Music that makes/made you feel old?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by katieinthecoconut, Nov 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katieinthecoconut

katieinthecoconut Forum Resident Thread Starter

This thread is inspired by a savage review of a Lil Xan album in The Guardian, which is subtitled "moronic rap to make you feel old".

It's a pretty common thing to, as you age, slowly fall out of touch with popular culture, including music, no matter how into music you are. The number of people that feel music's been terrible since X year is testament to that, or who'd just call X genre "noise" or write it off as facile.

But no matter your age, young or less young, I feel like there's always something that makes you feel old. I'm a young person, but even I feel a bit out of touch with some musical genres, whereas in 2011 I was on top of everything mainstream.

What are some examples of music that makes you feel old now, or made you feel old at the time you heard it?

Was there a particular band or genre or song that made you have a moment when you realised you weren't in touch with musical trends anymore?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  2. katieinthecoconut

katieinthecoconut Forum Resident Thread Starter

An early example from me is probably this. Not really the song, more the video, treating the year 1999 as a distant memory of clichéd pop culture references, featuring a singer (Troye Sivan) that was four years old at the time.

There's another song that's been a hit called 2002 that basically plays on the same turn-of-the-millennium nostalgia that's becoming the next big thing.

3. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I have no idea what reggaeton is, or means, where it’s from, or how you eat it.

Did I even spell it right?...

4. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Grunge & Britpop...

veloso2 likes this.
  5. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

My 25 year old student who is doing her clinical rotation has never heard of Chuck Berry. How is that possible? This makes me feel old and dumbfounded at the same time.

6. Django

Django Forum Resident

You felt old at the time these genres popular?

7. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Music itself rarely makes me feel old...
    When I have a song playing and one of the fetuses at work doesn't know it, that sometimes does.
    When I hear things like The wall is forty years old .... or nirvana bleach is thirty years old ..... well ... that does

8. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

It was "when I realized I wasn't in touch with musical trends anymore..."

altaeria, Jimijam, YardByrd and 2 others like this.
  9. At my age I don’t need anything to make me feel old. :magoo:
    I’ve never been in touch with musical trends.

10. Django

Django Forum Resident

Really... I would have thought they would have been very familiar to the slightly older music fan.
    They were reruns of 60s & 70s guitar music.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  11. mark winstanley

i think that's what did it. I'm not sure on @dmiller458 's perspective, but when all that came out, everyone was talking about this new music, and I was like "it's rock" what's new about it lol. I liked it, but I was baffled by this whole "this stuff is so fresh and new and nobody has ever done it before" thing hahaha

12. Dopey

Dopey Well-Known Member

When the boy bands came out in the late '90s

13. mark winstanley

lol ... that just made me feel sick hahaha

kendo, lightbulb, Jackson and 3 others like this.
  14. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Hair Metal back in the 80s made me feel old because I simply could not relate at all, didn't feel the energy from it and thought the quality level was so subpar that I couldn't believe RnR fans were trading pearls for swine. So - my first grumpy old man moment.

15. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Anything with 'auto-tune' on it!
    I always turn to my wife, and put my fingers in my ears, and make that 'squished-face'-look like Kathleen Turner in "Serial Mom"!(@3:45)

DesertHermit likes this.
  16. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

I’m 33. So not really “old”.
    But seeing young artists like Mac Miller who just died at 26 makes me realize that the young stars that “live fast and die young” are now at least 5 years younger than me.

Can’t really say that individual GENRES cause me to feel out of touch... usually I can find something redeeming about the music or the feeling it inspires in its listeners! Even if I don’t agree with it.

lesterbangs likes this.
  17. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

All of it.

Stuff from when I was young. Stuff that young people like now. Jazz. You name it.

YardByrd likes this.
  18. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

I was just made to feel old looking at promotional material for Elvis Costello's new album which is "His first album with the Impostors in 10 years!"

Not only do I think of the Impostors as "the new band", but I had presumed they were a going concern.

19. ChrisInKansas

ChrisInKansas Forum Resident

Enormous music fan and thought I’d never reach the point where I at least hadn’t heard a #1 Billboard song, but when I looked at a recent chart and saw that someone named Bazzi (I think) had the most played song on top 40 radio and not only hadn’t heard the song but hadn’t heard OF it, I knew I was at THAT age. (And I found the song and played it and it was God-awful).

20. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

It was 1967; I was twelve. I still remember watching this on "The Smothers Brothers" TV show. This was an eye-opener to me about like the Beatles had done their first time on "Ed Sullivan." It's still mesmerizing...fifty-one years later.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  21. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

When I hear She Loves You, I remember when it came out but I don't feel old.

22. The joy of having a young family is i cant feel old. I am regularly buying new music. Keeps me young

Geee! likes this.
  23. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

Debbie Gibson. I remember first hearing her in the spring of 1987 when her first single "Only In My Dreams" charted. She was 16.

Now most of her hits are around 30 years old and she's pushing 50. Arrrrggggghhhh!!!

lightbulb and Holy Socks like this.
  24. Holy Socks

Holy Socks Active Member

YES!!! And Tiffany, Martika and even Olivia Newton-John. They all got so old!

Celebrated Summer likes this.
  25. 4Ever

4Ever Well-Known Member

This

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.