the writing, the singing, the whole feel of it and sum of its parts... An important album in Dylan's catalog. Modern Times is a bloated, turgid, bore.

CBackley and Tom Favata like this.
  25. BigSur32

BigSur32 Forum Resident

Beautifully put.

streetlegal and Hotel@mnesia like this.