Megadeth on vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Soundslave, Feb 24, 2018.

1. mertoo

mertoo Forum Resident

I have only one CTE on vinyl and it's listed on discogs as the UK&EU pressing, there's another one listed as EU but I'm sure they sound the same. Original CD always sounded thin, loud and harsh to me as if the treble boosted on purpose, never liked it. I also have the MOFI remaster/remix CD where you only hear Mustaine's vocal in front and everything else buried behind which kills the punch of the music. Original vinyl is the definitive version of this great album.

Soundslave likes this.
  2. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident Thread Starter

All right! I always thought the same about original CtE CD (and I have it). The sound of snare drum is of course better than on 2004 remix, but overall it is indeed treble boosted to my ears. Well, glad to know vinyl has better sound. I actually ordered CtE on cassette tape, so we'll see how it goes...

3. mertoo

mertoo Forum Resident

I bet cassette will sound better than the CD, at least your ears won't bleed:winkgrin:

Soundslave likes this.
  4. sam1982

sam1982 Forum Resident

I had a good listen to the 2010 Back on Black red edition (Megadeth - Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good! ) of Killing is my business

It isn't a version of the album I'd recommend, the pressing is quite sub par. Has a bit of noise in it, and I've only played this a few times since purchasing it new, but more annoyingly the cymbals at the end of Rattlehead lose their definition and become a bit washy, same with (but to a lesser extent) Mechanix on side two. I think it is just a poorly made product, there is only about 16 minutes of music on side 1 and less on side two, there should be absolutely no IGD or any other flaws on such short sides.

Aside from listening to the latest 'Final Kill' on headphones on the internet, this is the only version of the album I've ever heard. I am aware that it had poor production when it was initially released, however I don't think the washey sounding cymbals on two tracks are a result of that; the highs etc on the other songs sound quite fine, which leads me to believe this is just a badly made LP.

Is there any verdict as to the sound quality of the new 'Final Kill' Lp that has been released? I poked around a thread about it however from what I could tell the feedback on the sound related to the digital versions.

nosliw and Soundslave like this.
  5. Soundslave

I realised I never did a post about Endgame on LP, only metioned where it was pressed and who mastered it so I'll copy-paste my thoughts on it here:
    Megadeth - Endgame (2009, Germany, Cargo Records)
    Pressed at Celebrate Records plant and mastered by Kati Müller.
    Definitely a nice upgrade over CD version (I have an official Russian release that I've won through Metal Hammer Russia back in the day) which sounds very congested and muddy after the LP. On vinyl we have better separation, perfectly heard rhythm tracks in the back, note-for-note clear solos and more headroom. I can't say that the album reveals a whole different view but it has better sound on all fronts.
    9/10 for sound, 8/10 for packaging because while it has a nice gatefold the insert-sleeve is pretty thin and there's no separate booklet. Vinyl quality will be 9/10 with a little minus for its current condition since I got it second hand.

6. Soundslave

Wow, somehow I expected that Back on Black did a good version, looks like it's not the case.
    As I've mentioned I have Holland 1985 MFN46 pressing of the album and the only downside to me is it's in used condition so has some minor crackling between tracks - other than that sounds really good. No washiness whatsoever on any tracks.

As for other remasters - since you already have Final Kill there's no point to go for 2002 Loud Records CD - Final Kill actually is based on that remix from my personal track by track comparison. The one you might check out is Century Media 1999 reissue - not the 2009 or 2011. 1999 was their first reissue with remastering and it looks like it wasn't brickwalled at the time. I have 2011 CD and it has some distorted moments that are absent even on Final Kill.
    As for the LP - my copy has somewhat high degree of warping so I still wait for it to straighten up a bit since I don't have any clamps. I know some might ask for a replacement but I had so much troubles with just getting from Live Nation I left it as it is. Looks good though. I have limited signed Silver LP if you might wonder. I'll check if that LP became less warped so I could provide some input on sound.

7. sam1982

sam1982 Forum Resident

Back on Black have a pretty shady reputation around this forum, not only for pressing and artwork quality but also the audio sources used. I have a couple of titles from them that were purchased before I really knew what I was doing (this is such a constant them around the forum, seems like everyone has at some point bought some clangers) and while I don't have any issue with the two Opeth titles, the Megadeth is sub par in my opinion and I have a copy of Slayer's 'Hell Awaits' which I haven't listened to in so long that I can't give any description on the sound of it.

I think I'll keep an eye out for a copy of the Final Kill on LP and that should do me for this title. Where I live, the chances of an original MFN UK press are pretty much zero. I've read through quite a few of the Megadeth threads on here recently as my interest in the band had been re sparked and I have to say the amount of knowledge as to all the different pressings, Cd's, digital, remixes, what is used on what version is really quite astounding.

Soundslave likes this.
  8. Soundslave

Oh I see. I know about Back on Black reputation but somehow hoped that they did good job on KIMB reissue, don't know why, haha)

Well, if you have any questions regarding vinyl editions I already tried to cover them on the first page. If you want to know something specific about Megadeth CDs or Hi-res releases - feel free to throw me a PM, I'm a big fan of the band and know some facts and info :)

9. sam1982

sam1982 Forum Resident

I may be mistaken bit did you guys speak of a 2011 pressing of peace sells... that is really good? If so would you mind posting a discogs link to the specific version (Lp) I'd like to try find it! This thread started off a mad 80's megadeth kick!

10. Soundslave

I definitely stated here that I prefer UK 1986 and US/EU 2011 remastered over 2008/2016 Capitol from the Vaults issue. But the only way to get 2011 remastered version is PSBWB 25th Anniversary Boxset.

11. sam1982

sam1982 Forum Resident

Neat as, once again thanks for the info.

