Thoughts on the Marantz TT-15S1?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TheRavenPoe, Mar 26, 2017.

1. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

A couple of years ago, when first researching and shopping for this table, I was told by a dealer in Portland that they were no longer being made. I have not seen this confirmed anywhere else, so not sure of its veracity. If true, there sure seems to have been a lot of stock "in the pipeline" since then.

I have also read that Clearaudio had some second thoughts about producing the table for Marantz because it undercut sales of similar Clearaudio models. This is another bit of internet gossip that may or may not be true. If it is, it would support the claim that Clearaudio might want to quit making the table.

unityofsaints and patient_ot like this.
  2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I may get some flack for this but aside from very few notable exceptions, dealers don't know what they're talking about. They'll say and claim any number of wild things without any evidence whatsoever to unsuspecting customer.

This turntable is still being manufactured and sold through Marantz and carries a 5-year warranty.

Marantz US | TT-15S1

3. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

It always seemed to me this model may be something of a loss-leader for Marantz to get their name in the high-quality analog game and put a 'table in their Reference line.

4. Nesto719

Nesto719 Active Member

I’ve always wanted to get one

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  5. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

Never heard of the term Loss Leader eh? It gets tiring those who know nothing about the turntable sneering at it in online forums.

4xoddic and riverrat like this.
  6. Giacomo Belbo

Giacomo Belbo Journalist for Rolling Stone 1976-1979

There is no sneering I’m just making an observation which is quite obvious: either the cartridge isn’t worth 800 dollars or the table 1200 - you pick and chose. I don’t suppose you believe that Marantz decided to lose money so you can get a 2000 dollars worth of analogue setup cheaper? ;-) Realistically neither construction or technology is something unique.

izgoblin and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

It's worth noting most of the CA MM cartridges are nothing more than a modded AT95 generator. Likely a high-margin item for CA no matter what people want to believe.

8. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

I printed the same arc protractor as you and ended up at the middle of the slot. I just wonder what is it with OEM recommendation in the manual to move the cartridge all away forward? Misleading.
    Thanks BTW. Good guideline for set-up.

Antwurp likes this.
  9. Davey

Davey NP: Electrelane ~ No Shouts No Calls (2007 LP)

I don't know, my picture and protractor are for my Satisfy on a Clearaudio Avantgarde, which has the tonearm mounted at the specified 222 mm pivot to spindle distance, maybe the Marantz is different, has anyone measured the picot to spindle distance to verify it is 222 mm? Mine is shown with the Clearaudio Concept MC cartridge, which has the mounting holes towards the rear of the cartridge body so it's understandably pretty far back in the slot. I haven't used the Clearaudio Virtuoso, but does your headshell have pins that fit in the tonearm slots for maintaining the offset angle? Those prevent it from moving all the way forward, and I think that is the basis for the instructions, though maybe some of them don't come with the pins? Mine doesn't have pins, but I thought the one used on the Marantz did.

10. Danilo

Danilo Forum Resident

[​IMG] I was thinking to write an e-mail to Marantz to report the problem of the alignment;
    For the correct alignment, Clearaudio provides a protractor, which is provided with their emotion turntable, but strangely not with the Marantz.
    I bought one n Ebay, it's this:[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  11. Davey

OK, but what I was getting at in my rambling reply is that you should measure the pivot to spindle distance to assure it is actually 222 mm.

12. Danilo

Danilo Forum Resident

I haven't measured it, but the Marantz it's in fact an emotion turntable only modified on the front side to match with Marantz hi end series design, the mounting distance is the same.
    I can't figure out how to insert pictures...

13. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

Why not just a case of economy of scale? Marantz buys a large number of 15S1 turntables from CA to such a price that the 15S1 can be brought to market for its current price. CA is dealing with smaller sales numbers for their own tables.

Antwurp, 4xoddic, H8SLKC and 2 others like this.
  14. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Yes, it has pins, but still enough room to move it along the slot, and all away forward (when the front pin is against the end of the slot) is not right, as the stylus doesn't follow the arc then.
    When in the middle is fine.
    I am pretty sure it is 222mm. I will double check.

