Endless Defective Brand New Vinyl

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Talisman954, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Same here. UK pressings, and those from Germany, France and Holland, were very very good and quality control was excellent. I bought thousands of records from the late 70's on throughout the 80's and I can only remember taking back two albums. One that skipped and another that had about 10 labels on one side.

Talisman954 and E.Baba like this.
  2. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Actually know what you mean..the one MOV title I have is CCR's Willy and the Poors Boys and, while sounding great, could very well be digital, I actually don't know.

3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

With MOV I restrict myself to later recordings that likely are digital. Analogue sourced recordings are mainly cut from hi-res transfers unless they have the old CBS metalwork or get a lacquer supplied. In the later case only the Dylan and Hendrix mono titles are ones I know off. Often there are alternative pressings from the US that use an analogue source.

Jim B. likes this.
  4. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I own a few titles from that label and from the sound quality standpoint, they sounded great. For example, I own a couple Ministry albums from Music on Vinyl and noticed major dynamic range improvement over the CD/digital mediums. Some titles uses the original metal works (i.e., Alice in Chains and Rage Against The Machine, I think) but for the most part, they receive high-resolution digital files from the original masters/post-mixes.

Mister President likes this.
  5. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

what i love about the MOV folks is their willingness to divulge the source for their pressings. all you have to do is contact them. very customer focused company.

nosliw and uzn007 like this.
  6. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

They also replied to my questions as well when I asked about the masters for several MOV titles. What's also great is that you can send a wishlist of albums and artists that you want to see it being reissued by them. What I noticed that several artists from the wishlists I sent to them actually gotten releases, though not the actual specific albums... yet.

GentleSenator likes this.
  7. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

And they give you the wrong information. They said they received original metal parts for Alice in Chains, Dirt...which is totally not the case. Then when I questioned it, they ignored me.

8. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

oh? how did you find that out?

9. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Agreed, except postage to Oz out of the US has become prohibitive.

10. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just had Abbey Road 2012 vinyl from Amazon US yesterday.
    All sounded great until side 2 Here Comes The Sun. Audio and visual damage on that track, ordered a replacement.
    Bee Gees Timeless new release, both sets defective.
    Frank Sinatra - Ultimate - silent and stunning audio. Perfect copy in every way
    Yazoo - 4 Pieces. Vinyl brand new UK Vinyl Box Set. Upstairs At Eric’s debut from box set, awful awful pressing, sounded like a crackle factory with bad damage.
    Beatles 1 2 lp. First copy badly defective , 2nd copy perfect.
    It’s rare lately I do not have to return vinyl, but lately it’s mainly the vinyl, in the past it was a mixture of either battered artwork, or bad vinyl.

Christer likes this.
  11. Classicrock

Buy thro Amazon US sellers on Amazon au or from Amazon USA. Nominal or much lower delivery charges (should not be different than for UK from USA). Difficulty is often identifying the correct import pressing in their listings (and taking a chance).

12. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Yes. Exact pressing is hard to identify on Amazon.
    Besides that, Amazon has Geo blocked us from every Amazon except AU which is overpriced etc so I refuse to be part of that.

13. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

From the deadwax......it’s a new cut, probably from 96/24 files. If you look at Alice in Chains Unplugged, which uses original plates, you will see the original matrix numbers also in the deadwax.

GentleSenator likes this.
  14. Talisman954

Got my replacement Abbey Road 2012 vinyl today. Awful awful issues, even worse than first. The first was silent but had a bad click before and during Here comes the sun, this replacement was pretty much awful on every song.
    However I got the White Album 50th vinyl today and that thing is quiet as a mouse, no crackles no surface noise, and sounds fantastic too.

15. Classicrock

Got a skip on track one side 2 of Esher (some sort of sharp warp or bump). Had to order another box as Amazon won't exchange (refund only). It's the continuous curse of faulty pressings from Optimal.

16. This whole thing is getting out of hand.

Blues for Allah Rocktober - non fill side 2
    Sunday at the village vanguard/Waltz for Debby 2fer - scratch during side 2 of waltz (loud)
    White Album 4 LP - some defect causing noise and distortion on disc one side two

I feel I am more likely to receive defective than a solid copy as of late. It’s a never ending cycle of buying, play testing, then returning. And I don’t like returning things in general but when you are paying this much for music I expect a non defective product.

Is that so much to ask?

17. Talisman954

No it’s not.
    The quality control for vinyl is awful.
    I got 4 brand new OMD albums from amazon UK a few days ago, play tested them 1 of the 4 was fine, the other 3 noisy, have visual defects, these are brand new releases too.

18. Fleet Fox

Fleet Fox Forum Resident

I purchased last years 2017 remaster of REM 'Automatic For The People' yesterday and sorry to say that there are VERY LOUD hisses and pops throughout both sides.
    Sadly from reading reviews online this seems to be a standard problem, so not much point in ordering a replacement....

I think isn't a total disgrace that product like inferior product that should have never made it past quality control ends up on the shelves.
    Someone surely needs to be help accountable for this situation??

Satrus and Tommyboy like this.
  19. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i just went through 2 copies of this REM release and it's some of the most hideous vinyl i've ever seen. i truly don't understand how it can look this bad. thankfully one of the copies actually sounds fine.

20. Mmmark

Mmmark Forum Resident

Amazon DOES have an excellent no-questions-asked return/exchange policy, don't be afraid to take advantage of that! Also, do a bit of research and see which pressings are better before you buy. As far as warped records (i.e., every effing record these days) I've discovered that putting the record (in its inner sleeve) on a flat table under a glass cutting board with some weight on top overnight does wonders.

21. Fleet Fox

Fleet Fox Forum Resident

I am getting so peeved off now with poor quality vinyl pressings and I feel as if we don't make a stand as a 'vinyl community' that it's
    just not going to get any better. These 'pressing' plants need to be held to account about their pressing quality.

I have just had 3 awful pressings in a row, paying good money for them too, one is the new Teenage Fanclub Thirteen re-issue, the next
    was REMs Automatic for the People and the latest was John Williams 'A Life In Music'.....

Starting with the last one at least does anyone have an customer relations email address that I can make a complaint to for this one??:
    John Williams (4), The London Symphony Orchestra - John Williams: A Life In Music

Thanks in advance

Tommyboy likes this.
  22. Talisman954

The Police Every Move You Make box set arrived today.
    Zenyatta and Regatta vinyl both have issues, the other 4 vinyl pieces are perfect.
    Ordered a replacement box set.
    These Abbey Road Police remasters sounds stunning.

23. Classicrock

I seem to be getting records that jump in the outer grooves of one side. Only happened with new vinyl once in all my buying time 7 yrs ago. Lana Del Rey first album and that had an obvious kink. Returned a White Album 4lp set last week and now my copy of KB Red Shoes has same issue. Made worse by Amazon's recent policy of not exchanging for same item. Had to order 2nd copy of WA from them and another RS elsewhere. Both of these look like Optimal product yet again.

24. Talisman954

Are you in the US?
    They still exchange for same item for me, I just did one today.
    I got a 60th anniversary of Frank Sinatra only the lonely perfect apart from track 1 side one has clicks, the system did same item exchange

25. Classicrock

UK. I know it isn't just me.