Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I'm Comin' Home
    Written By :
    Charlie Rich

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, March 12-13, 1961 : March 12, 1961. take 7
    So here we have a Charlie Rich song and seeing as though we have moved to the rhythm side of the album, we have a bit of beat here. This is a lively song with some really nice riffs thrown in. The little descending chord thing is very cool. It reminds me of another Elvis song, but the name isn't quite coming to mind ....

2. mark winstanley

In Your Arms
    Written By :
    Aaron Schroeder & Wally Gold

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, March 12-13, 1961 : March 12, 1961. take 2
    Another nice little rocker that has quite a bit of bounce to it. We also get a nice sax lead break in there.

3. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Well this just has the great Charlie Rich sound all over this record. Floyd Crammer is probably trying to emulate his great piano runs from what I assume would have been a demo provided by Charlie Rich himself. I cannot seem to find a Charlie Rich version of this song in my vast Rich collection. I was thinking someone like Johnny Cash recorded this as well, but I may be mistaken. Once again, Elvis and Rich could sing each others songs effortlessly and quite like they were kindred spirits in my mind.

4. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

There's at least one version that predates Elvis', complete with those fantastic piano fills:

While it's a perfectly serviceable performance, it has none of the magic of the Elvis version. Sure, Elvis basically copied the arrangement and cleaned it up (something he did on a regular basis), but as always, that voice makes the difference.

5. Revelator

Revelator Disputatious cartoon animal.

And Then I Wrote is a wonderful album of demos, including a few that Elvis should have done and would have been perfect for him ("Stand In," "You Don't Need Me Anymore," "My Side of the Story," "Not One Minute More," and "I Hurt").

Here's Don's excellent version of "Starting Today":

Brian Mc, Dave112, artfromtex and 3 others like this.
  6. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Darn that is beautiful. His voice has a strong element of Jim Reeves to it. I will have to get the album. Thanks for posting my friend!

7. mark winstanley

Elvis Presley Red West's Wedding to Elvis' Secretary Pat Boyd - July 1, 1961
    [​IMG]

artfromtex likes this.
  8. mark winstanley

1961 Elvis at Weeki Wachee, Fl
    [​IMG]

D.B. likes this.
  9. mark winstanley

10. mark winstanley

Put The Blame On Me
    Written By :
    Fred Wise, Kay Twomey & Norman Blagman

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, March 12-13, 1961 : March 13, 1961. take 5
    This is a great rock/blues with a very nice arrangement. At this stage Elvis was still obviously still very connected to the whole process and he is all over this. Nice electric piano. The guitar use of the rhythm guitar playing each other beat to add to the rhythmic groove of the verses.
    Gotta be happy with this track.

11. mark winstanley

Judy
    Written By :
    Teddy Redell

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, March 12-13, 1961 : March 13, 1961. take 8

"Judy" is a song written and originally released by Teddy Redell.[1]

Elvis Presley recorded his version on Monday, March 13, 1961, in the RCA Studios in Nashville. His recording originally appeared as track 4 of side 2 of the album Something for Everybody, released in June 1961.[1][2]

In 1967 two songs from the album, "Judy" and "There's Always Me", were released as a single.[3][4] The song "Judy" reached number 78 on the Billboard Hot 100 for the week of September 30, 1967.[5] while "There's Always Me" peaked at 56th during the previous two weeks.[6]
    --------------------------------------------------

This is a nice strutting little track. It has a nice, not completely usual chord structure. We have a feel that is part country and part early rock and roll. We get the added bonus of a little boogie piano lead break. This has a certain honky tonk flavour and is quite an appealing song.

RSteven likes this.
  12. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

On its release as a single in 1967, Judy reached number 5 on the Australian charts!

13. mark winstanley

Nice! ... We love our music down there and Elvis did always used to be popular.
    Thanks for the info :)

D.B., Dave Hoos and django5722 like this.
  14. HE1NZ

HE1NZ Forum Resident

I love these Roy Orbison-esque arrangements.

15. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

after listening to "something for everybody" on youtube, i think it might be elvis's most underrated album. great musicianship and great singing from the King.

also, for anyone interested in reading fiction about elvis, I recently read "the King," by Rich Koslowski. loved it. recommended.

16. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

We are currently in my favorite era for Elvis as far as vocals are concerned. As good as Elvis is, the musicians are keeping pace. Great performances by everyone.

I also think the material, while not having the "edge" of his earlier work, gets overlooked quite a bit. These are great pop songs and ballads. I do not skip a single track.

RobCos02330, Brian Mc, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  17. Revelator

Revelator Disputatious cartoon animal.

Indeed, this is a spunky, underrated track from an overlooked period. It recaptures some of the dirtiness of Elvis is Back and the rebelliousness of pre-army Elvis:

If they say we were doin' wrong,
    If they say we were out too long,
    Well you can say
    My arms were just too strong!
    Put the blame, put the blame on me!

Elvis sings like he's just had the best sex of his life and doesn't care who knows it. The world could end now and he wouldn't bat an eyelid. If Something For Everybody had another song or two with the edge and sexiness of "Put the Blame on Me" it would have been a perfectly balanced album.

D.B., Dave112, MaestroDavros and 2 others like this.
  18. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I love all three of these splendid observations so much and I think that they are so spot on that I just had to highlight them one more time for everybody to absorb them one more time!

D.B., Dave Hoos, Bevok and 2 others like this.
  19. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

I listened to the album again, and find it's pretty darn good. It's kind of a late night album for the evening and wee hours. "Judy" and "I Slipped" are the weaker songs on side 2, but the piano and piano solo on the former are still pretty darn good.

D.B., mark winstanley and RSteven like this.

20. Love this track, possibly my favorite from the album. I feel this was a missed opportunity as a single had it been released in 1961. Chris Isaak does/did a great live version of this track:

21. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Nice cover. Almost turns it into a honky-tonker. A bit more twinkling piano and some steel guitar would do the trick!

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  22. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Forum Resident

Something I'm wondering a little about. Why didn't more of his movies get LP soundtracks instead of EPs and/or singles? Unless I missed one counting, only 17 films got an LP. As it is, those other films' songs are scattershot all over the place. That's something I found a little frustrating about his material. After I ripped the music to my laptop, I made a playlist putting all the singles, their respective b-sides, EP tracks, and LPs in release order. Let me tell you, it was "fun" trying to do that. The book included in the box certainly helped.

croquetlawns and mark winstanley like this.
  23. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The general rule seems to be that if a film had seven or more songs in it it got a soundtrack LP, but if it had six or less it did not. The only times they deviated from this pattern were Viva Las Vegas and Tickle Me. It is unclear why Viva Las Vegas didn't get a soundtrack, as it was one of Elvis' more popular films at the time and there was plenty of material: nine Elvis songs and three outtakes. Tickle Me presumably did not get a soundtrack LP because it was a cheapo cut-rate film (even by Elvis standards) and featured all previously-released material.

croquetlawns, RSteven, Shawn and 3 others like this.
  24. mark winstanley

I Want You With Me
    Written By :
    Woody Harris

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, March 12-13, 1961 : March 12, 1961. take 2
    This track has a nice staggered start that moves into a groove when the vocals come in. Certainly not the same but a close relation to Trouble. This is another song on here that hearkens back to the early days and going through this album track by track kind of makes me feel that he may have been trying to do that, but RCA's ordering of the tracks somewhat takes that effect away.

RSteven likes this.
  25. mark winstanley

I Slipped I Stumbled I Fell
    Written By :
    Ben Weisman & Fred Wise

Recorded :

Radio Recorders, Hollywood, November 7-8, 1960: November 8, 1960. take 13
    To me this is a cool song, although the bass vocal is a little goofy lol ... This is a pretty cool song and I like the little intro. It has a cool rhythm and again seems to lean back to the late fifties sound that Elvis had going on.

D.B. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.