What's the best sounding "Boston"???????

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by robby, Nov 28, 2004.

1. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

I agree, I have the US 80's Epic and I think it sounds very good.

2. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

The last Japan for Europe CBS affiliated discs were from 1987. Some of these discs are very common, others rare. DADC Austria started the same year. My Japan for Europe Don't Look Back must be quite late because it has a 32 8P-193 matrix.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    sa5150 likes this.
  3. There is an issue right at the beginning of Smokin, the intro guitar riff sounds muffled. It’s been a long time since I played it, but IIRC it lasts maybe 10-15 seconds or so, then goes back to normal. If I get a chance I will give it another listen.

I always wondered if the DSD download was from the same transfer and might have the same issue.

sandimascharvel likes this.
  4. sa5150

sa5150 Forum Resident

It is the the same , don't waste your money on the downloads of Boston .

sandimascharvel and BGLeduc like this.
  5. Macman007

Macman007 Sitting mId-way between 2 very large speakers

I own a Boston ST Epic reissues from (the 80's) when the Barcodes were first being put on the back of the Lp jackets, as well as an very early ST double Wally, as well the DLB Wally. Along with many others posting here, I'm wondering if anyone has compared these new Friday reissues with the first 2 Wally mastered albums? Have any meaningful comparisons been made, are there any DR comparisons. I want to give new vinyl a chance, and I own many brand new reissues I love to listen to. I've also purchased about the same number that I didn't like. So that's what, 50-50 odds this release will be good?
    As for the digital folks, the CD issues of Boston ST and DLB, by far and away the best IMHO.I prefer the original early 80's US CD's. More room, breath, DR, yes you had to twist the volume knob a bit more, but that's what's missing from much of the over compressed crap being made today. If today's artists and their producers had their way, you wouldn't even have a volume knob anywhere; car, home or otherwise.

The Mantra today is 'I want it to sound as loud as is possible, then a little louder still'. CD as a format is a more than ample to convey then enjoy these titles sounding at their best. The same applies with a median turntable and cartridge/phono stage combo. The Wally LP's and early issue CD of both titles are excellent , If you have the equipment to enjoy them on, not PC speakers or earbuds. Those CD's were selling used for about 3 bucks each used, if you hunt around, the preferred Wally on both side albums 1 and 2 should each set you back 2-3$ each. All together less than the cost of a new CD purchase from say Wally-world.

What are the Fridays reisses going for? Can we have some details written on them?

6. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

For me.........an early orange label double Wally is pure heaven. I never grow tired of listening to the incredible sound.

7. PixieStix

PixieStix Forum Resident

The EK 34188 is a good CD choice (Dynamic/Crankable) The Kevin Grey Vinyl is less dynamic but nicely balanced I love both.

8. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Less dynamic? o_O

9. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I like the remaster it's nice and loud.

10. PixieStix

PixieStix Forum Resident

more trebley as one would say

Bright was the word, after listening to 32・8P-192 samples i will seek this out.

11. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I agree, I have no problem with it.

12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Then why say dynamics instead of trebly? They’re two entirely different things.

13. PixieStix

PixieStix Forum Resident

It was getting late..:hide:

14. Claus

Claus Senior Member

SACD is the best version IMO.

15. Jaco944

Jaco944 Forum Resident

I have the DSD from HDTracks. I think it sounds pretty awesome but I’m a hi res newbie. To my ears there is an issue with Smokin but it’s not the guitars. The bass is a little too “bassy” and the lead vocal is too far back...low in the mix. Very strange. I’m still enjoying it as much today as the first time on vinyl....definitely holds up regardless your format of choice.

16. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I still like my old US CD.

17. tjannace

tjannace Well-Known Member

is the friday music the best version??

18. Tim Albertson

Tim Albertson Forum Resident

I have a question for some of you who may be better at interpreting deadwax info. I currently have in my possession, two pressings of Boston's self-titled album from 1976. I also have the Friday Music pressing ordered and on the way. One of my early pressings is an orange label Wally / Wally cut. My second early pressing has this deadwax info from this pressing Boston - Boston
    • Matrix / Runout (A-Side etch exc “P" stamp): P PAL-34188 1G
    • Matrix / Runout (B-Side etch exc "MASTERED BY CAPITOL” stamp): PBL-34188 1-G Wly MASTERED BY CAPITOL
    My question that I'm hoping you can help with is, how do I find out who mastered the first side? Do I assume that it is Wally as there is an absence of an "AZ" that would indicate Allen Zentz? I've been collecting vinyl for almost a decade now, but have stuck mostly with the well-respected audiophile labels, such as Classic Records, AP, MFSL, AF, Analog Spark, and such. I'm really lacking in my original pressing dead-wax interpreting abilities... Thanks in advance...

19. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

Can anyone tell me the difference between these SEVEN choice from the version DIDP 020006 which seems to be the one you all seem to suggest is the definitive version???

DIDP 020006 music | Discogs

Having so many choices instead of 1 definitive has me very confused!!!

20. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

I took a look at the link you posted and I think they're all probably the same master but all different pressings from the 80's through the 90's.

21. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

What RnRmf said, and if you're into comparing different pressings of the same mastering like those are, I can say that I slightly prefer my original Japan 328P to my US DADC stamped issue. They are close, but I found the original Japan to have better and tighter low end and overall being slightly clearer and spacious so I can't imagine it sounding better than that pressing. But any original pressing is going to be better than the Scholz remaster. The Mastersound remaster was clean, but dry and bright compared to the original CD IMO.

22. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

Funny you say that - My impression is that I think I like my '89 25 8P slightly better, too. I have all the US masters of this title that I'm aware of. I haven't done a deep comparison because the 25 8P is the most recent copy I got in 2018, I think.

update - I just looked in the dynamic range database and 25 8P is supposed to be the same as the US press in that Discogs link a few posts up, but I think I swapped back and forth when I first got it and noticed some differences but reading that prompts me to do a more detailed comparison in the near future.

sandimascharvel and George P like this.
  23. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

insert every audiophile cliche... "It's like hearing it for the first time... etc."

And they are all true. This LP is simply pure heaven. Find one of these and you don't need another copy.

c-eling and Dr. Funk like this.
  24. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

I just did a bit of A/B comparing, and I think my vinyl rip of the Wally-cut Epic vinyl edges out the SACD to my ears. Bass and mids are a little fuller and richer sounding; highs are smoother.

fluffskul likes this.
  25. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Forum Resident

Favor to ask....

Can someone that has a Wally cut vinyl post images of the label and deadwax? I am looking for one and the info on discogs sometimes is confusing as there can be multiple entries for the same pressing that creates some ambiguity. Any images would help my search. Thanks!