Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

So just for fun I thought it might be cool to look at alternate track listings for this album....

side one
    I'm Coming Home
    Put the Blame On Me
    It's A Sin
    Give Me The Right
    Gently
    Starting Today

side two
    In your Arms
    There's Always Me
    Judy
    Sentimental Me
    I Want You With Me
    I Slipped I Stumbled I Fell

I don't know... I might play around with that idea a bit more

RSteven likes this.
  2. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Well once again, Elvis and the Nashville Cats are in such a great groove. I like that comparison you make with Trouble too, which has always been one of my very favorite Elvis songs ever, both in its original incarnation for the King Creole album as well as the later versions for the 68 Comeback Special. The more I take a new listen to the songs from this album, the more I realize how underrated it really is in the Elvis cannon.

mark winstanley likes this.
  3. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I have always thought this track was pedestrian and formulaic. A noticeable step down from the authenticity of Elvis' 50's sides, the very thing this song in part attempts to recreate.

4. mark winstanley

agreed, I don't dislike it, but it is as you say

5. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Your song sequencing is very good my friend and far superior than the original line-up. I am not sure that I would change a thing, but I sure do love it when people re-visit these ideas from time to time.

D.B. and mark winstanley like this.
  6. mark winstanley

it's good fun. I use to take hours coming up with setlists ... when we made our album as a band we agonised over the sequence ... not that many folks ever heard it lol

RSteven likes this.
  7. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Is there a place where we can buy one of your band's CD's as I find your music knowledge and taste to be stellar? I know it may be far off from Elvis, but my tastes are very eclectic as well. I have even been known to listen to some rap on occasion, if you can believe that, as well as Percy Faith, so my tastes run far and wide.

8. mark winstanley

There isn't really a way to get one of our cd's these days ... I could burn you a copy, but I am not sure it would be your cup of tea. That album was kind of angry sort of nu-metal ...
    This link will take you to some of my stuff.... there's a lot of different stuff on there ... i like a lot of different music and never really felt drawn to a genre as such ... I even tried to write a big classical piece once lol, but, although i like it, it isn't exactly Tchaikovsky :)
    mark winstanley Songs

9. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Man, I really dig that Dispose song and you have a pretty damn good voice, my friend. Its funny, but I have a theory that really great music talents appreciate other really great vocal talents as well. I mean, Elvis really loved Roy Orbison, Roy Hamilton and Mario Lanza, among many others. What do they always say, "It takes one to know one." Well, it's nice to hear that our Thread Starter is very talented as well!

10. mark winstanley

oh, well thank you sir ... I miss playing my guitar ... i need to take some time away and play.
    the stuff with keyboards - I'll be honest, i had to record one hand at a time lol ... I'm not a keyboard player :)

RSteven likes this.
  11. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Another guy who says he plays piano with one hand is Michael Bublé, who says that he composes a lot of his songs this way even though he couldn't play proficiently to save his life.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  12. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Elvis Presley is set to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom on November 16, according to the following article in Rolling Stone magazine as well as USA Today and other media outlets.

Elvis Presley to Receive Presidential Medal of Freedom

It is also of note that Elvis is only the third music artist in the history of the honor to receive the award posthumously. The other two artists to get the honor after they died were Meredith Wilson and Count Basie, so this is quite the achievement for the boy from Tupelo!

13. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

The boy has done good!.

mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  14. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

This track is an anomaly on the album since it dates from the earlier Wild in the Country sessions and is the only track not recorded in Nashville. Consequently, it's the only track that doesn't feature the A-Team. Instead, Scotty and DJ (who were usually reduced to second chair in Nashville) are the primary guitarist and drummer. The track in fact is kind of a throwback to the 50s in that it also features Tiny Timbrell and Dudley Brooks. As noted, it's not a great song, but it's also not bad.

15. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

He would be so dang proud and thrilled.

16. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I was thinking the exact same thing Art as we all know he was more proud of his Jaycee's Ten Outstanding Young Men award than his music awards by all accounts.

artfromtex and mark winstanley like this.
  17. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Forum Resident

I just gave this a listen, and it felt like the album was over before you knew it. Didn't seem to flow real bad either, at least to me. All the songs are well done, and of course sound like almost everything else done at that time. It's definitely one I could go back and listen to and not regret it.

18. HE1NZ

HE1NZ Forum Resident

I think I Slipped I Stumbled I Fell works good as an album opener.