Soundslave likes this.
  12. Soundslave

Dorian75 likes this.
  13. Soundslave

Well, to keep the discussion up, both albums are remastered by Ted Jensen, who previously did KIMB The Last Kill reissue and probably The World Needs a Hero where he was listed as Tom Jensen :rolleyes:
    I guess there's a mistake in the press release on Coming Home being live track, probably it's just the same studio version from Japan CD. As for live takes of Time/Use the Man and The Conjuring I have strong concerns that they're both from Still, Alive... And Well? 2002 compilation and there they were noted as being from second to last Megadeth gig from Rialto Theatre at Tucson, AZ.
    Of course if that's true such bonuses aren't that cool but somewhat good I guess.
    Both albums btw were pretty loud to begin with, so it's interesting what we well get after remastering. I saw that Ted have some well-DR produced reissues but recent KIMB while being pretty clean still is a loud reissue.
    I'm also interested in some behind the scenes info since both albums were probably recorded digitally.

Adam Bosman likes this.
  14. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

Same thoughts and questions here. I ended up with both of these on vinyl over the years, so I'll be interested in how much of an upgrade these will be. My fear is they will be brickwalled messes like most of the Megadeth releases. I didn't think about the live tracks, but you're almost certainly correct that they are from Still Alive EP. Coming Home should've been re-inserted into its proper place in the track order too. I do love The World Needs a Hero. The Degrasso era is overlooked but had some great stuff in it.

Soundslave likes this.
  15. Soundslave

Glad I'm not the only one with concerns :) Great that you have both of those albums on original LPs. I really like the MOV version of TSHF but again it's not the same level as Endgame CD vs LP where LP definitely sounds better to a certainly noticeable degree. Would love to hear feedback from you if you will get those new reissues and compare with the OGs!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    Adam Bosman likes this.
  16. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Hi guys

I just picked up a 1990 UK pressing of RIP off of eBay. Amazingly, it’s in even better condition than advertised. Both media and sleeve are NM; in fact it looks so good I suspected at first they’d falsely sent me a new pressing. But no, it’s definitely this one:

Megadeth - Rust In Peace

It sounds fantastic! Great mastering and very good pressing quality. Really punchy, full, open sound and no ticks or pops at all.

So now I’m wondering, can the US original pressing sound so much better to justify its sky-high prices? I’m talking about this one:

Megadeth - Rust In Peace

Has anyone heard both, or at least heard the US original, and can comment on its sound quality?

I would guess they both have the same mastering?

Thanks.

17. Soundslave

I can only add from my experience with PSBWB - a different mastering engineer was working on UK issue.
    As for RiP, Valeron (I've already mentioned him in the thread - vinyl collector and "needledropper" from Russia) made a review of Rust in Peace. He had UK LP previously and stated that it was the definitive vinyl version. I got that the US is not the one you should spend all your money on :)
    Translated subs are not perfect, but I think you'll get the picture.
    Start from 7:43

In case you wouldn't want to get through all the info: he said that the US 1st pressing is good, like 8/10 for sound, but the UK one is definitely 10/10 for sound while being more fragile.
    Overall score is 10 for US, 8 for UK (only because US LP is more durable for continous listening).
    He warned to stay away from 2008 Capitol from the Vaults because the quality of the vinyl itself is subpar on that reissue, so it only got 5/10 from him.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    oddmentandtweak, nosliw and Dorian75 like this.
  18. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Thanks. I don’t know how to turn the subs on, so I couldn’t understand him. But at about 7.45 where he plays short clips of all three versions, the UK original clearly sounds better than the other two, to my ears. Sounds like I got lucky!

Thanks!

Soundslave likes this.
  19. ripping corpse

ripping corpse Forum Resident

I did an A/B comparison between the original US and Euro. 1990 pressings of RIP today, and on my set up they virtually sound identical. A good solid sounding recording that is easily crankable , and one of my all time favorites. That being said it does lack the overall power, dynamics, and detail of Slayer-South of Heaven, for example, or even Metallica - AJFA.
    I'm not knocking the OG, RIP vinyl, I like it just the way it is.
    This thread has me curious about the UK press now. I had the only NM copy of the UK pressing in my Discogs cart this morning, and of course now it's gone. Perhaps due to the last few comments in this thread.

Soundslave and Dorian75 like this.
  20. Soundslave

Oh, thank you so much for doing this :) I had my hopes since EU pressing is the only one I got for a good price, and while it was an improvement over 2008 Capitol from the Vaults, I still had some concerns regarding it being inferior to US and UK. I'm pretty happy to know that it is close (if not identical) to US pressing.

ripping corpse likes this.
  21. Soundslave

There's a button on Youtube player window, bottom right corner, left to the Settings button. So you press subtitles, than go to Settings and choose Translate-> English.
    But just in case, I already gave you some brief translation of Valeron's thoughts :)

Dorian75 likes this.
  22. Soundslave

And I totally agree with you on those. I still think the original mix is a bit flat, but what makes it cool - it was still recorded analogue in studio :)

23. Soundslave

Btw Warheads on Foreheads was announced to be released on 4 LPs. Actually it marks the first Megadeth "greatest hits" to be released on vinyl.
    Megadeth

24. Soundslave

25. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

The Capitol From The Vaults Rust In Peace is not bad. If your intention is to critically listen, then you’ll want to get an original, but if all you want to do is turn it up and casually listen, the FTV RIP will do fine. I played my copy yesterday, and it sounded like RIP. I also have an US OP. Sometimes the hyperbole can get a bit thick with all of us that are into music, myself included. I just felt like sticking up for this one, as IMO, the only time the Vaults need needs to be “avoided” is if you want to critically listen.

oddmentandtweak likes this.