50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

Listening via Spotify while awaiting the delivery of the box set and....

I got teary, genuinely, when in HIAWG the happiness is a warm gun line came in - the spread of the mix is so warm and lovely, it was like hearing it for the first time again.

2. Beatle Ed

Beatle Ed Forum Resident

Presumably although Revolution 9 hasn't seemingly been remixed for stereo, they've used a remastered version on the remixed LP, so that it sounds crisper alongside the other stuff (rather than use the master from the original mix as it was - which would be an odd thing to do, admittedly)?

I'm relying on (and interested in) other people's observations on the new set for now, as I won't be hearing it until Christmas Day! :)

tinnox likes this.
  3. muenke

muenke Forum Resident

Wow, just wow. „You‘re so square“ is just amazing, what a rockin‘ band. Love Pauls voice. And his punky count-in on the fast Helter Skelter outtake. Take 14 of I‘m so tired is fantastic too, love those harmonies and guitar licks. And „Happiness“, the outtake, so cool. And the best: still 70 songs to go for me.

dvakman, The Band, Chris M and 3 others like this.
  4. shygurudave

shygurudave Forum Resident

:D

tinnox likes this.
  5. csnfan

csnfan Forum Resident

It's More the Beatles meet Crazy Horse Down By the River to me! But I agree - Brilliant!

6. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

I'm probably not the first one in this 1173 page thread to say this. So far I've received and listened to the 4 LP set, waiting for Deluxe set delivery today. In all the excitement I thought about all our dearly departed Beatle friends who will never get to hear this or some of the other releases (Pepper, Imagine box and the upcoming Macca releases) in recent years. I'm thinking of Keith of Revolver Records NYC (who many of you know or have heard of) and a mutual friend of him and I. So sad that they are not here to share the thrill. These releases should have come out 10-20 years ago. Many of us 1st generation fans will not be around much longer (or as I said are already gone). Will we live to see pristine official releases of Shea and Let it Be?? Time is running out. At least we have the memories of those exciting times dating back to the first Ed Sullivan shows.

7. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Super Deluxe is available to listen to free for Amazon Music Unlimited subscribers.

tinnox, Bevok and coffeetime like this.
  8. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Listening to the Esher Demos, really digging it.
    Reminds me of The Beach Boys Party album.

dvakman, NOS300B, Eska68 and 7 others like this.
  9. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

I've just had an email from Amazon, informing me that next day delivery doesn't actually mean that, and they will deliver the box-set as and when they feel able. You pay extra for Prime, but it's just the usual standard corporate BS. Not can do, but can't do. Very disappointing.

10. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Curiosity makes me ask this: If the album was released on 22 November 1968, why is The Beatles – Super Deluxe being released today?

tinnox likes this.
  11. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Which is when i’ll get it (living in Denmark where there is no amazon outlet)

Damn.....

tinnox likes this.
  12. tezca

tezca Forum Resident

I am listening in Spotify and I agree with the comments above. In some tracks the "purity" or "cleanness" of the sound of voices make them out of tune (I will). The WA never was a cohesive album as it was a re-collection of many moods, so the roughness was intended and palpable. As applebonkerz said: "...all the dirty power and grit was sucked right out of it."
    I will receive the CDs foe Xmas as a present. I was going to buy the Album on record on my lunch break today, but I am having second thoughts...Yes, the sound in Spotify is heavily compressed, but for me they are clear indications of somethings I do not like personally. Julia is spotless, almost without a emotional sense. If the isolation is aim to create a "perfect" sound (like a clear sound byte preferred by the young this days) could end be ending flat. Everybody's Got Something...has no punch

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    dvakman, applebonkerz and tinnox like this.
  13. autumn daze

Presumably to avoid thanksgiving and Black Friday in the US (well, BF is now a global thing, it seems).

Merrick, tinnox and coffeetime like this.
  14. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Same boat here, although I didn’t bother contacting them for a personalised excuse.

If you’re in travelling distance of an HMV, they look to be stocked and prepared for the likes of us.

After the success of the Pepper reissue last year, I’m guessing so ‘they’ can say it’s number one again on the anniversary of its release. Although that line of reasoning would mean it should be released next Friday. Releasing well ahead of Christmas for presents?

Or it might as simple a Number 9 (number 9, Number 9...), the 9/9/2009 catalogue reissues that went so well?

15. Royce

Royce Senior Member

What an awesome 18 year old you are! Glad to have you here! You and your brother are gonna have a great time listening to this together. What a sweet thing to do with him. Now, how on EARTH are you gonna hold off listening to it till then! You're a better man than I if you can do it! :)

16. autumn daze

Another two observations from me:

1. They left in the early fade up on the vocal in Happiness Is A Warm Gun so you hear the end of ‘down’ just before the first ‘I need a fix’. I’ve always loved that bit, so I’m glad it is still there.

2. Paul McCartney is an incredible musician. His guitar, bass and piano playing on this album is phenomenal.

aintgotnoclock, jricc, 905 and 20 others like this.
  17. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Number 9, number 9, number 9

Eska68, fogalu, django68 and 3 others like this.
  18. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Yeah, me too. Flew home from Belgium (in anticipation of these being delivered as expected on the 09/11) and noticed en route in My Orders that the three items had been "handed to resident". Arrived to find that they’re not there, they’re not with neighbours, there is no card and god only knows what resident has it and where. Furious.

This morning I realised that that also included the new Jethro Tull, also (not) delivered a day early.

tinnox likes this.
  19. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

What!! :( Can they do something like that? Just hand it over to whoever?!?

I'd be ropeable :realmad:

tinnox likes this.
  20. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

Shame you didn't enjoy it. Suggest you file the remix album album away when you receive and don't put yourself through the pain again, I don't think it'll get any better for you. There's plenty of bonus material hopefully you will enjoy.

21. HardTimesRoughLines

HardTimesRoughLines She learned me life is sweet and God is good

:love::love::love:

I slept three hours last night because of this box and we are all now listening to it at work. Never post on here while at the office but it is White Friday after all and we are having an extended lunch. Smiling faces all around! Just had to share that with you crazy mudders. Funny thing is that we have been working like crazy because of the positive vibes and enjoyment.

Now I'll enjoy my coffee and sandwich.

Best regards,

HTRL

Revolver, Beatle Ed, Eska68 and 15 others like this.
  22. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I remember a case like this coming up on a well known consumer program. I think it was 'delivered' to a neighbour who clearly had not received the package. I just refused to take parcels from them for addresses a few houses away. I suspect they don't always remember to leave a card. My advice is to have a 'safe place' even if that is a bin (not on collection day). I think they are paid by delivery so taking parcels back loses the driver income. Alternatively have parcels sent to an Amazon Locker if you are mostly away.

tinnox likes this.
  23. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

my set is numbered 0045423.... 4+5=9 and 4+2+3=9 so I knew I was in for a treat and John would be ok with this copy

24. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

All the fans can have it in their homes at the 22nd and play it at that day. Playing it before that day is illegal and Apple Corps. may send the boys around for a damn good thrashing!

Beatle Ed and tinnox like this.
  25. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

I love Take 2 of Helter Skelter. I would listen to Take 3 if it ever came out.