19. mark winstanley

It is remarkable, in this day and age, how short albums used to be.
    There is certainly nothing overly wrong with the order of the songs originally. I just think for Elvis at the time it would have been better to mix the ballads into the album rather than highlight them. We know he was going to lean in the direction of the ballad, and maybe that was the point, but I think it would have been better to keep the rock and roll up front, especially with all the focus moving into movies and soundtracks.

RSteven likes this.
  20. mark winstanley

His Latest Flame
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Written By :
    Doc Pomus & Mort Shuman

Recorded :
    RCA's Studio B, Nashville, June 25-26, 1961 : June 26, 1961. take 8

Released August 8, 1961

"(Marie's the Name) His Latest Flame" is a song recorded in a hit version by Elvis Presley and published by Elvis Presley Music in 1961. It was written by Doc Pomus and Mort Shuman and originally recorded by Del Shannon on the album Runaway With Del Shannon, which was released in June 1961.[2][3][4] The more famous and successful recording by Presley was released in August 1961. The relatively intense tune, featuring a Bo Diddley beat, performed well on both pop and easy listening stations, reaching No. 4 on the Billboard Hot 100, and No. 2 on the Easy Listening chart, based (at the time) on the Top 100. However, the single's Hot 100 chart run was atypical of a Top Ten hit. In the autumn of 1961 it shot from 22 to 4, then dropped to 10, then 26, all within the space of four weeks. The single (a double A-side with "Little Sister", as in the States) spent four weeks at No. 1 on the UK Singles Chart[5] — one of Presley's nine UK chart-toppers between 1960 and 1962.
    ----------------------------------
    This is a fantastic song, and up until doing this thread I would have probably said my favourite Elvis song from the sixties. Here we have a nice uptempo song with a bit of a Bo Diddley beat and a repeated middle eight/bridge? that works almost as a chorus. I don't have enough good things to say about this song. This is an essential Elvis song, and a fantastic single.

21. mark winstanley

Little Sister
    Written By :
    Doc Pomus & Mort Shuman

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, June 25-26, 1961 : June 26, 1961, take 4

"Little Sister" is a rock and roll song written by Doc Pomus and Mort Shuman.[1] It was originally released as a single in 1961 by American singer Elvis Presley, who enjoyed a No. 5 hit with it on the Billboard Hot 100. The single (as a double A-side with "(Marie's the Name) His Latest Flame") also reached No. 1 in the UK Singles Chart.[3] Lead guitar was played by Hank Garland, with backing vocals by the Jordanaires featuring the distinctive bass voice of Ray Walker.

Presley performs the song as part of a medley with "Get Back" in the 1970 rockumentary film Elvis: That's the Way It Is. The song would later be covered by such artists as Dwight Yoakam, Robert Plant, The Nighthawks, The Staggers, Pearl Jam, and Ry Cooder. Cooder's version was a number-one hit in New Zealand.[4]

The song lyric makes mention of "Jim Dandy" which was the title of a 1956 song "Jim Dandy" by LaVern Baker. An answer song to "Little Sister", with the same melody but different lyrics, was recorded and released under the title "Hey, Memphis" by Baker on Atlantic Records (Atlantic 2119-A) in September 1961.
    ------------------------------------------
    Is this the best double a-side that Elvis released? ... I don't know, but this must be close to it. This is a fantastic song also. The riff borrows a little from Johnny Kid and the Pirates Shakin' all Over, but it is definitely its own song. A really good rock song, that Elvis really did need to put out to reaffirm that he could rock. If you look at the 1961 releases, there were some great songs, and of course Elvis sang them very well, they were well recorded and the band was great, but there was a lot less rock and roll. So to me this is not only one of the best double a's that Elvis released, it was an extremely important release due to the type of songs these two were.

22. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Yes indeed, no doubt one of Elvis's very finest double sided hit singles and once again he shows off his great diversity and singing style. Doc Pomus said that Elvis was one of the only vocalists that ever recorded one of his songs that seemed to bring something entirely new to the song that Pomus never knew was even there before. A truly great compliment by one of the greatest songwriters of his time. I believe the only other singer he felt had the ability to bring something entirely new to a song that he had written was Ray Charles IIRC.

23. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

No question in my mind Mark. As the youngest of three girls, this was my song. "Little sister don't you do what your big sister done"...let's just say, I did my best Elvis. ;)

Doc Pomus was one of life's great souls. I highly recommend this beautiful documentary about him.

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  24. mark winstanley

Nice, cheers for the trailer!

25. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Two of my all time favorites. Both songs are timeless and have universal appeal. What a single!!

I sometimes run across an Elvis compilation which has one of these songs, but not both. Why??? These songs, in my mind, are a combo platter. Gotta hear 'em both!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    Shawn, GillyT, Brian Mc and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.