My conclusion is Led Zeppelin Presence my #1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott Sheagren, Nov 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Sheagren

Scott Sheagren I’m a Metal,Rock,Jazz Fusion,Gaga type of guy. Thread Starter

Not sure why this album is not ever considered like one of the best albums they did!Its amazing to me.i love every song and they all jam so well.
    Is it anyone elses favorite?

2. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Favorite LZ or favorite overall lp?

Scott Sheagren likes this.
  3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I love it and find the fact that it was apparently hated when it came out quite remarkable.
    Led Zep IV is probably my favourite, but Physical Graffiti or Presence come in second

4. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

It clearly lacks the variety and scope of their best work. It lacks warmth too and has something of a forced style about it.

It does however have a certain charm of it's own and it is different from just about anything they did. I think it adds to their overall output in a reasonably positive way but ultimately fails by quite a distance when you try to put it in the context you have.

5. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

After hearing these albums so much in my lifetime, I can;t say I have a favorite. Presence is very good though, it'd be easier to just say "In Through The Out Door" is my least favorite.

6. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

It is my fifth favorite LZ album! Not counting live ones...

Crimson jon and Scott Sheagren like this.
  7. Sergius Wegmuller

Sergius Wegmuller Forum Resident

Definitely not although preferable to ITTOD. But Achilles is a majestic opener for sure.

8. Not sure I can definitively pick a favorite Zep lp, but I consider Presence an equal part of their canon and not a ‘lesser’ recording. The drumming is fantastic.

9. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

My least favorite of their eight studio albums.

To each his own, though. :)

10. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

In its day, I found it lacking.
    Today, I appreciate it much more.
    But not my favorite.

11. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

It's definitely great! Not my personal favorite by the band, but it certainly stands on its own.

I've been enjoying the super deluxe recently. Lots of great stuff in the box!

12. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

My least favorite Zep too. Outside of Achilles Last Stand and Nobody's Fault But Mine, most of the songs just aren't that memorable, IMO. I will say that it's Zep's best sounding record though.

13. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

By Zeppelin surpassed only by PG. But, Achilles is my favorite LZ number.

Greg Gee and mark winstanley like this.
  14. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Zep II is my favorite, always has been, but I do love me some Presence.

15. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Achilles Last Stand is great.....stacks up to their best work.

The rest seems to suffer from the fact that they were rushed and Plant's heart, by his own admission, was not in it.

To me, it's their first inferior album.

16. Echoed with the exception of "Tea For One" (I love that little 9 and a half minute ditty).

padesu, easyge, Dog Ear and 4 others like this.
  17. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

This.

18. Dellarigg

Dellarigg Forum Resident

Sadly, it's my least favourite, too. As someone said up above, it doesn't have the variety of their others. Feels a bit colourless. I still listen to it, of course.

Autotune Sucks and Fullbug like this.
  19. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Cool album cover. Great song in Nobody's Fault But Mine. The rest eh.

20. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

Presence is my favourite Led Zep album.

Bonzo is just so groovy and heavy on this one and Page's solos sound like he's tearing every note from the depths of his soul.
    If he hadn't sold it already, that is.

21. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I like it. It has grown in me over the years. But, overall, I think it needed more of a contribution from John Paul Jones...a few keyboards, stringed instruments, arrangments, etc.
    I know that was a conscious decision, but it lacks the depth of all previous albums.
    Could use more harmonies from Plant as well. I think the only ones are a bit at the end of Candy Store Rock. That being said, I still enjoy it immensely.

22. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I think it's great and underrated, much better than most give it credit for. I love this album, and while not my favorite, it's probably in my Zep top 5.

Found a US Swan Song original LP used last year, and it has a nice sound, lots of impact.

I think it's half a great album that starts to run out of steam by the last track. Not surprising, considering the amount of work the band had been doing by then, Plant's car accident, and Page's habits. Considering all that, it's amazing how well it came out.

"Achilles", "Nobody's Fault", "For Your Life" and "Candy Store Rock" (which has a furious and addictive groove) are all great cuts, which I like as much as anything else in the band's album high points. I can go back to this one again and again, where I'd rather not hear some of the earlier albums for the 1,000th time.

(and I've long thought that the band The Mars Volta almost styled much of their sound and approach on "Achilles Last Stand").

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    Greg Gee, CraigC, 2141 and 3 others like this.
  23. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

I think it suffers from being a bit monochromatic. The colors just aren't there.

24. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

The best part. Although, that song you mentioned and "Candy Store Rock" are quite fun.

25. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

It is in my top 3 for sure. Along with "In Through The Out Door" and either "I" or "III" holding the other spot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.