12" 45rpm and Davey like this.
  15. Davey

Could be that the earlier models had a shorter slot, I don't know, they do also give the 32 mm stylus measurement in manual you can use instead, though not sure which alignment that equates to with the pins controlling the offset angle. I did see mention on another site that P-S distance does measure 222 mm.

[​IMG]

unityofsaints likes this.
  16. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Yes, I've seen it in manual, but they say it is for not OEM cartridge, so I didn't bother. I checked it last night, and for my setting it looks like about 32mm. Not precise measurement though.
    As I said I set the position of the cartridge by arc protractor (vs all away forward).
    Conclusion: 32mm is better recommendation than moving it forward.
    Confirmed P-S distance is 222 mm.

Davey likes this.
  17. Davey

Yea, I suspect the early tonearms had a shorter slot based on the illustration in the manual below. They should've updated instructions at some point based on the change in the tonearm to a longer slot, sad to think most users are running with too much overhang, though hopefully the ones that care do as you and use a protractor, or use the alternate 32 mm measurement.

[​IMG]

formu_la likes this.
  18. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

Many years ago I recall seeing a review of both the Clearaudio Emotion and the Marantz TT-15S1 in a UK hi-fi mag. I think it was when either one or both of the tables were introduced. Things are a bit vague, but if my memory serves me well I'm pretty sure the tonearm supplied with the Marantz, though similar in appearance, was not the same as the Satisfy tonearm fitted to the Clearaudio, it was said to be not quite as good I believe. Again difficult to be 100% sure as many moons have since passed, but I think there were also one or two other differences between both tables. One thing I am certain of and that is the reviewer/s preferred the sound of the Clearaudio, which was the more costly table, by a small margin.

unityofsaints likes this.
  19. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

There are a few different variations of the Satisfy and it all has to do with the material the arm wand is made out of. Otherwise the arms are identical. The Satisfy that comes with the TT15 uses an Aluminum arm wand that is painted black. There are Carbon fiber, Satinee Wood and Ebony options available if you were buying the Emotion or just the tonearm.

Clearaudio | High End - made in germany

Clearaudio Satisfy tonearms: the Carbon Fiber, Satinee Wood, and Ebony, Review

Cyclone Ranger, JackG and willboy like this.
  20. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

Ah, right, thanks for that.

21. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Never heard it but I certainly love the look, and if it sounds remotely as good as it looks you should be happy.

22. PooreBoy

PooreBoy Forum Resident

Sometimes reading the posts in this forum can be tough on a person's wallet. :)
    After reading each of the posts in this thread, and reading posts on other turntables in other threads, I went ahead and ordered a (open box) Marantz TT15S1 from Amazon seller IQ. I should be receiving it by Friday. The odd thing is that this seller had the same # of open box tables as they did new...I'm not sure if this is a coincidence or not. But I would not be at all mad if they send a new one instead. ;)
    For me this is extremely high end. I'm 64 and disabled, but have a great passion for music, so I figured I'd treat myself.
    I look forward to seeing just how good this table sounds. And I have no doubt that it will be a day/night difference from my Pr0-Ject Carbon Debut Esprit SB.
    I'll post an update once I receive it and give myself a chance to enjoy the music.

23. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

The manual mentions that the platter mat can be used or not, no recommendations one way or another. Just the tone arm heights should be adjusted accordingly.
    What are thoughts, practices? Use or not?

24. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

TT15 owners can download a user manual for the Satisfy Kardan tonearm HERE. It shows more detail for a couple of things than the TT15 manual, e.g. azimuth adjustment.

I'm not sure if there is any difference between the Satisfy and the Satisfy "Kardan". They look identical to me. In any case, I just compared the manuals for the two and setup appears to be identical. The older manual for the Satisfy is no longer on the Clearaudio website; but I have it saved. The newer manual looks like it has slightly different layout and slightly better pictures, that is the only difference I can see.

CraigVC likes this.
  25. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

I thought it sounded a little more airy/open with the mat but more solid and better bass without. Try both and see what you like.

CraigVC and formu_la like this.